Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caught in Limbo

• 26-01-2015 4:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Been meaning to post this here for a while but its a difficult one to word. To make a very long story short, my uncle suffered a massive amount of brain damage, he will never regain consciousness or make any form of a meaningful recovery, this happened around 5 months ago now.

Despite the fact that he has suffered severe brain damage, he isn't brain dead, his heart, lungs etc are all still intact, he was a healthy man all round prior to the incident. This is what puts me and my family in limbo, we have to try and accept that the man we knew is gone forever, but at the same time, he is still alive. We don't know if we should be grieving or what we should be doing. Given the fact he was a healthy individual, he could remain alive for 5 to 10 years in his current state. He has absolutely no quality of life, if he was ever to regain consciousness he will be totally paralysed and unable to perform any normal functions, he also received a tracheotomy so he wouldn't even be able to speak.

I really don't know how to feel or act, I haven't visited him since Christmas Day because it just brings me to tears seeing him the way he is..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Hi Caught, what an awful story. I really don't know what to say. Some people really do get an absolute $hit hand dealt to them.

You and your uncle are in my thoughts.

I lost my uncle a few years back. He was a great character and was great mates with my Dad. He and my Dad would do like a double act of banter at family gatherings. Six months after he died, my Dad died too.

I miss them both terribly.

Advertisement