Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help

• 25-01-2015 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi all

I know this prob sounds like a stupid question but ive a 2 year old dog and shes in heat and ive a 5 month old dog and his starting to hump her just wondering can he get her in pups?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I don't see why not to be honest, I wouldn't risk it anyway, best keep them separated and have her spayed when possible.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ohbygod

VonVix wrote: »
    I don't see why not to be honest, I wouldn't risk it anyway, best keep them separated and have her spayed when possible.

His getting done when his 6 months. Someone told me he couldnt get her in pups till his a year

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

ohbygod wrote: »
    His getting done when his 6 months. Someone told me he couldnt get her in pups till his a year

As long as he has testicles descended it's possible that he can inseminate the bitch.
    When you get him done is less important than getting her done. Either get her spayed in 3-4 weeks, NO LATER, or go to your vet for the morning-after injection, and get her spayed in a couple of months.
    In any case, keeping an intact bitch with a neutered dog can be very stressful on the dog, even though he can't father pups, living in close proximity with an in-heat bitch still switches on all the same urges and frustrations.
    So if you can only get one of them neutered for any reason, get the bitch done. It's better all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes he can get her pregnant. Please keep them separated at all times.

If by chance they do mate then take her to the vets for the injection to stop her getting pregnant
    I can't stress how important it is to keep them separated at all times. It only takes seconds for them to tie if he mates her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

A year?! :eek: God no, he would be well capable long before then! I wouldn't listen to the person who told you that!

DBB and Andreac are 100% correct.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement

His balls havent dropped. Im getting her spayed but cant until 6 weeks after shes out of season. Its not possible to keep them apart as im in work all day its not fair to keep her inside all day

His balls havent dropped. Im getting her spayed but cant until 6 weeks after shes out of season. Its not possible to keep them apart as im in work all day its not fair to keep her inside all day

By 5 months, his balls have dropped enough to inseminate her.
    If he does inseminate her, and you leave her until 6 weeks after she's out of season, you will end up with a litter of pups as it'll be too late to spay her at that stage. That's why I said to get her done in 3-4 weeks MAX if there is any chance she's in pup... your vet may be able to pick up pups, or lack of, via ultrasound at that stage, though I may stand corrected on the timing of efficiency of scans? Andreac?!
    You'd be better off keeping her inside and cleaning up some accidents for a few weeks, than to have to clean up the mess a litter of puppies make. Besides, if he's already been humping her, and depending on what stage of her heat she's at, she may already be in pup.

Well you will have to. It's not fair to let her get pregnant. Trust me, leaving her inside is the least of your worries if you leave them together.
    I don't think you realise the seriousness of this. Please do not leave them together. Either leave one inside and one outside or send one to a friend to mind or kennels while she's in season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

So where do you keep her? I hope it's not outside. She'll be a babe magnet for every dog within a three mile radius! :eek:

Surely you knew to expect this when you have a Bitch that's not spayed and an intact dog?

There's nothing you can do at this late stage apart from separating them.

• Advertisement

It was the vets that told me that he couldnt get her in pups and also told me they wouldnt spay her till shes 6 weeks after shes out of season so i figured it was ok to leave them together. I only seen him trying to mount her once. His balls are the size of a pea they havent dropped

So where do you keep her? I hope it's not outside. She'll be a babe magnet for every dog within a three mile radius! :eek:

Yes i leave her outside ive high walls

I would be changing vets then so if that's what they said.

I also asked a dog breeder and they said he is young. Surely he wouldnt give up trying to mount her. He only tried the once

It was the vets that told me that he couldnt get her in pups and also told me they wouldnt spay her till shes 6 weeks after shes out of season so i figured it was ok to leave them together. I only seen him trying to mount her once. His balls are the size of a pea they havent dropped

Vets won't tend to spay a bitch until she's mid-cycle (10-12 weeks after the heat)... with a couple of exceptions, one of which is a risk of the bitch being pregnant.
    OP, do what your vet advises if you like, if he's wrong I'm sure he'll take the pups from you when they're born to save you the hassle. But believe me, it can and does happen. And you did ask.

Edited to ask: Do you leave them together when you're out at work OP? If so, how do you know how often he has mounted your bitch? And are we talking mounting her with full deed done? Or are we talking him climbing on her head to hump it?

Trust me. I own a stud dog and I know how old they can be to get a Bitch pregnant.

If she's only starting her season then she won't be at the prime of her season when they are ready to be mated. From 10 days or so is when they are at their peak of their season so he will be going mad to mate her then
    Please take our advice as we know what we are talking about or you are going to end up with her pregnant.

He climbs on her back put his willy doesnt get big

It doesn't need to. If he humping then he could get in to her then and once she's ready she will want to be mated and will stand to allow him.

Please stop letting them do this and keep them apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

Be careful OP, dogs are known to manage the impossible when they're trying to get to a bitch in season so climbing walls may not be such a problem for some. I'd definitely keep her in and separated from the dog. I own intact male and female and when she's in season, they are kept in separate rooms with two closed doors between them.

She growls at him when he tries. You barely can see his balls ill ring the vets in the morning

• Advertisement

Yes she's growling now because she's not at the stage where she's ready to be mated. Give it another few days and it will be a totally different story, believe me.

Trust me, I would not be ringing those vets again. They have already given you very bad advice.

Ya it seems they havent giving me terrible advice. Shes about 2 weeks into her being in season and has stopped bleeding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

OP will you listen. Seriously. We just informed you that your vet is talking nonsense, why would you ignore the advice of people who actually breed dogs here and wait to talk to someone who is obviously clueless?

Your bitch CAN get pregnant, and your dog CAN do it. Do not presume to know how your male dog's body works and how it should look - he is a boy and she is a girl and both are fertile.
    If you leave them alone together at work, then you have no idea what has happened. She will only growl when she is not ready. Once she is, she will do ANYTHING to get pregnant. My last foster bitch used to press her privates against a chainlink fence for the dog next door.
    Seriously, stop ignoring perfectly good and factual advice and separate the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

Just to clarify OP, his willy as you call it won't swell up before he's actually entered the bitch, the humping is only sort of aiming. Once he's in, that's when the penis swells up and then it's too late to do anything about it. I'd suggest to take the advice given and separate them. Also some bitches are early ovulaters and can become pregnant early in their season and since I assume you don't know when your bitch is in the prime I'd separate them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 verat

OP, seems that the best thing you could do, in both of your dogs interests, is to give them to someone who will look after them properly, you've been offered a lot of good and professional advice here today and still won't take it. Your bitch needs to be spayed ASAP, this can be done by keyhole surgery nowadays and your male dog needs to be done when he ready too, not just to stop him from humping other bitches, but prevents lots of types of cancer too. You should have checked this out BEFORE getting the dogs.

verat wrote: »
    OP, seems that the best thing you could do, in both of your dogs interests, is to give them to someone who will look after them properly, you've been offered a lot of good and professional advice here today and still won't take it. Your bitch needs to be spayed ASAP, this can be done by keyhole surgery nowadays and your male dog needs to be done when he ready too, not just to stop him from humping other bitches, but prevents lots of types of cancer too. You should have checked this out BEFORE getting the dogs.

Excuse me my dogs are well looked after they get the best of everything how bloody dare u suggest i give my dogs up. I asked a vet and dog breeder before i got the puppy. The vet is doing the dog at 6 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Excuse me my dogs are well looked after they get the best of everything how bloody dare u suggest i give my dogs up. I asked a vet and dog breeder before i got the puppy. The vet is doing the dog at 6 months

And both your breeder and vet told you utter codswallop, suggesting they arent professionals at all. Never mind the fact that you don't seem to think your bitch could possibly get pregnant by leaving her outside in an enclosed space with an entire male dog. Sounds like the breeder told you what you wanted to hear to make you buy the pup, which means they weren't a very good breeder. As for the vet, I am at a loss. All those years in college to tell you that, when so many people adopting males and females from the same litter have surrendered their dogs after accidental pregnancies while they were still pups?

Okay everyone, that's enough of this jaw-dropping nonsense.
    OP, it's one thing coming to a forum and asking for advice, and choosing not to take that advice in real life. That's entirely your prerogative.
    But to ask for help and reject it at every turn on-thread is quite a different kettle of fish. I simply don't know why you asked when you are so determined you already know the answer.
    Good luck to you, no doubt you'll get away with it.
    Thread closed.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement