Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Villain wrote: »
    Hmm the radar is showing all models to wrong at present, it has either arrived early or moved further East than forecast

It might be a case of the stuff on radar at the moment being so light that certain models haven't even developed it or just don't model it well. The heavier precip is still a few hours away from reaching the northwest I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Nothing for Dublin I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I'll be on the road around 6 so will be interesting to see how it pans out... Step away from the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

It's not healthy having a snow addiction in this country.

This is a situation tho that the models can't get a handle on and anything could happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

It's absolutely bucketing down here with big massive fluffy snowflakes here in Galway!!! :D

...actually no it's not...boo hoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

I have an addiction to white powdery stuff. Give me snow God Dammit!

bajer101 wrote: »
    I have an addiction to white powdery stuff. Give me snow God Dammit!

I recommend investing in an annual trip to Scandinavia :p

Would certainly beat the trip to Columbia. I was given a bum steer there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 silverthorn100

Any winters precipitation happening around at the moment guys ....

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

I'm actually going to Helsinki next month, surely the snow shield wouldn't make it across the Baltic sea :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Jeans forecast was a joke and very inaccurate.

1 she said showers be of snow mainly at night by day rain sleet.

No Jean all charts support snow to all levels

2 she said it will be cold

No Jean it will be bitterly cold with a biting northerly wind adding significant wind chill

3 she said staying cold into next week with patchy rain n sleet with snow on high ground

Again no Jean next week will be bitter with ice days and risk of widespread snow on Tuesday

If you agree please like my post

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this now......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

The only stations and airports reporting any precipitation at 2300 are all rain (Donegal, Sligo airports, Belmullet, Mace Head and Valentia. Cork Airport reported recent drizzle. We don't know about Knock and Claremorris as they don't report present weather.

As the radar paints a much wetter picture we can assume much of the precipitation is elevated and evaporating before reaching the surface. Malin Head has a blob right over it but no precip reported. Clouds overcast at 10,000 ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmynippy

Cornilius wrote: »
    I'm actually going to Helsinki next month, surely the snow shield wouldn't make it across the Baltic sea :)

Have been there in February twice and the snow is amazing,up to your waist in places!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Temperate here in west clare is 0.3c and there is a bit of precipitation on the way. Chances are, its snow. Looks like I wont sleep tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HankSchrader

Temperature rising in Athlone. -2.5c at 10:30, -0.5 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this now......

Ah yes, no red faces in ME after all then?

On the other hand,, hindsight is great, and perhaps people shouldn't stick their necks out so much with their bullish forecasts, but where would the fun be then? It'd be like Met Eireann in here every day.

Having said that, anyone having Frogs Legs for lunch tomorrow?:):p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

To tired to stay awake fingers crossed I wake up to snow!!!ðŸ™If it falls it should be a good one it is thick with ice out there

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

Night snow lovers, if anything is on the way it's going to be way too late/early morning for me to stay awake. Will dream of snow for the midlands

If the hourly HIRLAM is right, then heavier precip should start to reach the northwest coast in the next hour or so, make its way down the west and start to fizzle out between the southwest and the midlands around dawn.

Jaysus, the Netweather radar shows the streamers teasing the East coast by switching from a Northerly to a North Easterly - but just as they seem to hit us and brush off the coast, they switch back to a Northerly and continue their parallel track.

Met Eireann should recruit Swiss Tony. Wishing for snow in Dublin is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. She will give you all the signs that she will deliver the goods. She will brush off you, but then pull back at the last minute. She will then tease you some more with promises of glorious fluffy wetness. But in the end, you are left looking wistfully out the window while having a cigarette and wondering about what could have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Freezing. Clear night. Slight mist. Calm. Here in donegal town. Watch radar as band of 'something' approaches from NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Temperate here in west clare is 0.3c and there is a bit of precipitation on the way. Chances are, its snow. Looks like I wont sleep tonight!

Arg! The snow band just broke up before making landfall! All I got were a few miniture flake of which they didnt last two seconds on the already saturated roof tiles (Despite an air temperature of -0.1c). Disappointing.

There is another chance in about 30-60mins, I will continue with the work I need done and have a look then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Ah yes, no red faces in ME after all then?

On the other hand,, hindsight is great, and perhaps people shouldn't stick their necks out so much with their bullish forecasts, but where would the fun be then? It'd be like Met Eireann in here every day.

Having said that, anyone having Frogs Legs for lunch tomorrow?:):p

Equally you shouldn't have people on here advising that met eireann should be "ignored" and at the same time forecasting a major snow event for the country tomorrow. Like I said on Saturday lets see whose right....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

as I walked home in the rain, looking at my breath in the cold air, i sighed,this has to be one of the most frustrating countries in the northern hemisphere at this latitude to witness snow,granted im at sea level beside the atlantic,but for fup sake would it just snow sometime soon,iv been following this coldspell for so long,and nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Equally you shouldn't have people on here advising that met eireann should be "ignored" and at the same time forecasting a major snow event for the country tomorrow. Like I said on Saturday lets see whose right....

Common sense posting- I like it.
    Users with "ice" "snow" or "frost" included in usernames get instant ignores from me in here.

Wanting met Eireann to " eat humble pie" seems like a strange setup to me.

Credit to Met Eireann once again!

Here's to a bright dry cold week of good weather!
    Also roads will be bad in the am so be careful out there boys and girls

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after a night out in Galway before heading back to the east in the morning all I can report is it feels VERY mild here, had a few hours of drizzle and moderate rain, not even cold, was bitter up till about 3pm. Feels about 8C here now, wet atlantic muck. Just seen the BBC late weather and it's a dismal boring summary over the entire UK and Ireland with temps of 2-8C tomorrow and marginal isolated light showers all the way from London to Dublin and Inverness to Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Post-18906-ferris-bueller-go-home-gif-fvin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

*Throws toys out of pram*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

sligo looks like it's line for the more organised precipitation in the nexr 45 minutes, i assume it's cold enough for snow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

typhoony wrote: »
    sligo looks like it's line for the more organised precipitation in the nexr 45 minutes, i assume it's cold enough for snow

it's mild under the precipitation so I doubt it. Here in Galway city we had freezing temps and glaring sun & blue skies till about 1pm, then the clouds gathered in the distance and when it clouded over it got very cold for about an hour then sudden temp rise and quite very mild feeling, then drizzle & rain, it still feels quite mild right now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement