Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Ahhh...winds gone back, basically, north at 1900 (at the M2 bouy)...so may have to forgot about those streamer...for today. ;)

Gotta look at the 850hpa wind direction too. Which is set to go more NNE later while the suface winds stay more northerly. This can be a good thing as the surface winds don't get modified by the sea as much but the showers get blown in by the higher level wind. The problem is differing direction at different levels isn't as good for streamer development. A bit straw clutchy, but possible. Better chance tomorrow I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Latest Met Eireann forecast update mentions some showers may drift onto the southeast coast. Some hope there for east coast dwellers maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

-3 at Dublin and Casement @ 19:00 hrs. Chilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Well thanks to the forecasters in here I was ready for this mornings snow in West Cork. I had planned to get some landscape shots when it stopped but it melted too fast.

There is snow in them. Cheers for the forecasts

16242189610_4532d283eb_c.jpg
    Goldfinch by vistafind, on Flickr

16242188460_e17a2723cd_c.jpg

16241945418_d39bb0d0cf_c.jpg

16242182800_2099d6d42b_c.jpg

16242180780_4fa7fd6138_c.jpg
    Blue Tit by vistafind, on Flickr

Battery charged for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Ahhh...winds gone back, basically, north at 1900 (at the M2 bouy)...so may have to forgot about those streamer...for today. ;)

Don't mean to get anyone's hopes up much as i'm not very hopeful of seeing snow in dublin tonight, but it looks like there may be some upper winds bringing some flurries/light showers to eastern counties later while the surface winds remain off the land keep the temps/dps low.

Surface winds at 3am
    nmm_uk1-3-14-4_awt5.png

Upper winds at 3am at pressure height of 700hpa (about 3km up)

nmm_uk1-35-14-4_wmv3.png

Upper winds at 3am at pressure height of 925hpa (about 850m)

nmm_uk1-8-14-4_gfl2.png

Precipitation at 3am:
    They're not much showing here apart from a few tiny dots off Dublin. However, the current activity in the Irish sea was not predicted on these maps either.
    nmm_uk1-1-14-4_zqs4.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭space2ground1

I wonder why Waterford isn't marketing itself to people around the world who detest snow and hate heat. We're the ideal destination for people who like their winter weather meh.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

i hate to say it but it just doesnt look good for the east at all. totally dependent on a few streamers from the irish sea :(
    hey cheer up - looks like it's just gonna be icy cold rain nationwide baahumbug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Early hard frost, Laytown beach (Meath). Can see those streamers moving down the Irish Sea in the moonlight. Very bright night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

All I can say is roll on the summer I can't handle this stress!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

So, are we botherin' with lamposts tonight or wha? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Smidge wrote: »

I am anyway ahah :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Smidge wrote: »

There has to be something falling to bother with a lamppost!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

I'm convinced that streamer to the NE is heading my way. I live in hope anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

People seem to take an awful lot of notice what the met people say.
    Remember they view the same charts as us.
    We are ply as qualified as they are at this stage

What a comment. Met services have a vast array of extra model parameters available to them than we have, not to mention PhDs and a wealth of experience built up over many years of such situations. To say that we're as qualified as them is ridiculous.

Anyway, I was up at Kippure this evening and the temperature was -2.5 °C at 500 m while it was +1 down at 100 m. It has since fallen to -3 at Casement and DUB, so the depth of the cold surface layer is significant, or at least should be later.

The 2 km NMM forecast radar does show some light precip extending to most of the east for an hour or two around midnight, but this could be elevated and not reach the surface. It shows some more streamers brushing the Wicklow and Wexford coast a few hours later.

337453.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Ive been up and down the Cooley hills loads since the snow started. Today I thought I would take my dog up there seeing as he is a husky and all. I came across something rather bizarre.....so I made a quick 22 second video!

20150202_161725.jpg20150202_162329.jpg
    20150202_162857.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Ive been up and down the Cooley hills loads since the snow started. Today I thought I would take my dog up there seeing as he is a husky and all. I came across something rather bizarre.....

A convertible Land Rover! Very bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The weather from Siobhan Ryan at 7pm was much more promising than earlier bulletins. Tallies with Villain's news that Harmonie had moved East somewhat. Still not as good as things looked yesterday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

A convertible Land Rover! Very bizarre

Hahaha yes, I tried putting a few lines between the image tags but it didnt work, it still placed them together. Ive added a youtube video, took me 10 minutes trying to work out how to embed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Ive been up and down the Cooley hills loads since the snow started. Today I thought I would take my dog up there seeing as he is a husky and all. I came across something rather bizarre.....so I made a quick 22 second video!

20150202_162857.jpg

That's a beauty...that dog I mean not the erm......sculpture :o

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Raining in Macroom.....wonder will it change to snow over night....roads gping to be pretty bad tomorrow either way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Light rain in Galway west too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Some showers getting very close to the East coast already..trying not to get too excited yet..
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

CpRQNro.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

aisling86 wrote: »
    Raining in Macroom.....wonder will it change to snow over night....roads gping to be pretty bad tomorrow either way!
    It should there alright, keep us posted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

Spoil Sport!!!

20150202_162857.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Hirlam has some moderate showers for parts of Dublin/ Wicklow. Could be a cover by morning

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

A thing of beauty!

How could you ????

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Will there be anything for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Just seen this On fb on wicklow weather page. Good for anyone who wants to no about streamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Dublin Airport has -3. Casement, -2.

Cold early and dropped quick. Not sure it is cold enough for streamers to just form like 2010.

Roads were slick around 7:20 in Carrickmines and the Gritters are out in force in the 'burbs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Will there be anything for Dublin

Might be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement