Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

0.3C and dropping fast in D14- Cloud to my south.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

See cloud cover back again over 3 rock. Frost in Foxrock still there at 3.30 today despite the temp being as high as 6 c (on the car thermometer anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Got the train home earlier today. Impressive CB's over the Irish sea. Inshore side of Malahide estuary was partially frozen too. Haven't seen that since 2010 :)

Oops sorry files didn't attach

Frost @ 3.30

Edit: Never mind file too big

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Fair play to Met Eireann who called this "event" properly. Some posters on here I'd say eating humble pie in large amounts today.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭droidman123

Fair play to Met Eireann who called this "event" properly. Some posters on here I'd say eating humble pie in large amounts today.......

You actually take the "forecasters" on here seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

3 blasts of the full time whistle and its all over... Ireland 6 snow 1 another disappointing display by the snow team. Boooooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Must not feed........

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Blessington lakes under the bridge to valleymount at 2pm today was well frozen like to see how this progresses considering we are going to get some low night time temps for the next 6 or so days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

Patchy cloud in D15, very dark clouds to my north,
    it's not over yet folks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

john why wrote: »
    Patchy cloud in D15, very dark clouds to my north,
    it's not over yet folks

Any cloud over land, at the moment, is very thin and very unlikely to produce anything.

Meanwhile...-1.0c now here (in Dublin 16).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Met Eireann tend to go with the most realistic outcome based on the charts. This forum tends to lean towards best case scenario in terms of extreme weather be it snow, sun or wind.

Most people on here know the best case scenario rarely comes to pass.

Did you not cop this?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Any cloud over land, at the moment, is very thin and very unlikely to produce anything.

Meanwhile...-1.0c now here (in Dublin 16).

I know your right but I need my fix, me and the dog doing a snow dance at the moment:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Met Eireann did pretty well but they changed their forecasts quiet a bit as we approached the event as is often the case.

Those posters who forecast here use computer generated models and some of those models were pretty inaccurate but the posters were going on what information was available to them.

Weather science is far from exact and it's great to see so much discussion and divergence in opinions. If every person who made a forecast had to eat humble pie when the forecast didn't come off I think most would be too fat to post by now.

While you and some others may like to have a go at those who take the time to share their opinions many appreciate what they have to say and the time they take to share their opinions and at the same time those who have a go at Met Eireann would do well to remember they do the best they can with the tools and knowledge available to them too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

The snowline on the mountains here in Kerry looks to have retreated a couple hundred metres up.
    Hopefully there is still a decent depth on to though. With the high pressure moving over the next few days, will this bring cold daytime temps or will there be a further thaw?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well they are professionals with degrees and PHD's in the field, who get paid to do the job ,

Kinda figures :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea, trough, 'feature' never developed as a few models showed 3-5 days ago.

Looks like some people on here are comparing a forecast put on here once off around 5 days ago to Met Eireann forecasts that are updated 3-4 times daily!

- Met Eireann have a duty not to hype up any possible event at long distance as they understand the forecast uncertainty and tendency for extreme solutions to move back to something more 'average'.

Most people on here do know what they are looking at, they put in to words what the models are showing at the time they post. Often people do fall into the trap of flogging a dead horse and trying to forecast an event they would favour that is no longer looking likely in the latest NWP output.

Sure there was a slice of precip over central England last night that went totally against what even the MetO were saying at lunchtime. They issued weather warnings last night when nowcasting at 1800hrs..

The reason Meteorology is so interesting is because it is an inexact science. Forecasting snowfall and precipitation is notoriously difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Some showers on the Irish sea with a trajectory for the Wicklow coast developing now. For Dublin and Meath we'd need to see winds a little more northeast if any are to affect here overnight. The charts suggest we may not get that though. South Dublin has a better chance than north Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Was driving into town this evening and massive clouds out in the Irish sea, shame that a NNE wind wouldn't develop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Some showers on the Irish sea with a trajectory for the Wicklow coast developing now. For Dublin and Meath we'd need to see winds a little more northeast if any are to affect here overnight. The charts suggest we may not get that though. South Dublin has a better chance than north Dublin.

They're staying out at sea since morning though and it looks like the train is fizling out rather than building
    Very slight north breeze in Arklow under clear skies, an almost full moon illuminating the cloud tops out to sea
    Currently -0.3c/-2c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

You actually take the "forecasters" on here seriously?

MOD NOTE

Folks a lot of reports coming in on this post , to be honest Im going to leave it be ,

As I have stated in my previous post , this forum is mainly a group of Amateurs who mostly have a love of extreme weather , albeit there is a few professionals in the shadows always offering excellent advice and insight.

MET E , have the burden of dependence upon them which we don't here , and that is why you will see differing views and opinions.

We can call something maybe 4/5 days out that they would never dream of doing as it could panic hundreds of thousands of people, and in saying that we all know how reliable a chart is 4/5 days out, especially in winter :mad:

The Folks in the MET are professionals that have a vast array of resources at there disposal and I would always expect them to be more reliable compared to us mere mortals :cool:

All that said and done , no matter the amount of resources and experience you have , the weather will do what it wants to do and is most defiantly not an exact science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

How many times did Siobhan Ryan just say 'wintry flurries':pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Villain wrote: »
    Met Eireann did pretty well but they changed their forecasts quiet a bit as we approached the event as is often the case.

Those posters who forecast here use computer generated models and some of those models were pretty inaccurate but the posters were going on what information was available to them.

Weather science is far from exact and it's great to see so much discussion and divergence in opinions. If every person who made a forecast had to eat humble pie when the forecast didn't come off I think most would be too fat to post by now.

While you and some others may like to have a go at those who take the time to share their opinions many appreciate what they have to say and the time they take to share their opinions and at the same time those who have a go at Met Eireann would do well to remember they do the best they can with the tools and knowledge available to them too!

The people who the poster was talking about are not forecasters but are merely here to wait for M.E. to get it wrong. They are the ones eating humble pie and seem to be conspicuous by their absence today.

It was -1.5 °C and very cloudy up at Kippure this afternoon, with very low visibility at times. No falling snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

I think up to around midnight we will see that marked convergence line intensify near the east coast as 850 hPa temperatures cool slightly and a slight trough at 700 hPa approaches. 500 hPa temps are warming all the time so I can't see hail forming but low-level convection should be enough to bring possible flurries to Dublin.

FWVT wrote: »
    The people who the poster was talking about are not forecasters but are merely here to wait for M.E. to get it wrong. They are the ones eating humble pie and seem to be conspicuous by their absence today.

It was -1.5 °C and very cloudy up at Kippure this afternoon, with very low visibility at times. No falling snow.

Was there much snow on the ground up there from the last fews day at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Temp hovering around 3C and dewpoint around 2C in bray at the moment the moment and can't see it getting any lower than that overnight as long as the winds are onshore. Although it looks like winds may change offshore in the early hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Has anyone looked into F1 territory? HP remains the defining feature of the local weather for as far as the GFS charts dare look.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Not very often you see that:

16251018519_bf22ec1858_b.jpg

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    Not very often you see that:

16251018519_bf22ec1858_b.jpg

Great Golfing weather there :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement