Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC build and some general questions

Options
  • 26-01-2015 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€1500]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/Desktop publishing] I'm out of touch with PC gaming but would like to play the latest on Ultra if pos...?!?

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Yes, all.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No] but as I know damn all about it, I don't know the pros n cons.

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [asap, but no mad rush]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based [Louth]

I'd like to connect this to a 55" lcd TV. Unsure of the logistics of that re: being able to view screen without bars/stretching and sound output. I have a sound bar if it's possible to utilize that? Would like to move away from just playing Fifa online on PS and get into more "grown up" online games like Arma 3, etc. So any advice 're: what games to check out would also be welcome..!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Wolfgang Megahertz

1. What is your budget? [€1500]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/Desktop publishing] I'm out of touch with PC gaming but would like to play the latest on Ultra if pos...?!?

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Yes, all.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No] but as I know damn all about it, I don't know the pros n cons.

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [asap, but no mad rush]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based [Louth]

I'd like to connect this to a 55" lcd TV. Unsure of the logistics of that re: being able to view screen without bars/stretching and sound output. I have a sound bar if it's possible to utilize that? Would like to move away from just playing Fifa online on PS and get into more "grown up" online games like Arma 3, etc. So any advice 're: what games to check out would also be welcome..!

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Bump

Ok wolf stay away from custom build sites.

Would you be comfortable building yourself?

I'll do up a build now see whats what.

Case. nanoxia deep silence 3 65 euro.

Ram. Crucial ballistic sport 8 gig 65 euro.

Ssd. 250 gig 109.

Hdd. Western digital blue 1tb. 50

PSU. be quiet 7 600w. 65

Gpu. Gigabyte gtx 970 g1. 365

Dvd drive optional 15.

Overclocking option
    Cpu. possibly i7 devils canyon. 340
    Cpu cooler coolmaster hyper evo 30 euro
    Mobo. Z97 of some sort. 130
    Oc route 500

Non oc
    Xeon 1231v3 245 euro.
    H97 board 90.
    Non oc 335 euro

Total for overclocking route
    Including windows delivered 1340 euro approx

Total for non overclocking
    Including windows. Delivered 1175 euro approx.

All Parts sourced from hwvsardwareversand.de using geizhals.de discount site.

Lovely. I put a couple together about 15 - 20 years ago, so whilst I'm not exactly confident, I reckon YouTube will give me a dig out if I'm stumped.

Thanks VERY much for the help!

You can get Windows of reddit 20 euro.

Or a copy costs 85\90

• Advertisement

Cheers! Are you getting these prices from any particular site?

Cheers! Are you getting these prices from any particular site?

Hardwareversand. de

The discount site used with it is down at the moment will update when it comes back online.

Wolf I have edited build doing an overclocked version and non . All prices rounded up.

Again you can knock 70 euro off both builds using reddit for windows. Get Windows 8.1 and upgrade to windows 10 free. As direct x 12 will not be fully supported by windows 7 Boo hoo.

Overclocking can get you more ghz from your cpu although that devils canyon i7 is stock at 4ghz. It is nice having the option.

Disadvantages It will shorten lifespan.

Let me know what you think.

That's great! Thanks again for all of your help. I'd have been lost otherwise. Reckon I'll not overclock to be honest. Will probably sit down and order all the parts this weekend.

That's great! Thanks again for all of your help. I'd have been lost otherwise. Reckon I'll not overclock to be honest. Will probably sit down and order all the parts this weekend.

Cool get familiar with geizhals.de and using hardwareversand. De

Post up your final build any changes to double check.

• Advertisement

Hi again... didn't get to sit down and sort out my shopping list until now. Can you throw your eye over the hardware below to ensure I've not made any accidents before I hand over the cash..?

WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's

Nanoxia Deep Silence DS 3 Dark Black, ohne Netzteil

8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport CL9 DDR3 PC3-12800 1600

Crucial SSD 250GB BX100

be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7 600W - bulk -

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, 4GB GDDR5

Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 Box, LGA1150

ASRock H97 Anniversary, Sockel 1150, ATX

Samsung SH-224DB schwarz

Looks good to go.

Looks good to go.

Great!

Great!

As long as you have internet sorted ie USB or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Thanks SterlingArcher for above information. I am planning on buying a PC with similar specs myself this year.

Overclocking option
    Cpu. possibly i7 devils canyon. 340
    Cpu cooler coolmaster hyper evo 30 euro
    Mobo. Z97 of some sort. 130
    Oc route 500

Non oc
    Xeon 1231v3 245 euro.
    H97 board 90.
    Non oc 335 euro

Total for overclocking route
    Including windows delivered 1340 euro approx

Total for non overclocking
    Including windows. Delivered 1175 euro approx.

All Parts sourced from hwvsardwareversand.de using geizhals.de discount site.

Why do you recommend the i7/Xeon CPU's over i5? It's my understanding that you get nearly identical performance (from a gamer's viewpoint - framerate) with an i5 as you would with an i7.

What I'm really asking is is it worth paying extra for the Xeon/i7 for a gaming PC when you can overclock an i5 and get the same results.

Cheers.

DarkDusk wrote: »
    Why do you recommend the i7/Xeon CPU's over i5? It's my understanding that you get nearly identical performance (from a gamer's viewpoint - framerate) with an i5 as you would with an i7.

What I'm really asking is is it worth paying extra for the Xeon/i7 for a gaming PC when you can overclock an i5 and get the same results.

Cheers.

Wolfgang required a pc for gaming but also video editing.

I take it you are building?

Wolfgang required a pc for gaming but also video editing.

I take it you are building?

Yes, I will be building a PC this year. It will definitely be in the 2nd half of the year. It will be used for gaming and everyday applications and I want to max out games at 1080p for at least 2-3 years anyway.

I will be going with the GTX 970 unless there is a big price drop in another a better card (not too likely) and looking to spend over a grand on it (but if I can get this price down all the better).

DarkDusk wrote: »
    Yes, I will be building a PC this year. It will definitely be in the 2nd half of the year. It will be used for gaming and everyday applications and I want to max out games at 1080p for at least 2-3 years anyway.

I will be going with the GTX 970 unless there is a big price drop in another a better card (not too likely) and looking to spend over a grand on it (but if I can get this price down all the better).

Cool. Well second half of this year be a good time to buy. Should definitely get a pc maxing out at 1080p no problem. Try budget around 1100.Would hop back on then and see whats what.

I just wanted to bump this thread and say thanks to Sterling for his advice. I put the machine together a couple of weeks ago and it works like a dream. Arma III and Crysis III look fantastic!

• Advertisement

Double post thanks to Irish Rail WiFi.

Advertisement