Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phil Neville's comments on Tomáš Rosický on MOTD2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Nothing story.

Phil Neville is a poor analyst though.

Agreed, if he was joking he should steer away from attempted humour in future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

What if somebody had thumped(there and then) Phil Neville in the mouth for opening his big mouth and coming out with this nonsense.

Basically he is saying a not very skilful player should do a very skilful player if he does not like the skilful player getting a bit ostentatious with his/her skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Beware the green eyed monster which doth mock the meat it feeds on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Footballer in role as a pundit comes out with a footballing phrase . Nothing to see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

greendom wrote: »
    Pure what-aboutery.

You realise that's not a word, right?

Kirby wrote: »

Trends
    Word FrequencyNo usage level data available
    whataboutery (ˌwɑːtəˈbaʊtərɪ Pronunciation for whataboutery )

Definitions
    noun

(of two communities in conflict) the practice of repeatedly blaming the other side and referring to events from the past)
    http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/whataboutery

It's the British football mentality of thuggishness over skill - that's why they can't have nice things

I'd get a new dictionary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

efb wrote: »
    I'd get a new dictionary

I'll leave you to your user submitted online dictionaries. I'll stick with the one real ones.

It's not in the Oxford English dictionary, it's not a word.

• Advertisement

I'll leave you to your user submitted online dictionaries. I'll stick with the one real ones.

It's not in the Oxford English dictionary, it's not a word.

Collins is well respected but it exposes your argument so I can see why you would chose to ignore it

you understand the meaning!

Thanks for getting in touch with us about FA Cup Match of the Day broadcast on the 25 January.

When analysing the playing style of Tomas Rosicky, Phil attempted a tongue-in-cheek comment. This comment wasn’t meant to cause offence, but on reflection, Phil does acknowledge that the language he used was unfortunate.

That said, Mark Chapman did challenge him straight away and we felt that the tone of the discussion was light-hearted enough to suggest that we weren’t condoning any kind of violence or setting an example to a younger audience.

BBC Sport will, however, remind the team to take extra care in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thanks for getting in touch with us about FA Cup Match of the Day broadcast on the 25 January.

When analysing the playing style of Tomas Rosicky, Phil attempted a tongue-in-cheek comment. This comment wasn’t meant to cause offence, but on reflection, Phil does acknowledge that the language he used was unfortunate.

That said, Mark Chapman did challenge him straight away and we felt that the tone of the discussion was light-hearted enough to suggest that we weren’t condoning any kind of violence or setting an example to a younger audience.

You must feel proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Do you also call the Gards when the kids loiter outside your establishment?

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Do you also call the Gards when the kids loiter outside your establishment?

Just tell them to move on. Not really an issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Pundits have said similar stuff for years, about kicking players and letting them know they're in a game etc.

Can't believe you would actually complain about it though, it was a throw away comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I've always wondered who would actually waste their time by sending a letter/email of complaint to television channels.

Fromvert wrote: »
    Pundits have said similar stuff for years, about kicking players and letting them know they're in a game etc.

Can't believe you would actually complain about it though, it was a throw away comment.

Such a throwaway comment they apologised and reminded him to be more careful in future?

That's only the first time I complained about a tv show

baz2009 wrote: »
    I've always wondered who would actually waste their time by sending a letter/email of complaint to television channels.

It wasn't a waste of my time

Such a throwaway comment they apologised and reminded him to be more careful in future?

That's only the first time I complained about a tv show

Only to appease sensitive people like yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

It wasn't a waste of my time

Kinda was.

Were you able to go back and prevent it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Can we please, please think of the children?

Kinda was.

Were you able to go back and prevent it?

Help stop it repeating

Help stop it repeating

Why? Are you afraid of someone hearing it and then going out and doing it the next time a more skillful player makes a show of them?

Why? Are you afraid of someone hearing it and then going out and doing it the next time a more skillful player makes a show of them?

Some moron might think it means they can.

Can't believe that would offend anyone.

I'd never get through the day if that offended me!

I don't think Rosicky made a show of the player to be fair it was just exceptional skill

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Can't believe that would offend anyone.

I'd never get through the day if that offended me!

Different strokes for different folks

Some moron might think it means they can.

Don't want to shock you but kicking people/bad tackles are part of every level of the game and players are told and tell each other to leave one on a player/rough him up if they're playing well/doing flicks/step overs etc. Some players wilt under a bit of hard contact.

It always will be as well.

Don't want to shock you but kicking people/bad tackles are part of every level of the game and players are told and tell each other to leave one on a player/rough him up if they're playing well/doing flicks/step overs etc. Some players wilt under a bit of hard contact.

like diving I suppose ?

• Advertisement

I not stupid I'm aware it happens but it doesn't make it right, they don't condone diving

greendom wrote: »
    like diving I suppose ?

I'm not against it, it happens. It's all gamesmanship.
    I might be pissed when it happens to a team I'm on but will laugh when we/I get away with it.

I not stupid I'm aware it happens but it doesn't make it right, they don't condone diving

That's just a view that certain footballing cultures see as how to play the game and they'll think stuff are wrong/bad for the game but they're clueless.
    If you're not cheating you're not trying etc, there's not a successful team around that don't use something that would be deemed 'wrong' to get an edge etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Passed no remarks when Neville said it in MOTD.
    It was a joke imo and a compliment to Rosicky.
    We had a lad who used to play for an opposing team years ago and we joked that we'd have to have him shot. We didn't really intend to kill him :D

Passed no remarks when Neville said it in MOTD.
    It was a joke imo and a compliment to Rosicky.
    We had a lad who used to play for an opposing team years ago and we joked that we'd have to have him shot. We didn't really intend to kill him :D

Don't think you did it on MOTD to be fair

Don't think you did it on MOTD to be fair

No BUT Phil is no longer playing either so it's not likely to happen in real life.

No BUT Phil is no longer playing either so it's not likely to happen in real life.

He shouldn't endorse it. They don't endorse diving

Some pundit's have laughed about diving, I remember Duff saying 'I was fond of dive myself' when being a pundit and discussing a dive that happened in a game.

No they don';t but he was talking about when he was playing.

• Advertisement

Better fire up that email and get on to TV3

http://www.joe.ie/sport/video-damien-duff-was-brutally-honest-about-his-views-on-diving-on-tv3-last-night/422684

We can't have pundits condoning diving.

Some pundit's have laughed about diving, I remember Duff saying 'I was fond of dive myself' when being a pundit and discussing a dive that happened in a game.

On what? Not MOTD

Better fire up that email and get on to TV3

http://www.joe.ie/sport/video-damien-duff-was-brutally-honest-about-his-views-on-diving-on-tv3-last-night/422684

We can't have pundits condoning diving.

Tv3 enough said. Diving doesn't deliberately injure another player tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

This thread makes me despair for humanity.

Mary Whitehouse would be proud of the OP.

Tv3 enough said. Diving doesn't deliberately injure another player tho

What's the difference between MOTD and TV3's analysis of a game, both are usually rubbish.
    So why were you bringing up not condoning diving, here's a pundit condoning it. Or is it just specifically MOTD?

What's the difference between MOTD and TV3's analysis of a game, both are usually rubbish.
    So why were you bringing up not condoning diving, here's a pundit condoning it. Or is it just specifically MOTD?

I just think TV3s coverage is awful, and diving isn't setting out to injure someone

• Advertisement

I just think TV3s coverage is awful, and diving isn't setting out to injure someone

I don't know why you brought up condoning diving then? If they're not condoning diving they can't condone/joke about a bad tackle/kicking someone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I just think TV3s coverage is awful,

you should write to complain.

Worse than an aul wan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

In purely scientific terms, anyone (the OP for example) who is offended and wants Phil Neville to be sacked for this has the emotional intelligence of an eleven year old child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Free speech taking a hit.

Je suis Phil.

I don't know why you brought up condoning diving then? If they're not condoning diving they can't condone/joke about a bad tackle/kicking someone?

That was something players do the whole time, it doesn't make it right. And MOTD won't condone it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement