Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

baby its cold outside
    temp_uk.png

Jaysus -22C in Dublin? Definitely felt quite parky outside, that's for sure! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Walking + Snow = One very happy and excited dog.

16420090001_53dbfdaf0c_c.jpg
    untitled-2230.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

16395883176_6bd07e6584_c.jpg
    untitled-2222.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

16235628589_1b71d00ace_c.jpg
    untitled-2238.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

Snowball fight

16234203178_ce2e6ab723_c.jpg
    untitled-2254.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

16395889036_8bbd06e029_c.jpg
    untitled-2263.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

We might all end up this deep in snow before Wednesday,,,
    16234456720_7d1afc2267_c.jpg
    untitled-2259.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

Then again maybe not. Who knows haa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Villain wrote: »
    Yep 15 out of the 25 Met Eireann stations reported temps of 0c or below at 21:00 with Gurteen in Tipp lowest at -3c, while my station has hit -4.1c
    Villain do you think we might get some snow around these parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Im not an exceptional dog lover but I have to say thats so cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

hollster2 wrote: »
    Villain do you think we might get some snow around these parts?

Very hard to call at present I would say a dusting with maybe a few lucky areas getting maybe 3cm - 5cm but you are probably just a little too far East on this occasion :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Villain wrote: »
    Very hard to call at present I would say a dusting with maybe a few lucky areas getting maybe 3cm - 5cm but you are probably just a little too far East on this occasion :(

aww :( well atleast some will get to have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Im not an exceptional dog lover but I have to say thats so cute!

I had a pain in my stomach from laughing at her.

The shear happiness on her face.

a bit like myself ahem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

The smaller roads here in west Galway are already lethal. Tomorrow should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's not getting any clearer

gfs-2-36.png?18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Main area of precipitation seems to have shifted eastward compared to earlier run.

33-779UK_kyx5.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

16420090001_53dbfdaf0c_c.jpg
    untitled-2230.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

16395883176_6bd07e6584_c.jpg
    untitled-2222.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

16235628589_1b71d00ace_c.jpg
    untitled-2238.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

Snowball fight

16234203178_ce2e6ab723_c.jpg
    untitled-2254.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

16395889036_8bbd06e029_c.jpg
    untitled-2263.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

We might all end up this deep in snow before Wednesday,,,
    16234456720_7d1afc2267_c.jpg
    untitled-2259.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

Then again maybe not. Who knows haa

Now there is a post with photos that made me smile :) thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It's not getting any clearer

Yep Harmonie has nothing crossing the Shannon while cork see plenty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Any update on the 18 maq or do you only deliver bad news lol?

The gfs has upgraded the potential over the last couple of runs and is now identical to what it showed 2 days ago ie a snow fest

It isn't often we get a bite at nationwide snow indeed even 2010 was more notable for severe cold.

My punt is 2 inches plus for Cork

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

Any update on the 18 maq or do you only deliver bad news lol?

The gfs has upgraded the potential over the last couple of runs and is now identical to what it showed 2 days ago ie a snow fest

It isn't often we get a bite at nationwide snow indeed even 2010 was more notable for severe cold.

My punt is 2 inches plus for Cork
    My iPhone said that hours ago funny that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

theres that low. :)
    gfs-0-18.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Main area of precipitation seems to have shifted eastward compared to earlier run.

33-779UK_kyx5.GIF

Looks good for many areas. Only issue is that N/E wind will be strong and might push system out S/W before it reaches east coast. Possible streamers then for the East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

On Monday I posted the 5-day accumulated precip chart for up to yesterday 12Z. This is it. Below it is my (badly drawn) chart of actual totals based on synop reports. Broadly speaking the south and east did get more than forecast while the north and west got less. That band through south Ulster and north midlands/Leinster stands out, due to those training snow showers that set up on Wednesday.

So I suppose we can say that that we should take treat these charts cautiously in convective setups.

336568.png

337333.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

18Z HIRLAM downgrades the amount of sleet/snow even more for Monday/Tuesday. Mainly confined to the southwest now with less in the west. Elsewhere looking mostly dry.

jllL5x0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Does any agreement exist on mon night / Tuesday morn at all in here?

MT seems confident about east coast prospects as do Met ....
    Other "regular" contributors are dismissing all but SW and W from snow.
    Surely 24 hours out it should be clearer than it's being made out to be on here...!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The weather station is forecasting snow:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Met Eireann update / upgrade?;)

01 February 2015 22:53

Today Very cold and frosty overnight, with a risk of icy stretches on roads. Many areas will be dry, but scattered wintry showers will occur, mainly along Atlantic coasts at first, but spreading further inland across the southwest, west and north by morning, with the risk of snow accumulating in a few places inland. Patches of mist and fog also, in slack winds. Minimum temperatures zero to minus 4 C.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Monday will be a very cold day, with sunny spells developing in most places, but some scattered wintry showers will occur, becoming more widespread across Connacht and west Munster later. Maximum temperatures 3 to 7 Celsius, in a light northerly or variable breeze.

Outlook

Monday night will be cold with outbreaks of rain, sometimes falling as sleet and snow, particularly over western areas and over hills and mountains. Temperatures will be well below freezing with light winds over land, becoming fresh along western coasts. Some low level accumulations may occur by morning.

Tuesday: Wintry showers will continue with occasional falls of snow, especially on the higher ground. Temperatures will remain low in northerly breezes; highest values 2 to 5 degrees. Severe frost again overnight.

The GFS is consistent across it's ensemble suite for tomorrow night. Euro4 will be out shortly so we'll see how consistent it is with the previous run.

gens-21-2-36.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I believe the gfs ppn charts to be exceptionally accurate.
    In general the gfs has been performing quite well this Winter particularly since it got upgraded.

The beeb charts are also a favourite of mine and they are also in agreement so it's game on as far as I'm concerned

The beeb charts are also a favourite of mine and they are also in agreement so it's game on as far as I'm concerned

The charts used by the UK Met Office for the BBC are the Euro4 charts. They change every 6 hours so the forecast is not going to be the same now as it was earlier today in terms of graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

barney 20v wrote: »
    Does any agreement exist on mon night / Tuesday morn at all in here?

MT seems confident about east coast prospects as do Met ....
    Other "regular" contributors are dismissing all but SW and W from snow.
    Surely 24 hours out it should be clearer than it's being made out to be on here...!

I don't think anybody's dismissing anything yet. It's more of a discussion on various model's output and trying to make sense of things. Broadly speaking it's ECM vs. GFS on whether the precip. will be confined to the west or will be more widespread, with GFS sticking to it's guns on the latter. It's a tough one to call ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Rougies wrote: »
    I don't think anybody's dismissing anything yet. It's more of a discussion on various model's output and trying to make sense of things. Broadly speaking it's ECM vs. GFS on whether the precip. will be confined to the west or will be more widespread, with GFS sticking to it's guns on the latter. It's a tough one to call ;)

But, in general, isnt the ECM the more reliable of the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Rougies wrote: »

If ye can't call it at 24 hours out boys and girls I recommend stop trying and let's see what's about to happen.

Smidge wrote: »

Yes, but the GFS has won many a battle too. GFS did better for storm Juno in the US recently for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Smidge wrote: »

Any differences between models +24hrs out should, in theory, be minimal.

This is a tough one to call... My gut says snow will be more widespread than is being shown- depths are anyone's guess though. Hopefully we will have a clearer picture in the morning but I can see this being a nowcast situation looking at the radar to see what precipitation is around.

• Advertisement

barney 20v wrote: »
    If ye can't call it at 24 hours out boys and girls I recommend stop trying and let's see what's about to happen.

But these are the best times to try to call it! You go watch your lampost :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement