Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

arctictree wrote: »
    Not sure how to describe what's coming out of the sky here (Roundwood). It's like a really heavy snowy mist, lots of small grains. Temp is +0.3c.

Sounds like Diamond dust. There were a few reports of it around in 2010.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_dust

EDIT: probably not cold enough for that though, probably just regular old snizzle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Well, if you have any clear skies, the moon is full tonight (at 11:09 p.m. it is exactly full) and you will see Jupiter off to its upper left, about as bright as it will get this winter as we pass by the largest planet on the 6th. Compare its rather steady golden light to the frequent twinkling of Sirius located lower down in the southern sky at the midnight hour.

Thanks for this, will check it out.

But exactly how much snow do you think Jupiter will get? And will it stick?

:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

arctictree wrote: »
    Not sure how to describe what's coming out of the sky here (Roundwood). It's like a really heavy snowy mist, lots of small grains. Temp is +0.3c.

Snizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭arctictree

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Snizzle.

Stopped now. Looks like that's it from the radar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Extremely light snizzle blowing around in wind in Laytown, Meath (0m ASL).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Its very cold here here in west Clare. -3.2c. Temperatures that low are rare here due to the usual westerly winds keeping the temps up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Slightly odd forecast by ME tonight! -7C and snow flurries (hence cloud).

Not very likely - we might get one or the other - certainly not both!

Temp was down to -2C here at about 7pm; since then become partly clouded, and it's now +1C; ice on car roof that survived all day in the shade now melting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Slightly odd forecast by ME tonight! -7C and snow flurries (hence cloud).

Not very likely - we might get one or the other - certainly not both!

Temp was down to -2C here at about 7pm; since then become partly clouded, and it's now +1C; ice on car roof that survived all day in the shade now melting.

Once the cloud clears the temperature will drop like a stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Cloudy in Arklow
    No precipitation
    0/0

Once the cloud clears the temperature will drop like a stone.

Only if it clears before sunrise! :)

Seriously, it would need about an inch of snow accumulation by about 1am followed by totally clear and calm conditions with no onshore drift for that to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Ah what a night out there tonight, cold, crisp and not a cloud in the sky, and the moon shining bright, and a plane just flew across it, just perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Only if it clears before sunrise! :)

Seriously, it would need about an inch of snow accumulation by about 1am followed by totally clear and calm conditions with no onshore drift for that to happen.

Should be clear within an hour. http://www.sat24.com/zoomloop.aspx?ir=true&region=eu&lat=53&lon=-3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

-2C in West Galway now.

Lovely night though.

Yo-yoing....in past half hour cleared, went calm and temp dropped to near -1C, car tops re-frozen, then some light cloud came in with a breeze and it's back up to zero.

Based on last night (which I know you can't do) it would need to get to -5 here to hit -7 at the airport.

Very dry and ground like rock - I've given up guessing! Will report back at 3am....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Only just reading back on today's posts now. God these post mortems are head wrecking. I actually think there was a reasonable consensus on what would happen. I can only recall a couple of posters who thought it would be a big event once the model guidance went against that. But even then that wasnt a crazy call as to the last the gfs looked very promising.

In terms of met e there was one unfortunate post saying that posters here know as much as they do. That's obviously not true. They are professionals working day in day out in that area. Even the best on here just dabble (Mtc aside). I do think met e should be respected more here in general.

By 6pm yesterday there was a fairly absolute consensus that there would a small bit of snow in the western half of the country and that is what happened. Happily I got a small covering here so kids were happy. So ends my rant......

By 6pm yesterday there was a fairly absolute consensus that there would a small bit of snow in the western half of the country and that is what happened. Happily I got a small covering here so kids were happy. So ends my rant......

Really? Not from what I have heard. I woke this morning to rain and 3.3c(West Clare). Many other parts of the west also got nothing! Cork is also not in the west!

I agree that Met Eireann are far more experienced than us on here (Unless of course someone on here works for Met Eireann). They issued a forecast, and I found it to be accurate. They get it wrong sometimes, but so do we (Alot more than they do In Fact)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

A stunning night to be out around the hills with a wind that would cut straight through you... Icy cold freshness.

16439139605_fb640512ff_c.jpg
    Ireland under moonlight by vistafind, on Flickr

16251475778_1f9de32443_c.jpg

16253228227_9ea9ab3471_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Thanks for this, will check it out.

But exactly how much snow do you think Jupiter will get? And will it stick?

:)

I'll fend this one M.T. as I know you're a busy man (quick google)

Jupiter is composed almost completely of hydrogen, which becomes a slurry at lower elevations and eventually liquid hydrogen. There's no clear boundary between the atmosphere and surface of Jupiter. It does, however, snow on Jupiter Peak, in Utah.

So in short: No snow on Jupiter & it won't stick cause there is no snow to stick.

In long: Since I don't have an up to the minute GFS (Galaxy forecast system) & ECM (equilibrium conveyance mapping) to fall back on, as some giant corporate forecasters might do, there might be a chance of snow immanently but I don't have the data that NASA, Hubble, met.ie have so I'm giving an educated assumption with the data available to me, there will be no snow on Jupiter! Lots of other forecasters can also give their data about this, and then we have a discussion about what it could be... people will analyse charts and then between us all we will help to give a forecast based on the best of our knowledge, everyone who wants to will give an opinion (democracy here) and a lot of respect & importance of posts will go to the people who have worked in the industry/long time members/educated in the field and then we have something. Something that draws lots and lots of snow bunnies to the forum when there is a slight bit of Graupel on the M50 or anytime the wind picks up, and of course all the "will it snow in my garden" people,. Isn't it great to have knowledgeable people to help answer these questions? I doubt you'll get an answer from any of the main weather departments so I do think there should be a bit of respect shown to educated people who try to answer questions, help educate & give their time for free.

Well that's my 20c, personally now I don't think we'll see any substantial snow in what's left of the winter (I could be wrong though) I see a cold dry period till around the 11th of the month, the some rain maybe a windy storm or two around the 15th & another around the 19th, the great thing about the boards weather forum is that people can give an argument to that forecast, give their reasoning & we all give our opinions to the best of our knowledge to help everyone, I know 95% of people appreciate it (do I need to do a percentage forecast on the appreciation? or is that forecast/percentage going to get questioned?)

Please do remember, the people here give their time for free, a lot are very, very good at what they do & after all the snow bunnies have left they will still be here every day informing people (for free) what the weather is going to be like.

Peace out & 2010 spoiled the snow bunnies, it'll happen again just not today...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Good morning.. Interesting and telling that the thread is about a COLD SPELL which is still VERY much alive and well.. The real trigger I have for thankfully rare migraines is extremes of temperature and yesterday was a long battle warding one off...they tend these days to be a hospital job.. hungover now! Very very cold now here and amazing awesome moonlight... Reminds me of the old nursery rhyme,, "Boys and girls come out to play, The moon doth shine as bright as day.." Lovely to be able to go and let the dog out without feeling my way along the wall in the dark. Still and calm and so serene and quiet ...well apart from the pheasant who is starting his courtship calling early both in day and year.. good snow atop my friendly mountains so will see re photos later if I have enough battery power. Hoping and planning to be out early tomorrow chasing the Mobile Library..today just for keeping warm...a task in itself for so many of us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Vistafind, where did you take those photos? Was up the kerry mountains twice recently under moonlight and the snow on the mountains was very photogenic!

• Advertisement

Good morning everyone!

I awoke this morning to find a lovely frosted and frozen garden outside. All the fields around are covered in a glorious white layer and the roofs are sparkling with the Ice.

Its now -3.1c and the sun is coming up, id imagine that the frost will take longer than usual to melt and may even stay a few hours in the sheltered areas.

EDIT: Its getting even colder! Its now -4.2! Very cold inside too! It'll be fun driving at 9!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

A big shout out to Met Eireann again. They get a bit a flack from 'experts' on here, but yet again they called the spell over the last few days as it happened

flanzer wrote: »
    A big shout out to Met Eireann again. They get a bit a flack from 'experts' on here, but yet again they called the spell over the last few days as it happened

Wouldn't shout too loud about their forecast for Dublin last night (-7c and some snow).

In this location min was - 2.2C and zero precipitation. Currently cloudless, sunny and exactly 0.0C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Wouldn't shout too loud about their forecast for Dublin last night (-7c and some snow).

In this location min was - 2.2C and zero precipitation. Currently cloudless, sunny and exactly 0.0C.
    And -5 was forecast as min the previous night when it was -8 and -7 in places.Things change and they are far from 100% correct the same as everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

-4C in Galway this morning when I left home. Gorgeous morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

flanzer wrote: »

Did you suffer any damage when met eireanns Red Alert Rachael struck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Meanwhile back on topic.....

Deja vu on this morning's radar, a weak shower train heading for the exact same part of Wicklow as this time yesterday

If only it were February..

Oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Vistafind, where did you take those photos? Was up the kerry mountains twice recently under moonlight and the snow on the mountains was very photogenic!

Up around Molls gap. It was really beautiful could have stayed there all night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Only just reading back on today's posts now. God these post mortems are head wrecking. I actually think there was a reasonable consensus on what would happen. I can only recall a couple of posters who thought it would be a big event once the model guidance went against that. But even then that wasnt a crazy call as to the last the gfs looked very promising.

In terms of met e there was one unfortunate post saying that posters here know as much as they do. That's obviously not true. They are professionals working day in day out in that area. Even the best on here just dabble (Mtc aside). I do think met e should be respected more here in general.
    Also Met E do change/ update their forecasts, and it appears (from the total outside) to depend on who's doing the forecast as well - rightly when it's down to judgement.

It's probably for the other thread, but my one complaint about Met E is that they don't give enough "it's looking uncertain beyond x days" or "if this develops this way". Something that I find the BBC/ UK Met Office TV forecasters very good at.

For what it's worth, last night wasn't that cold compared to the night before for me. Still, a bit of the snizzle that artictree posted about stuck/ was still evident this morning. Not enough to write in though... And bring on cold crisp days and nights for a few days! Second only to snow for winter weather for me!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement