Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

That low can be seen swirling around just north west of the mayo coast on satellite view. Click on Meteociel.fr and the satellite view is on the home page.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The greatest snow depth recorded at Shannon Airport since 1961 is just 6cm, on 27th Feb 1978.

It really wouldn't take much of an "event" to break that record, yet it's hasn't happened in all those years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

The greatest snow depth recorded at Shannon Airport since 1961 is just 6cm, on 27th Feb 1978.

It really wouldn't take much of an "event" to break that record, yet it's hasn't happened in all those years.

I've seen that stat before, does this refer to greatest depth actually recorded, or depth recorded at 9 AM, per the standard,? Seems very little considering some of the events we've had over the years,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

12z GFS pushes the front further West again
    18-779UK_hsu6.GIF

I've seen that stat before, does this refer to greatest depth actually recorded, or depth recorded at 9 AM, per the standard,? Seems very little considering some of the events we've had over the years,

Listed on a Met Eireann table of greatest snow depths at synoptic stations produced in 2012. Doesn't mention anything about calculations limit to a specific time. I suppose Shannon has just been unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Trogdor wrote: »

That's it for the east so. ECM wins.

Trogdor wrote: »

It's probably still overdoing the amount of PPN there, but that's understandable since its a global model and doesn't have as fine a mesh as the hi-res models.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The 9am recording. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I heard the RTE news on the radio a while ago and they talked of a band of rain moving down turning to sleet and wet snow. Very specific about the wet snow. Sounds like ME v confident this won't amount to much......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

It feels way too warm here in Galway for decent snow. Hopefully not. It is dry enough to stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

It feels way too warm here in Galway for decent snow. Hopefully not. It is dry enough to stick.

4C in Athenry alright but dew point is just about below 0 so should still be wet snow rather than sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Ice day for some on Wednesday
    Esp the southwest over snowfields

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I heard the RTE news on the radio a while ago and they talked of a band of rain moving down turning to sleet and wet snow. Very specific about the wet snow. Sounds like ME v confident this won't amount to much......:(

Ah well,,, no one has died and we are all safe so that is OK too.. Over and out! Will see what the night brings.. if the ground is white or bare in those serene early hours..be safe and be happy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Based on the forecasts I have read and the charts I am seeing, I am not preparing for snow in the morning. I expect to see snow in the nearby hills and the distant Kerry mountains, but only puddles here. (Location: West Clare)

I think its the best not to get excited over something that had a very slim chance of Happening. For the rest of you though, enjoy your snow! I'd imagine inland areas on the west coast (and west Midlands) will get a few centimetres.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Feels like its after getting milder here in West Cork too. Even the mountain top snow is melting.

In fairness it hasn't looked like much on the ECM and HIRLAM for the past couple of days. I've been trying to set realistic expectations here. :p

There will still be snow accumulations in places tomorrow morning. I doubt it will be all wet snow. Radar watching from the evening onwards and forget about the models.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Will it be after burning out by tomorrow morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well I'm going for several cm in a line from Ross common to Waterford westwards.

A notable event for many.
    Uppers, dew points and thickness all say snow.
    To add to this air temps hover around freezing and I wonder why some of you think rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Dry cool week for the East seems certain. now

Big thaw on lug today

Only 7 pages on the netweather model thread after 24hrs says a lot

There will be some snow away from coasts in the south, west and Midlands but nothing disruptive in the next 24hrs but away from high ground it will disappear in the sun that follows

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

GFS is backtracking hard now, very poor performance in this setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

i would not pay too much attention on what the charts project at the moment,its based on European models and not design specifically for each country,its all going to be a now cast and radar watching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

I've just seen the news on RTE2 don't even think she mentioned the S word at all!!! They seem confident on a non-event

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Met update

Very cold and frosty tonight with ice patches. Wintry showers will develop tonight, with snow likely to affect parts of Ulster, Connacht and Munster as well as parts of the midlands, with accumulations likely. It should remain drier and clearer in parts of the east with some freezing fog in the slack winds. Temperatures will fall to between 0 and -5 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Big thaw on lug today

Are you sure? Today's max in my parts was only around 3c and the Dublin hills, a lot lower than Lug, still have a good covering.

Villain wrote: »

Same as it ever was!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Villain wrote: »

Yep. Much further west than what it was showing yesterday.

rsz_15-779uk.png

Thing is, there's still a very large band of precipitation coming down the west side of the country with a northwesterly airflow. To my (untrained) eye here, we on the east coast are just as likely to get isolated/scattered showers as we did - or in North Dublin's case, didn't - last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Dont think it will even go that far inland.

A dusting will be the best anywhere gets apart from knock airport maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Quick question, Why does Met Eireann show a band of rain pushing across my area, despite there being no rain/snow/sleet/hail/drizzle/mist here? Visibility is quite good as well! Is this something to do with evaporation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Any chance i wonder of some snow showers drifting onto the east coast tomorrow?
    I suppose there wont be enough instability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Quick question, Why does Met Eireann show a band of rain pushing across my area, despite there being no rain/snow/sleet/hail/drizzle/mist here? Visibility is quite good as well! Is this something to do with evaporation?

If you mean the thin "band" which is pretty much in a straight line from Shannon to Waterford, that's typical of radar interference and not actual rain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement