Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The financial cost of saving a life: should it matter?

• 25-01-2015 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

I had this discussion with some friends earlier and would be interested in some alternative views.

A Meathman was last week denied access to €400,000-per-year life-saving drugs that his doctors have prescribed.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/couple-appeal-for-hse-to-fund-vital-treatment-30909318.html

His family have commenced an online campaign, as they feel the HSE have effectively put a price on the ill man's life. He has paid taxes all his life and now the family feel the State should fulfill its side of the deal.

I do sympathize with their frustration, nevertheless I'm a bit torn. A world of unlimited resources would be fantastic, but in the meantime, we sadly have to allocate resources in a way that hurts the least amount of people, even if that means that sometimes means witholding treatment.

What do people think? Should life-saving drugs be denied if they cost too much? Can we put a price on life?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Its the manufacturer of the drug that is holding the HSE to ransom. They could, if they wanted, provide it for nominal cost and make their profit from the resulting goodwill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Its a sad case.

400k for this medicine seems way OTT. I guess that is because of high R&D costs and little demand for the drug. But aside from the very few who have medicine costs covered thru private insurance there are few individuals who could afford this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Its the manufacturer of the drug that is holding the HSE to ransom. They could, if they wanted, provide it for nominal cost and make their profit from the resulting goodwill.

Well, they could, but they probably wouldn't make a profit doing it.

If that is what we want that's the system we need to create. As it is, we expect drugs companies to be profit-making, or to go under, leaving the ones that do make a profit to clean up.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

God such a tough decision. If he got the drugs every year and lived until 80 which is average life expectancy he will have cost the state almost 20 million euro :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

There has to be a financial value assigned to qualitative life years, otherwise the state would be bankrupt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

It's not quite as clear cut as this but, in essence, I suppose yes. All pharma companies report back to shareholders. Shareholders do not deal in emotion, they deal in business. Companies will make limited, but typically, well publicised concessions to allow medicines to be distributed to needy causes on very limited bases. This is good for business, good PR. On a regular basis, no. Sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

No they couldn't unfortunately. There are generally very good reasons that drugs are expensive. Governments can help by funding orphan drug programmes (funding drugs for relatively rare diseases) or by pumping a lot more money into research. Research could elucidate better drug targets and maybe cheaper drug synthesis pathways. Clinical trials however are likely to remain high.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

bb1234567 wrote: »
    God such a tough decision. If he got the drugs every year and lived until 80 which is average life expectancy he will have cost the state almyaost 20 million euro :eek:

That's true, but it shouldn't come into it, he has the same right to life as anyone with a medical condition that would be fatal without medical intervention, how much does cancer cost this country annually ?

Or if we're going down the road of medical costs, what about alcoholics who need a liver transplant ? or the alcoholic or heroin addict who needs treatment that's paid for by the state, These people have a choice not to drink or do drugs, but we don't let them die because they are a drain on the state

400000 a year is a paltry sum in a country such as Ireland to keep a man alive, and if that man can work and be a productive member of society after treatment, well better again,

how much money do we waste every year on life long dole scroungers, inept civil servant spongers and extortionate state pensions to undeserving politicians

If we let this man die for the sake of 400000 miserable grand a year we may as well bring in collective euthanasia for the terminally ill, anyone over 80 and the mentally retarded, that would save us billions in the long term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

I'd like to know if I was this sick one day that the state would look after me after paying a lifetime of taxes. You cant put a price on a persons life. Shame on the pharma company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

OP unfortunately we live in a world/society with limited resources. The HSE is overburdened, money spent to save that man would mean less money available to save other people. So to flip your question around, why is that man more important than other people? Do other people also not deserve so have their lives saved? If that e400,000 could save the lives of 2 other people then surely the decision is justified.

The only solution to what you propose is to give the HSE an unlimited budget, which for obvious reasons will not happen in any country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thing is, you're not just paying for that drug. You're paying for drugs that make it all the way to Phase II trials before failing leaving a shortfall that needs to be made up. I've got my gripes with Big Pharma but lazily labelling them as being inherently evil won't help.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

FYI............
    Alexion accused of "moral blackmail" in Belgium

In April and May 2013, Alexion was involved in a national controversy in Belgium when media revealed that the government refused to pay for a seven year old boy's treatment on the account that the drug he needed to stay alive, Soliris, was too expensive. The boy's medicine cost 9,000 euros every two weeks.[13] Several politicians stated that the company was attempting to 'blackmail' the government,[14] charges which Alexion denies. On May 4, 2013, the newspaper De Standaard reported that a PR agency working for Alexion had helped the boy's parents communicate their story to the press.[15] This story was confirmed by other news organizations, and it was also reported that the parents had believed their benefactor was a Dutch organization for patients and that the PR agency acted with permission from Alexion.[16][17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexion_Pharmaceuticals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

FalconGirl wrote: »
    I'd like to know if I was this sick one day that the state would look after me after paying a lifetime of taxes. You cant put a price on a persons life. Shame on the pharma company.

Society is pretty much based on putting prices on peoples lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I thought the answer here would be pretty obvious, of course theres no price on life and anyone with a fatal illness should be allowed access to the drug/s that will make them better/live longer.

As Ive said before, and I know a lot of people may not agree with me at all on this, but Science should get concentrating on cures for the incureable/hard to cure and hopefully with any luck a live forever or for hundreds of years at years kind of drug for those who would like to partake :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

srsly78 wrote: »
    OP unfortunately we live in a world/society with limited resources. The HSE is overburdened, money spent to save that man would mean less money available to save other people. So to flip your question around, why is that man more important than other people? Do other people also not deserve so have their lives saved? If that e400,000 could save the lives of 2 other people then surely the decision is justified.

The only solution to what you propose is to give the HSE an unlimited budget, which for obvious reasons will not happen in any country.
    I believe I mentioned that resources are limited, and I didn't propose the HSE giving the man access to the drug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It shouldn't matter but it does because, for a long time, society has placed more value on little scraps of paper/plastic/whatever its made if these days, and on imaginary figures on a screen than on a life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Normally I would say absolutely No but this case is different where it isn't feas to provide this drug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Then we spend millions keeping people alive that have no chance of any meaningful recovery or that are at end stage and are in constant agony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

FalconGirl wrote: »

So, the logic of your argument is even if the cost was €400 million a year to provide the treatment, you would still expect it to be provided?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

sup_dude wrote: »
    It shouldn't matter but it does because, for a long time, society has placed more value on little scraps of paper/plastic/whatever its made if these days, and on imaginary figures on a screen than on a life.

Well, drug discovery is entirely privatised. Also, a drug can perform amazingly well in cell line and animal tests only to be found unsafe, ineffective or both at human testing. There's an expression; "fail early, fail cheap". If you find out at human trials that you've a dud on your hands, that constitutes a waste of time (several years) and a massive dent in your R&D budget which will need recouping.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

volchitsa wrote: »
    Well, they could, but they probably wouldn't make a profit doing it.

If that is what we want that's the system we need to create. As it is, we expect drugs companies to be profit-making, or to go under, leaving the ones that do make a profit to clean up.
    The Peanut wrote: »
    It's not quite as clear cut as this but, in essence, I suppose yes. All pharma companies report back to shareholders. Shareholders do not deal in emotion, they deal in business. Companies will make limited, but typically, well publicised concessions to allow medicines to be distributed to needy causes on very limited bases. This is good for business, good PR. On a regular basis, no. Sadly.
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    No they couldn't unfortunately. There are generally very good reasons that drugs are expensive. Governments can help by funding orphan drug programmes (funding drugs for relatively rare diseases) or by pumping a lot more money into research. Research could elucidate better drug targets and maybe cheaper drug synthesis pathways. Clinical trials however are likely to remain high.
    Thing is, you're not just paying for that drug. You're paying for drugs that make it all the way to Phase II trials before failing leaving a shortfall that needs to be made up. I've got my gripes with Big Pharma but lazily labelling them as being inherently evil won't help.

Guys my point is that on this occasion Alexion could be a lot more magnanimous than levying €400,000 on an Irish patient's chance of a decent life. Notwitstanding the risk of setting an unwelcome precedent in their opinion. I'm just suggesting that a decent offer from them would have a more positive result than spending millions on advertising the drug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

The field of study is called health economics.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_economics

Basically, the state only have X money for healthcare per year.
    If you allocate €400,000 for this cause, then you have to withdraw the same funding from elsewhere. They're tough rationalisations that's a part of funding the heathcare system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Normally I would say absolutely No but this case is different where it isn't feas to provide this drug.

I'd imagine your opinion would change if he was a member of your immediate family

Guys my point is that on this occasion Alexion could be a lot more magnanimous than levying €400,000 on an Irish patient's chance of a decent life. Notwitstanding the risk of setting an unwelcome precedent in their opinion. I'm just suggesting that a decent offer from them would have a more positive result than spending millions on advertising the drug.

Pharma firms spend double on marketing that they do on R&D. Marketing are the people who convince doctors and states that the drug is worth buying so cutting their budget isn't a smart move. If they sell the drug for less, they'll set an unwelcome precedent as you've noted.

Soliris is their only drug meaning that this is the only opportunity for the company's backers to get a return on their investment. Also, since this disease is so rare, they have to charge a fortune to make a profit. This figure will have been carefully calculated as too much will price out some states like Ireland by the look of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

They could, if they wanted, provide it for nominal cost and make their profit from the resulting goodwill.

I tried paying my mortgage with goodwill. The bank manager told me to f off.

I tried paying my mortgage with goodwill. The bank manager told me to f off.

Maybe his bank was backing Alexion:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

They've had similar issues in the UK where this drug costs £340k per patient on the NHS. If the powerhouse NHS is unable to negotiate a cheaper rate then the HSE haven't a hope. Linky

conorh91 wrote: »
    I had this discussion with some friends earlier and would be interested in some alternative views.

A Meathman was last week denied access to €400,000-per-year life-saving drugs that his doctors have prescribed.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/couple-appeal-for-hse-to-fund-vital-treatment-30909318.html

His family have commenced an online campaign, as they feel the HSE have effectively put a price on the ill man's life. He has paid taxes all his life and now the family feel the State should fulfill its side of the deal.

I do sympathize with their frustration, nevertheless I'm a bit torn. A world of unlimited resources would be fantastic, but in the meantime, we sadly have to allocate resources in a way that hurts the least amount of people, even if that means that sometimes means witholding treatment.

What do people think? Should life-saving drugs be denied if they cost too much? Can we put a price on life?

He is 33 only. So not paid so many taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Cut the wages of every TD by just under 2500 per year and this mans life could be saved at no added cost to the state. Doesn't seem like a whole lot when you put it like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Let's call Kenya and see what they think.

Advertisement