Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I'll say with confidence that nearly everywhere will see at least a dusting by tomorrow evening

7uYKMj.png

06Z HIRLAM has a narrow band of snow reaching about the halfway point across the country tomorrow morning before fizzing out around noun.

6xrzTD.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A beautiful gentle quiet day up here in the south kerry mountains 400ft asl.. soft rain earlier and such beautiful cloud formations over the north mountains. Has been a day to feel better and to work at housework and other long neglected tasks, to think of setting broad bean seeds indoors and to plan my summer garden. Long may it last...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Stopped snowing here with no accumulation, but seems to be a nice bit on the mountains.Nice clear sky opening up as well
    http://imgur.com/tHuV5Ms.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Stopped snowing here with no accumulation, but seems to be a nice bit on the mountains.Nice clear sky opening up as well
    http://imgur.com/tHuV5Ms.jpg

It did look very light on the radar. Heavier stuff stayed off shore.

Any low level accumulations anywhere in the southwest from that light snow this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Hard for the authorities to cater for driving like that.
    Gritting is only of limited effect if it's snowing hard - not much they can do, especially if the roads are blocked.

Living up in the mountains, I'm often asked why I don't have 4x4. I've never failed to get up and home (so far at least) in 2 wheel drive cars. When I've been delayed, it's because someone else has got stuck. If you stop you're screwed. I've been sat waiting for a queue to clear, along with all those in the 4x4's. Over cautious just doesn't work in snow, it's what will get you stuck on an incline!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

This was our snow cover this morning.It looked like it was mostly from hail showers. Slight thaw happening now in the sun but still a fair amount of white about.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Any low level accumulations anywhere in the southwest from that light snow this morning?

I know Killarney had a dusting this morning but sunshine probably melting it as we speak. Higher elevations in East Kerry did well too id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

My weather station in Arklow in good sunshine has just hit 7c :eek:
    I think I know what the precip type will be here off the Irish sea

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Anyone lucky enough to get a dusting tonight better get up early before it melts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Anyone lucky enough to get a dusting tonight better get up early before it melts ;)

Always up early but time for some spring weather now..tired of winter, really tired of it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I know Killarney had a dusting this morning but sunshine probably melting it as we speak. Higher elevations in East Kerry did well too id say.

got a dusting here as well near mallow but all melted now. we should get more later if the precipitation makes it inland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Thats some difference suns shinning here but its -0.1 going by my outside therm, The small breeze that is here would cut through you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Looking across the bay, the Dub Mts still have a nice dusting. Anyone been up? Would love to see photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

There was where I am but its melting as I type. I would be a bit high up.About 50k north east of Bantry bay Pretty while it lasted.

If we get frost tonight will be very messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

hollster2 wrote: »
    Thats some difference suns shinning here but its -0.1 going by my outside therm, The small breeze that is here would cut through you!

Aye,I'm using a Davis Vantage pro 2 in the middle of a field so Very accurate
    If I were to relocate it into the shade and near the ground It would probably read 1c but very inaccurately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I see Met Eireann update has no warning for later this evening so must not see anything of too heavy precipitation wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kmoneill

We had about 2cm here in mid kerry by 9am ,although i am 170m asl.. most melted now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

National Weather Warnings

Just issued
    STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Ireland

Very cold, frosty and icy tonight.
    Some snow showers also mostly affecting parts of Ulster, Connacht and west Munster with accumulations of 2 or 3 cm.
    Issued:
    Monday 02 February 2015 12:00
    Valid:
    Monday 02 February 2015 22:00 to Tuesday 03 February 2015 10:00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

they seems to be expecting this front to slide down the West Coast. if it moves an further west it will miss us completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yeah 6z NMM has jumped towards the hirlam solution . Has the front reaching down to the center of the country and then veering back of SW , so Ulster , Connaught and parts of Munster are the areas of interest.

I guess i WILL be having college then tomorrow here in Dublin ... :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Yeah 6z NMM has jumped towards the hirlam solution . Has the front reaching down to the center of the country and then veering back of SW , so Ulster , Connaught and parts of Munster are the areas of interest.

I guess i WILL be having college then tomorrow here in Dublin ... :'(

Ye, struggling to find any recent runs that bring it all the way to the East coast, even the GFS has put it further West now although still with some decent precip in the midlands

24-779UK_rkq3.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

6z Euro4 - good for snow for most and some heavy snow too. Not so positive for the east.

15020306_0206.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Will just have to go looking for it this time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

National Weather Warnings

Just issued
    STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Ireland

Very cold, frosty and icy tonight.
    Some snow showers also mostly affecting parts of Ulster, Connacht and west Munster with accumulations of 2 or 3 cm.
    Issued:
    Monday 02 February 2015 12:00
    Valid:
    Monday 02 February 2015 22:00 to Tuesday 03 February 2015 10:00

Pretty much as expected in terms of amounts and locations. It's a shame the more intense PPN that the models were hinting at a few days ago got downgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nothing to suggest any streamers will even trouble the east tomorrow or Wednesday. Most of Leinster, certainly the eastern 100km band could remain bone dry right through the week, great news for draining of land ahead of the planting season. Even the frost should ease after two or three more nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Like last week where no snow was forecast for Dublin by met eireann and it took me 2 hours to get down the m50 with snow accumulating on the roads in South Dublin. Sandyford was well covered in snow and nothing was forecast by ME. Same the week before when the garden got a decent covering
    I see Met Eireann update has no warning for later this evening so must not see anything of too heavy precipitation wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

6z Euro4 - good for snow for most and some heavy snow too. Not so positive for the east.

15020306_0206.gif

The eastern snow drought continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

People saying snow drought continues in the east, where?? Clearly the likes of carlingford, Dundalk, South Dublin and Wicklow have seen plenty of snow the past couple of weeks. Just because every garden doesn't get snow doesn't mean the east is getting a drought.

Donegal and North west have been pummelled with snow but maybe there are even places there that escaped snow. There will always be a handful of locations that don't see snow
    The eastern snow drought continues...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

For Cork fans we can expect several cm of lying snow by the morning.
    The models agree on at least a few hours for us through the night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement