Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardening Leave Query

Options
  • 25-01-2015 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

I've taken another job in another company in the same industry. My notice period is 4 months which I handed in recently. I've taken no holidays so far this year and my contract states I'm entitled to 33 days. My current company put me on gardening leave a couple of days after handing in my notice. My question is, apart from having to pay me during the 4 month period, do they also have to pay me for my 33 unused days holidays?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MuddyDog wrote: »
    I've taken another job in another company in the same industry. My notice period is 4 months which I handed in recently. I've taken no holidays so far this year and my contract states I'm entitled to 33 days. My current company put me on gardening leave a couple of days after handing in my notice. My question is, apart from having to pay me during the 4 month period, do they also have to pay me for my 33 unused days holidays?

No they will pro rate it does your holiday year run from Jan to Dec?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Yes it runs from Jan-Dec. So if my contract ends on say 30th April does that mean they will pay up until 30th April salary and 11 days extra pay for unused holiday?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes it runs from Jan-Dec. So if my contract ends on say 30th April does that mean they will pay up until 30th April salary and 11 days extra pay for unused holiday?

Yes that sounds right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

They will allocate any holidays you have during this time so you will end with no holidays on your end date.

So you're saying what Stheno stated is incorrect?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

So you're saying what Stheno stated is incorrect?
    No what's Stheno said is correct in theory; how ever most companies don't want to pay additional money to someone's who's leaving and will make sure that any outstanding holidays are allocated in the notice period.

Nody wrote: »
    No what's Stheno said is correct in theory; how ever most companies don't want to pay additional money to someone's who's leaving and will make sure that any outstanding holidays are allocated in the notice period.

Ah I see. With my leave though, I have no holidays taken during the period so I assume the company will have to pay the holiday days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Ah I see. With my leave though, I have no holidays taken during the period so I assume the company will have to pay the holiday days?

No I would have thought same as Bandana boy. Eleven days of your paid notice period will be allocated against your annual leave, so no extra payment.

I'm not sure though. Did you get anything in writing? Or was there a clause in your original contract in relation to this?

Nothing about it specifically in my contract.

Nody wrote: »
    I was in the same situation as you some years ago and did get the additional leave on top of the two months pay for the notice period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Stheno wrote: »
    I was in the same situation as you some years ago and did get the additional leave on top of the two months pay for the notice period

That would probably be a very lazy official in your payroll/HR team

Been through this once as leaver and twice as a Manager.

If you have 30 days notice and 10 days holidays ,We force you to take 10 days holidays and pay the rest as gardening leave. So your final pay packet will have nothing extra.

I would expect this and if its different ,happy Days !

Advertisement