Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Get out now!

Before someone put up indecipherable charts of next Thurs/Fri and says -

"This Looks Promising.....precipitation...dew point....only a matter of how much.. ...snowfall......"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

-6.1c at Baltinglass co Wicklow
    -4.2c at my station in Arklow

It's Cold

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

-4.7C here now...cold indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

What will happen when that rain hits the cold air further East or will it just raise temperatures as it clouds over?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Castlebar rain. Not expecting snow at this stage. Who can I blame for this travesty?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Cornilius wrote: »
    What will happen when that rain hits the cold air further East or will it just raise temperatures as it clouds over?

There isn't enough momentum or moisture so it will fizzle out,the cold is too much for it

-4.5c

Night folks,there will be snow by morning from the front,before it dies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Precipation has increased to moderate here in SW Donegal, but its wet snow, still Im hopeful that it will turn to snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Pangea wrote: »
    Precipation has increased to moderate here in SW Donegal, but its wet snow, still Im hopeful that it will turn to snow.

Still looks weak on radar. Heavier stuff should be on the northwest coast around 1am if the HIRLAM is to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It is 0.0c here in clare yet the sky is almost completely clouded over....

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

barney 20v wrote: »
    Common sense posting- I like it.
    Users with "ice" "snow" or "frost" included in usernames get instant ignores from me in here.

Wanting met Eireann to " eat humble pie" seems like a strange setup to me.

Credit to Met Eireann once again!

Here's to a bright dry cold week of good weather!
    Also roads will be bad in the am so be careful out there boys and girls

that seems like a very unfair statement to make in regards someones user name everyone has the same vision on the thread some are more knowledgeable than others and others might be here to learn something someone may have an opinion ....read on if it bores you . please don't single out people for silly things. I have seen too many people being shot down lately in here and its not nice. everyone is kind enough to contribute in there own little way whether anyone likes it or not try not too be too judgemental its only weather:rolleyes: if it was deep technical discussion one could understand:) cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

FWVT wrote: »
    Meanwhile a polar low is forming in Biscay and will strike NE Spain with gale to storm force winds around midnight. Cloudtops are cooling and it is showing a developing circulation. Models show it with a warm core and with more than a 44 degree difference in sst-500 hPa it would seem to meet the definition.
    This. This is exactly what I thought a polar low was, and I'm pretty sure the low that dropped past Scotland and crossed over the northeast of Ireland had nothing like that sort of difference in temperature. Yet I heard lots of comments about polar lows recently. Do you have any good and comprehensive source of what a polar low is??? It would put a sock in all the "polar low" forecasts which aren't even forecasting polar lows. Even John Eagleton talked about polar lows once when there wasn't anything like it on the cards, just some shallow low.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

lashing rain in sligo now

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

pauldry wrote: »
    lashing rain in sligo now

I'm so building a rainman tomorrow .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this will probably be my last post regarding this 'cold spell' but nobody is gonna get anything worth while. It's raining here in the west, look at the radar, even if it all turns to snow it's pathetic, just light intermittent crap! might produce at most 1-2cm of snow in it's current form, a mere dusting.

Time to move back to the FI chart thread and try and seek some last hope before we close for the winter and start looking towards to how summer 2015 will shape up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gonzo wrote: »
    this will probably be my last post regarding this 'cold spell' but nobody is gonna get anything worth while. It's raining here in the west, look at the radar, even if it all turns to snow it's pathetic, just light intermittent crap! might produce at most 1-2cm of snow in it's current form, a mere dusting.

Time to move back to the FI chart thread and try and seek some last hope before we close for the winter and start looking towards to how summer 2015 will shape up.

May I just state that its now -0.3 here in west clare. Near the coast, no elevation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

bah, so done. i could say i don't need snow in my life, but we all know that's not true

:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Wasn't it suppose to fall as rain in the west and turn to snow further inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

It's true, this would drive anyone insane. I think I've found definite snow for Dublin soon though! (00:15 radar image)

2XaIdAo.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Carnacalla wrote: »
    May I just state that its now -0.3 here in west clare. Near the coast, no elevation.

were not looking for low temps, were looking for decent snow! Sorry im just frustrated with this entire winter, all I have to show for it is 2 crappy one hour dustings! We've had plenty of freezing cold nights an days but fek all snow for it (in the east)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

:p
    Gonzo wrote: »

agreed gonzo lets hope for a big snowy break down when the atlantic does eventually plough through:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

I'm so building a rainman tomorrow .

Charlie: Who took this picture?

Raymond: D-A-D.

Charlie: And you lived with us?

Raymond: Yeah, 10962 Beachcrest Street, Cincinnati, Ohio.

Charlie: When did you leave?

Raymond: January 12, 1965. Very snowy that day. 7.2 inches of snow that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

its mathematically impossible to build a rainman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Rougies wrote: »
    It's true, this would drive anyone insane. I think I've found definite snow for Dublin soon though! (00:15 radar image)

2XaIdAo.png

:eek::eek::eek:

Oh my GOD!!! A Polar-Bomb-Weather-Vortex-Event-Thingy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I got snow now! I nearly didn't post as I have 4 inches here already and will probably drive Gonzo to despair, but seriously someone else can have it, bring a trailer :pac:

-0.3C dp-2.7C

:p

agreed gonzo lets hope for a big snowy break down when the atlantic does eventually plough through:p

wish that were true! things look fairly bad between here and Berlin over the next 2 weeks! But on the plus side plenty of dry decent walking and outdoors conditions. Anything is better than relentless Atlantic rain muck day in day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I got snow now! I nearly didn't post as I have 4 inches here already and will probably drive Gonzo to despair, but seriously someone else can have it, bring a trailer :pac:

-0.3C dp-2.7C

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Smidge wrote: »
    Seriously?

Yes, the 4inches have been laying for a rew days.

Bitingly cold here with very hard frost since earlier but now we have MIST!!!!
    Cold and moisture......:eek:
    (nrth meath/cavan)

Yes

*Monty Python voice*

"You lucky, lucky bastard" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It's more evident on the NW radar, but the band of heavier precip is starting to arrive on the northwest coast now. This is the stuff that *should* bring some snow to inland areas. We'll see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement