Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

:) longer then ;)

Wha..? :confused:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Very light sleet falling here rathnew now

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

A lovely dusting of snow in East Limerick this morning but the sun is out and melting it slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

This shower cloud with a distinct anvil is off the coast of Arklow at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Well if it got to -7.7 today and it got down to -5.6 on April 6th 2013, then it must the coldest night since some date BEFORE April 6th 2013 as that night was less cold than last night.

Or am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

I think what he is saying is it probably the lowest temp at Dublin AP since (probably) 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Phone snap of the clouds sitting just off the East Coast of Meath / North Dublin this morning. - 3.2 when photo was taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Looks to be a slight amount of sleet/snow falling on http://wicklowcam.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Phone snap of the clouds sitting just off the East Coast of Meath / North Dublin this morning. - 3.2 when photo was taken.

So close but yet so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks like Wicklow town about to get something from that in the next 15 minutes or so.

Nice "Streamer" action ..come on Dublin CC would like some also:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

highdef wrote: »
    Well if it got to -7.7 today and it got down to -5.6 on April 6th 2013, then it must the coldest night since some date BEFORE April 6th 2013 as that night was less cold than last night.

Or am I missing something?

It was the coldest min there since the -5.6c on in April 2013, there was no colder min in between then and now. I have also included the coldest absolute min since then, which is in my post.

New Moon

That anvil I showed earlier is attached to the Rathnew Wicklow shower and approaching,withthe breeze directly off it,it has to take a land tractor me so hopefully some snow?

Temp risen though

2.2/-1 c

The offshore breeze is as should be expected bring maratime air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

HighLine wrote: »
    Looks to be a slight amount of sleet/snow falling on http://wicklowcam.com/

Its coming down now on the cam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Looking back at the radar from early this morning Harmonie was pretty spot on in its 12z.

The GFS 2m temps were way off including NMM4 and UKWF 3km, over 5c out and when I tweeted Netweather they said "It's not an error/issue with the model per se, it's just something which generally occurs in winter - not just on NMM."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Is a possible "Isle of Man" style shadow coming into effect for Dublin ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Glorious sunny morning in Waterford City after a heavy frost and min temp of -2.2c. A thin layer of high cloud that hung around most of the night stopped the temp reaching the lows of other parts of the country.

Current temp 1.6c www.waterfordcityweather.com

That Wicklow shower slowly,very slowly getting nearer?

Photo taken outside Arklow just now,will I be lucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Clouds piling up in Delgany but nothing yet.......well I did see one flake but it might have been something else. Streamer track is pushing a decent shower toiwards wicklow town at the mo....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

My prediction of glorious sun for Wexford is currently on day 2,not a cloud in the sky and actually quite pleasant in the sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

Nothing but rain in Wicklow town. Way colder here than last Thursday yet we has a dusting last Thursday. Guess it must have something to do with upper air temps or dew points or dams or something. Gutted. Was sure we would get some snow streamers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

On a course today, so limited boards or radar watching. As I think others are saying, noticeable cloud to my right this morning as I drove down from Roundwood.

Temp was at -7.1 at that stage. Don't have access to my station.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Temp Delgany 0 dp -3

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Villain wrote: »
    Looking back at the radar from early this morning Harmonie was pretty spot on in its 12z.

The GFS 2m temps were way off including NMM4 and UKWF 3km, over 5c out and when I tweeted Netweather they said "It's not an error/issue with the model per se, it's just something which generally occurs in winter - not just on NMM."

I use the WXSIM forecast software on my website which uses the GFS to generate forecasts. I find always on frosty nights the forecast temps are two or three degrees above the actual.
    Recently i started running an alternate script for my site which includes a EWN forecast page which uses a combination of different models to generate forecasts. I have found it to be more accurate than WXSIM in general. Any location can be searched. link is below

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/weather2/index.php?p=13&lang=en

Few flakes here but shower is heading due west towards Aughavanagh north of here
    Hills that direction have disappeared from view

I use the WXSIM forecast software on my website which uses the GFS to generate forecasts. I find always on frosty nights the forecast temps are two or three degrees above the actual.
    Recently i started running an alternate script for my site which includes a EWN forecast page which uses a combination of different models to generate forecasts. I have found it to be more accurate than WXSIM in general. Any location can be searched. link is below

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/weather2/index.php?p=13&lang=en

Yep I have Wxsim as well and had Tom edit the config for my station to take account of the frost hollow and low temps it's certainly is a lot closer since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yeah, it might well have been...but not here (in my part of south Dublin)

Overnight low of 4.7c here (in my part of south Dublin), the lowest temp recorded here since 3rd February 2012...3 years to the day.

-3.8c atm.

Ditto here, but was half a degree colder last night (-5.3); exactly three years ago we got a -6.1C.

Anyone remember back in the day when diesel froze at -6 and the tractors wouldn't start? That would cause chaos now with all the diesel cars about!

Cloudless and sunny except on the eastern and southern horizon, temp -1.5C now and a slight breeze is starting to kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Is there please any relief in view from this bitter and shocking cold? It is getting unbearable for this old wan and for many of us in this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Villain wrote: »

I can confirm that they are streamers of rain/sleet at coastal Wicklow.

Separately... fair play to maquiladora and others for accurately calling the last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

2 to 3 inches here in Aherlow,can't get photos of the Galtees too foggy.
    [IMG][/img]11kdsfp.jpg
    [IMG][/img]333z7na.jpg
    [IMG][/img]105cpow.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement