Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Hi-res NMM (which is based off GFS data I think?) gives a light covering of snow to much of the country Tuesday morning with the NW doing particularly well. It's not going to be anything spectacular either way but still a possibility of a nationwide event, my money would be on the Euro models but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out

nmm_uk1-1-35-4_pdw5.png

nmm_uk1-45-35-4_yia6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

18z Euro4

15020306_0118.gif

We couldn't get agreement on whether a fly was walking up or down a window atm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I have a straw in my drink and I'll hold on to it for safe keeping! Nobody seems convinced what is gonna happen from tomorrow evening onwards in terms of snow. It could be our typical luck that it will be cold enough for snow but no precipitation worth talking about while the UK gets hammered or we could all be surprised with some snow in the south-west and nice streamers in the east! keeping most people happy. 3 days ago was promised to be a dry sunny day in the east but several areas saw decent snow and most places had a dusting so anything can happen.

I think most charts are clear tho on the fact that from next Wednesday onwards it will be dry, sunny, cold and clear and with a very slow return to mild atlantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Walking + Snow = One very happy and excited dog.

untitled-2230.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

untitled-2222.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

untitled-2238.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

Snowball fight

untitled-2254.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

untitled-2263.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

We might all end up this deep in snow before Wednesday,,,

untitled-2259.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

Then again maybe not. Who knows haa

What a dote!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ohhhhhhhh my hopes are up for this :D:D:D bring it on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

According to this, I may see a bit of snow in the morning here in West Clare.
    uksnowrisk.png

This one for TUES morn at 06:00 shows alot of snow. Although it may not be accurate so no-one get their hopes up.
    uksnowrisk.png

Its amazing that I am completely 50:50 as to if it will snow in 8 hours.

Yellow warning in place by Met Eireann.
    Widespread frost overnight, with a risk of icy patches. Scattered wintry showers, mainly in parts of Ulster, Connacht and west Munster, could give accumulations of up to 3 cm in places overnight and on Monday morning.

Issued:Sunday 01 February 2015 21:00
    Valid:Monday 02 February 2015 00:01 to Monday 02 February 2015 10:00

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Yellow warning in place by Met Eireann.

Would you consider Macroom, west munster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

As I said today met Eireann are going to be red faced come Wednesday wen the snow they didn't forecast comes to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

aisling86 wrote: »
    Would you consider Macroom, west munster?

Macroom is very well positioned for snow in 12 hours time or less according to the charts. Cork city might be too far east.

• Advertisement

Macroom is very well positioned for snow in 12 hours time or less according to the charts. Cork city might be too far east.

What charts are you going by? Ill have a quick look over a few I know but I didnt really see much bar the western fringes of kerry.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    What charts are you going by? Ill have a quick look over a few I know but I didnt really see much bar the western fringes of kerry.

According to this precipitation macroom looks good at 9am
    ukprec.png

And also the snow risk
    uksnowrisk.png

I withdraw my previous comments, macroom looks good! If you get any post pictures.

After watching the RTE forecast again, there looks to be a nice north-east wind next thurs/fri.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Do Met Eireann EVER understate an event? Any event? Especially a snow event?

They are notorious for overstating things to be on the safe side.

If they say we will get a dusting of snow, we will probably get sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

All a massive exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

They've understated a few things in their time too.

What's happening at the moment is there are a number of models forecasting snow in the next 48 hours and a number that aren't. The ones Met Éireann use (principally HIRLAM) aren't seeing as much precip as we'd like.

They're saying what they see, but they're not seeing everything. Time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

''Where's that 8 inches you promised me last night''

They don't want people asking .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

At least in the US, they apologize for getting it wrong, as i've heard them do it on twitter:)

Its so strange, I am completely unsure whether I will wake to snow or now. This is one of the most difficult to predict cold spell I have witnessed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Snowing lightly at the moment here in Dungiven, Derry.. A nice covering :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Any snow in Killarney? Wouldnt mind going up Mangerton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

00z GFS pretty much sticking to it's guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

On rain today website you can see a band of precipitation about to hit Galway Clare and Kerry and coming at a nice angle for limerick and cork if it has any pep in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

On rain today website you can see a band of precipitation about to hit Galway Clare and Kerry and coming at a nice angle for limerick and cork if it has any pep in it.

Snizzle.
    North Wales on the other hand is enjoying the opposite of the IoM shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Today was an absolute joy. Cold but blue skies. Very little wind too. Lakes were like glass.

My appraisal also.. my hour knitting in the sun was wonderful...

Walking + Snow = One very happy and excited dog.

16420090001_53dbfdaf0c_c.jpg
    untitled-2230.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

16395883176_6bd07e6584_c.jpg
    untitled-2222.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

16235628589_1b71d00ace_c.jpg
    untitled-2238.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

Snowball fight

16234203178_ce2e6ab723_c.jpg
    untitled-2254.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

16395889036_8bbd06e029_c.jpg
    untitled-2263.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

We might all end up this deep in snow before Wednesday,,,
    16234456720_7d1afc2267_c.jpg
    untitled-2259.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

Then again maybe not. Who knows haa

Wonderful; thank you. Takes me back to 2010 and 2011 when my two were like that! Nostalgia as collie now is blind and winding her life down... but they had a wonderful time..THANK YOU!!

Heading for six am here on a bitterly cold, two HWB morning. Still and so quiet..cloudy too... my washing has been on the line since yesterday so we shall see. Oh met.ie just added a gale warning to their site..forecasts are very.....conservative.. so we take what comes and be thankful! Need for milder weather frankly... too much cold and too little money to spare. So we walk on..patient endurance attains all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭skirtgirl

Grace you get up too early

skirtgirl wrote: »
    Grace you get up too early

Not at all! My family are overseas so I live in different time zones and I wake naturally around 3 or 4 and love the silence and peace of the early hours. Being disabled means I am off my feet a lot and bed is bliss in cold weather... Done this for around 30 years! Us old ones are like this...Love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Commuting from Kerry to Cork ... Was snowing from killarney onwards .... Just parked at work .... Light snow here as well (ovens)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement