Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Had very dense fog here earlier, not as bad now and sky getting hazy.
    Some guy just text in from Boston to Alf on radio 1 so say there fell 15 inches of snow today to add to the 35 inches from last week.
    Pic robbed from twitter :eek:
    B836toQCMAAbGlI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Smidge wrote: »
    *Monty Python voice*

"You lucky, lucky bastard" :D

I really do like snow but have kinda had enough now, Been keeping the weather diary in my weather station and I have had 14 days with snow falling and 17 days with snow lying so far, I can do nothing outside, chickens refuse to come out and I don't blame em lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I really do like snow but have kinda had enough now,

THOSE WORDS SHALL NOT BE UTTERED BY ANYONE IN IRELAND.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I really do like snow but have kinda had enough now, Been keeping the weather diary in my weather station and I have had 14 days with snow falling and 17 days with snow lying so far, I can do nothing outside, chickens refuse to come out and I don't blame em lol

You're just showing off now :(

Carnacalla wrote: »
    THOSE WORDS SHALL NOT BE UTTERED BY ANYONE IN IRELAND.

I know :o but its like living "beyond the wall" up here ( been watching Game of thrones for the first time lol) It is beautiful though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

rains turned to sleet in sligo now but easing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Turned to sleet at Finner at 1am.

Smidge wrote: »
    You're just showing off now :(

That's just since the 1st jan, on December 26 day snow fell, it lay for 4 days. I don't wish to rub it in lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

lolie wrote: »
    Had very dense fog here earlier, not as bad now and sky getting hazy.
    Some guy just text in from Boston to Alf on radio 1 so say there fell 15 inches of snow today to add to the 35 inches from last week.
    Pic robbed from twitter.
    B836toQCMAAbGlI.jpg

Just saw that on the news & it just happened to be Groundhog Day, where six more weeks of winter are coming :eek:

Saw this on twitter earlier, Groundhog day quiz!

http://www.theguardian.com/news/quiz/2015/feb/02/daily-quiz-2-february-2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mullingar -5 c @ 1 am.

Dunsany -5 c @ 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

15 minutes drive from knock airport, Nothing. Just drizzle :(..........

That's definitely a groundhog quiz alright! as It's the same questions twice :D

See this link, the groundhog doesn't like mayor's as it's bitten most of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Just saw that on the news & it just happened to be Groundhog Day, where six more weeks of winter are coming :eek:

I likes me snow but don't know if I cold hack that much of it for that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

This is just depressing. Its just very light snow which is refusing to stick! Its just floating off the velux windows in small balls of watery ice !!

It's looking seriously underwhelming at the moment, even for the areas that had the best chance.

lolie wrote: »
    I likes me snow but don't know if I cold hack that much of it for that long.

I'll finally get to use those shoe spikes i bought in Lidl all those years ago :D

There was a program on the beeb a few years ago, i think it was in the 50/60s that the cold weather stretched as far as the Summer, it was known as the Ice Fairs in where it brought out everyone selling everything, probably hot water bottles & clothes :P

Who thought that Gobbler's Knob was a good name for a town, lol

The weight of the last snow shower broke the arm off my satelite dish:mad:

Who thought that Gobbler's Knob was a good name for a town, lol

The weight of the last snow shower broke the arm off my satelite dish:mad:

Some of the names like Randy is common over there in the US, so no surprise!

Sorry to hear about the dish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

Y'all must be livin in Kerry or smthn... It started snowing here in Drumkeen, Co.Donegal at 2.15am, first small ballz... now huge flakes. :D

It's looking seriously underwhelming at the moment, even for the areas that had the best chance.

Anything that falls inland will settle straight away. Not all about intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

HEAVY BIG FLAKES COMING DOWN NOW.

Interestingly on the latest model runs it's still below freezing in the eastern half of the country at 11 am which I can well believe - winds will be northeasterly at that stage and may bring some hail and snow showers on to the coast. Might be a surprise or two to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Fair play on calling this a good few days ago! I've never watched a particular feature so closely across so many models as its developed before, but its clear that the ECM/HIRLAM models were a lot more accurate for shorter term (as should be expected i suppose :P). Will definitely be placing a lot more trust in them in the future.

Trogdor wrote: »
    Fair play on calling this a good few days ago! I've never watched a particular feature so closely across so many models as its developed before, but its clear that the ECM/HIRLAM models were a lot more accurate for shorter term (as should be expected i suppose :P). Will definitely be placing a lot more trust in them in the future.

In fairness though even the HIRLAM has overdone the amount of precip if you compare the light stuff on the radar with what should be over Donegal now on the hourly HIRLAM.

Trogdor wrote: »
    but its clear that the ECM/HIRLAM models were a lot more accurate for shorter term (as should be expected i suppose :P).

Hirlam is out by about 80 miles, no more and no less. ECM is out by 100 miles as of 00z today. GFS is out by 45 miles.

There has been a systemic failure to adequately model this across all models. ECM and Hirlam are two of the worst models for verification in the last 2 days as of 12 am this morning. GFS, though it shifted, has been the most accurate.

EDIT -5 c @ Casement 0300.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Hirlam is out by about 80 miles, no more and no less. ECM is out by 100 miles as of 00z today. GFS is out by 45 miles.

There has been a systemic failure to adequately model this across all models. ECM and Hirlam are two of the worst models for verification in the last 2 days as of 12 am this morning. GFS, though it shifted, has been the most accurate.

Yes none of them have done particularly well in the end for such a close time range but I moreso meant that over the last few days that ECM/HIRLAM were closest to the correct solution at an earlier time. They spotted the front would be further West and much lighter in nature well before the GFS did.

I don't know what you're smoking Darkman but I'll have some of it!

ECM and HIRLAM have been consistent in showing precip restricted to the western half of the country and in fairly light amounts. That's exactly what is happening now, except maybe even a bit more watered down.

Until yesterday the GFS was showing nationwide, beefy frontal snow, moderate snow completely covering the east Tuesday morning. The whole reason this thread got hyped up so much! On the 12Z it backtracked to the Euro solution and showed *zero* precip over the east Tuesday morning.

• Advertisement

No snow reported at any Met Eireann station @ 3am and a fairly scattered and weak display of PPN on radar. Time to call it a night.

Best of luck to those hunting a dusting!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement