Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phil Neville's comments on Tomáš Rosický on MOTD2

• 26-01-2015 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

He said he'd two-foot him, because of his wonderful pass today.

Surely this is a scummy comment and has no place in football?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah he will regret that one alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I hope he gets the Chiles treatment. P45 time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Trying to create a bit of controversy around himself I'd say!

Here's the goal from youtube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

efb wrote: »
    Surely this is a scummy comment and has no place in football?

Perhaps, if you're a sensitive Sally that is.

For the rest of us non drama queens, it was clearly said in jest and not to be taken seriously.

https://vine.co/v/OTM5tbqgLbE

• Advertisement

Perhaps, if you're a sensitive Sally that is.

For the rest of us non drama queens, it was clearly said in jest and not to be taken seriously.

https://vine.co/v/OTM5tbqgLbE

I don't think such things as a career ending tackle have any place on TV. Even paddy power twitter know he over stepped the mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

He's probably just angry that he doesnt know how to make a cup of instant coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

My god, he was only joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Get off the high horses lads. Have none of you ever played football? The lad showboating in training or in a game often got hatcheted.

It's not pretty and I personally dislike that laddish, hardman culture but it was very, very common. He didn't say anything outlandish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I don't think such things as a career ending tackle have any place on TV. Even paddy power twitter know he over stepped the mark

I didn't see MOTD unless there's more too it then that it looks very jokey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Errr any pundit advocating a two footed and possible career ending tackle should be dropped by the BBC. Disgraceful comment and it is backing up the idea that thuggery on the pitch is the way to deal with skilful players!

I can just imagine the out roar in here if Thierry Henry for example said something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Please please please take him off match of the day. He's awful

Kirby wrote: »
    Get off the high horses lads. Have none of you ever played football? The lad showboating in training or in a game often got hatcheted.

It's not pretty and I personally dislike that laddish, hardman culture but it was very, very common. He didn't say anything outlandish.

two-footing a player isn't overstepping the mark???

Its endorsing career ending tackles

There's an Arsenal player doing just that.

It's not pleasant but it most certainly is a part of football. Stop being a drama queen.

Soups123 wrote: »
    I didn't see MOTD unless there's more too it then that it looks very jokey!

ok. watch motd2 and let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Phil Neville. The poor man's Gary Neville.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

gandalf wrote: »
    Errr any pundit advocating a two footed and possible career ending tackle should be dropped by the BBC. Disgraceful comment and it is backing up the idea that thuggery on the pitch is the way to deal with skilful players!

I can just imagine the out roar in here if Thierry Henry for example said something similar.
    Henry wouldn't be able to do it anyway ! I am not too sure if Phil Neville would be able to do that much damage here.

Still it was a damn stupid thing for him to say and did he actually say it twice.

He is a twat prat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

ok. watch motd2 and let me know.

I tried googling but could only get a quote anyone got a link that goes a few seconds longer than the one posted?

It's not pleasant but it most certainly is a part of football. Stop being a drama queen.

did I condone that???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Not only career ending but life ending if he jumps too high and catches Rosicky right in the face. Phil Neville should be done for inciting violence. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone who knows anything about the culture of the training ground would not be shocked if fancy-dan behaviour were undercut with an elbow or a two foot sliding tackle.

If it was some Soccer AM trash I'd understand but its MOTD, tv's flagship football program.

did I condone that???

No, but you blew the comment up into something it wasn't because he said it about an Arsenal player. If he had said it about some non leaguer, there would be no thread here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

No, but you blew the comment up into something it wasn't because he said it about an Arsenal player. If he had said it about some non leaguer, there would be no thread here.

thats an assumption you are making, I haven't heard it about any other player, i wouldn't be impressed whomever he played for

xtal191 wrote: »

irresponsible on tv's flagship football program

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

thats an assumption you are making, I haven't heard it about any other player, i wouldn't be impressed whomever he played for

Good for you.

So you being an Arsenal fan and it being said about Rosicky are completely unrelated. You would have started this thread regardless......... :rolleyes:

You trying to say that with a straight face?

I would like to remind the jury that this is mr efb's phone wallpaper. 336432.jpg

The prosecution rests.

So you being an Arsenal fan and it being said about Rosicky are completely unrelated. You would have started this thread regardless......... :rolleyes:

I would like to remind the jury that this is mr efb's phone wallpaper. 336432.jpg

The prosecution rests.

That would be all inadmissible as its conjecture.

I don't have time for career ending tackles etc. And enough of the nancy name calling cr@p. I'm sure boxing is more physical than football...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Phil neville is just a goose who should be ignored.

That's it really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Phil neville is just a goose who should be ignored.

That's it really.

The goose is on the loose. Quack quack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What a non-issue to start a thread about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

DVDM93 wrote: »
    The goose is on the loose. Quack quack.

Can he duck this controversy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

His twitter handle is crap, fizzer 18? Pfffft

What a non-issue to start a thread about.

delighted you found it worthy enough to comment on all the same

• Advertisement

The prosecution rests.

also that is a pic I posted that one could use as phone wallpaper, not that it was mine.
    Prosecution is based on whataboutary and conjecture. The defence rests.

Phil's last two footed challenge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Arsenal fan here, big fan of everything Tomas Rosicky. I was surprised when I heard him say it but I don't think he should be handed a P45 because of it.

It was a joke, maybe an ill judged one, but an off the cuff remark meant to be taken lightly, rather than a carte blanche for leg breakers to come back into style.

I think if a pundit with a former hard man reputation had said something of the sort, people would say they enjoyed his honesty. For example, if Roy Keane said that in a press conference the media would lap it up and so would a lot of football fans.

I'm no fan of Phil Neville in general, he's a boring and dull pundit, but I did find it refreshing that, for one second, he deviated from the script to give some insight to how he himself would have reacted to Rosicky playing in such a way. So much football coverage is sycophantic repetitive nonsense, particularly on MOTD. Maybe it's not advisable or palatable to some, but it was honest and I'd welcome that, rather than Mark Lawrenson phoning it in or Robbie Savage giving out about diving and cheating like he's on a one man moral crusade, when we all know he was a dirty player himself back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Phil's last two footed challenge...

That's a two footed challenge insofar as both players have two feet.

This thread is sponsored by Maude Flanders

Sports pundit makes silly comment.

I'm shocked. I was at home expecting postmodern deconstructive analysis. Sack him.

• Advertisement

Maybe we should use #banter for the 'proper' football fans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Can't stand Phil Neville, but tbh he's only equally as bad as the rest of them. It's as if they are told to be completely devoid of personality or non-conformist opinions before each show starts.
    The best thing I've seen on Match of the Day in a long while was Ruud Gullit being confused about Paul Lambert/Rickie Lambert the other week; which saya a lot tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Can't stand Phil Neville, but tbh he's only equally as bad as the rest of them. It's as if they are told to be completely devoid of personality or non-conformist opinions before each show starts.
    The best thing I've seen on Match of the Day in a long while was Ruud Gullit being confused about Paul Lambert/Rickie Lambert the other week; which saya a lot tbh.
    Ruud Gullit likes to collect the dosh without putting much effort in. The BBC obviously has not done much research on his managerial efforts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I've heard worse. I remember Alan Hansen complaining that a defender needed shooing for commiting a error that led to a goal. Less than two days after Andreas Escobars' murder. Then there was Graeme Souness' infamous rape comment on RTE a few years back.

I've heard worse. I remember Alan Hansen complaining that a defender needed shooing for commiting a error that led to a goal. Less than two days after Andreas Escobars' murder. Then there was Graeme Souness' infamous rape comment on RTE a few years back.

Souness was punished

That's a two footed challenge insofar as both players have two feet.

This thread is sponsored by Maude Flanders

Don't you mean Mrs Lovejoy? maude's dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Souness was punished

What was the punishment? I do remember Darragh Maloney sheepishly apologizing after the ad break.

Souness was 'on a break' for awhile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Pure what-aboutery. Bad tackles happen from time. You don't expect them to be condoned by tv pundits

Nothing story.

Phil Neville is a poor analyst though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement