Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't know what you're smoking Darkman but I'll have some of it!

Really? How is it then that on verification of precipitation over our grid the GFS is out just 45 miles in the last 48 hours (which is a hideous outcome in itself) and the ECM is out 100 miles and Hirlam is out by just under 80 miles?

I'm simply pointing out fact. Did you not notice Hirlam had virtually all precipitation off the west coast till the 18z run?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Really? How is it then that on verification of precipitation over our grid the GFS is out just 45 miles in the last 48 hours (which is a hideous outcome in itself) and the ECM is out 100 miles and Hirlam is out by just under 80 miles?

I'm simply pointing out fact. Did you not notice Hirlam had virtually all precipitation off the west coast till the 18z run?

It's latest run looks pretty accurate with the exception of the precip being lighter than modelled

ANTbVAh.png

mLAq2n8.png

Trogdor wrote: »
    It's latest run looks pretty accurate with the exception of the precip being lighter than modelled

ANTbVAh.png

mLAq2n8.png

The latest run of all models is pretty accurate at 6 hours. But this idea that the ECM and Hirlam are the go to models for accuracy at a short range is just not right in my opinion. The former I understand but the latter has been poor.

The GFS did show the precipitation field on the east coast, yes, but only marginally and now given where the front actually is and where the precipitation is in the end it has been the most accurate despite the changes in the last 24 hours.

That is all I am saying.

Of course it has to be said all the models were off just some more than others.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Woke to a very light dusting in limerick city. Now back to bed and hope for more...
    (Phone acting up so couldn't add PIC, sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Wet snow falling here. Seems to be sticking on cars and roofs but hearing a lot of dripping sounds too.

Altitude: 39 m asl

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Wet snow falling here. Seems to be sticking on cars and roofs but hearing a lot of dripping sounds too.

Altitude: 39 m asl

About to arrive here but I'll probably just meet some icy rain on the way into Galway.

Edit: sleet, borderline wet snow now.

Further edit: There was some nice heavy snow from that band as I drove east to west through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

About an inch or so of snow fell here in Castletroy, Limerick. Nice surprise when I woke up about 4am. Got some better video footage from a drive around, will try and put it up later.

About 5mm west of Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

A good inch or so here in Tipp Town. Still falling at the moment.

Dublin Airport -5 c @ 6am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Raining here in Kerry at the moment, with no lying snow that I can see.
    Although I assume further inland may have gotten some snow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Dublin Airport -5 c @ 6am

-6c (at Dublin AP) at 0630!

-4.3c here (in south Dublin) atm...lowest temp, funnily enough, since 03.02.12.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Fabulous morning here in the north east, clear sky, crisp air and bone dry, should be very nice indeed when the sun comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

This. This is exactly what I thought a polar low was, and I'm pretty sure the low that dropped past Scotland and crossed over the northeast of Ireland had nothing like that sort of difference in temperature. Yet I heard lots of comments about polar lows recently. Do you have any good and comprehensive source of what a polar low is??? It would put a sock in all the "polar low" forecasts which aren't even forecasting polar lows. Even John Eagleton talked about polar lows once when there wasn't anything like it on the cards, just some shallow low.

The low here last Wednesday was in my view a polar low. Small vortex, warm core, strongest winds on its west, cold cloud tops, 500 hPa at around -36 °C (giving a SST-500 hPa of around -45 °C. Here is a comprehensive 40-minute lecture from someone at the Tromsø forecasting centre, who are a dab hand at forecasting them

http://eumetrain.org/resources/smasi_2014_s8.html

-6.7 at Casement overnight, -10 on the ground. 4 cm of lying snow at Knock but sleet falling. No precip at most of the stations, despite the radar, so a lot of it is virga.

And I totally agree that the GFS (and hence the hi-res models based on it) were complete muck this time. The ECM and hirlam were consistent in showing only precip in the western half of the country from several days out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Have covering of approx 2 cm here in North Tipp a few miles south of Nenagh

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

-6 in Kilcock.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cornilius wrote: »
    It's not healthy having a snow addiction in this country.

This is a situation tho that the models can't get a handle on and anything could happen.

It is very Irish! Wishing for the unattainable then a dirge when it dies..Goes way back in Irish history...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

DOCARCH wrote: »
    -6c (at Dublin AP) at 0630!

Dublin AP reporting -8c at 0700. :eek:

-4.5c atm here (in south Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭kindredspirit

Two inches of snow outside on the ground now. Stopped snowing though. (Co. Limerick.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Driving to work this morning and a very hard frost.From North County Dublin to D15 . Outside Temp varied from -6 at J5 M1 to -2 on M50 J3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Heavy snow East cork

I really do like snow but have kinda had enough now, Been keeping the weather diary in my weather station and I have had 14 days with snow falling and 17 days with snow lying so far, I can do nothing outside, chickens refuse to come out and I don't blame em lol

I agree.. even without snow up here the long lasting bitter cold wears me out. Poor hens! Mine used to venture out then look in utter horror at where their feet should be.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    THOSE WORDS SHALL NOT BE UTTERED BY ANYONE IN IRELAND.

WELL I AGREE AND I AM IN IRELAND! Freedom of speech;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Snowing nicely here, just sticking.

Woke to rain and now heavy and lashing against the windows in a high wind..Opened the north facing landing window to check what it was that was coming in and nearly got blown backwards down the stairs so I guess the wind is northerly.. very scientific reasoning there ;) Just need to know where to look for the washing I left out ;) Bitter, bitter cold again/still...Sigh.... longing for warmth here.. too dark still to see what like the mountains are ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

praise the lord praise the lord. it's snowing in cork city and it's sticking :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Very hard frost here in Wexford car says it's -5 now time to try out the roads

sjb25 wrote: »
    Very hard frost here in Wexford car says it's -5 now time to try out the roads

Take care and slowly does it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

-8C recorded Dublin Airport @ 7.00 am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

Had very light snow just north of Cork City during the night, 150m asl, the definition of a dusting. Was beginning to mix with rain about 6:30am as I was leaving for work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement