Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Royal Rumble aftermath *results inside*

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

BMMachine wrote: »
    2011 - Alberto Del Rio winning - Heel victory (fine) lost the opener at mania to a guy that retired soon after (WTF. PUT HIM OVER IF THATS THE CASE)
    To be fair, I don't think they actually knew Edge was going to have to retire pre-Mania, so that's a null point.
    briany wrote: »
    When RAW gets cancelled like this, they should put the show on anyway. Have the storyline be that one wrestler and about 2 dozen fans didn't get the news and showed up anyway. Next three hours is the wrestler walking around the building looking for a road agent, trying to get a cell signal, cutting promos to camera on a variety of random subjects, looking at his watch and freaking out because he was late for a scheduled run-in, attempting to wrestle the ring steps while also calling the match and doing play-by-play, getting a tour of the production truck etc.

Sounds like the sort of thing they could have Ambrose pull off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

glenjamin wrote: »
    This was pretty hard to watch. It's like Rock is Reigns' father trying to talk up his son and life vicariously through his son's accomplishments :D Inserting Rock into the picture was a bad idea. I like Reigns, but he shouldn't be main eventing Mania just yet. Him and Rusev for the US title would have made a lot more sense and given Reigns a better platform to get the fans on his side and start a slow build for Reigns to become a main eventer.

Saw this comment which made me laugh:
    I'm guessing he forgave Roman after he triple powerbombed him 2 years ago lol

I admit I'd forgotten that. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Some people think the Rock was a bit tipsy in that interview. It was Pat Patterson's birthday so he may have had some Champagne or something.

B8TDszTIIAARIp2.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm kinda over the whole Daniel Bryan YES movement etc. He's a savage wrestler and all, don't get me wrong, but he main evented Mania last year and had a great moment doing so. I don't agree that we just get him in the main event because we cry n bitch n moan.

What DOES annoy me is the predictability of it all. Never in a million years did I think anyone but Reigns was winning. Hell, I got him in our Rumble Pool at our party and said ah ''yeah there's my petrol money for the week sorted''. It sucks that, with the minor possibility of Bryan winning, there was zero hope for Rusev, Ziggler, Ryback, Ambrose or even Wyatt to win after some nice booking for them over the last year, albeit with stop-start connotations.

I don't blame Reigns. I actually do like him. Met him last year and he was an absolute gentleman, legit. Felt bad for the dude last night. He has been booked very vanilla though. He was a silent destroyer this time last year as part of a tweener stable and that would have been cool if he had have won (there's definite irony here, the crowd last year would have loved it) as it was a bit out of left field and we knew little about him. But a year later, zero character development and even in his old Shield attire and music while getting protective booking, it's hard to care.

I also feel sorry for Cena, Rollins and Lesnar. Absolute show stealer of a match which has unfortunately been somewhat overshadowed. That bout really sucked me in and my mates were ooohing and awwwing at it like mad men, that's what wrestling should be all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Let's be clear. Reigns is NOT to blame for this. I feel sorry for him, and for his young daughter who watched her dad be crapped on like that. I think most sensible fans know he's not to blame and actually like the guy.

It's the senile old fossil; "You want DB, Ambrose or Ziggler?" Too bad. Cesaro? Hell no.

It's not even that DB didn't win. It's HOW it went down. They were totally shameless in using his "big comeback" to boost buys for the Network and create interest in the match. And then he's thrown out with no drama. No story, no screwjob. Nothing. Like he's an irrelevant mid carder. It's disgusting.

Ambrose? Thrown out like a geek. Ziggler? Nothing. Ryback? Nothing. Even a decent showing from Wyatt was crapped on. We had to watch two mid 40s geriatrics who NO ONE care about bury all the young talent on the roster.

Even the way Reigns won was embarrassing. Was it him looking super strong and overcoming odds? Nope. It was because Big Show and Kane turned on each other and Rusev even looked like a geek.

The booking, and the BLATANT ****ting on of fan favourites by McMahon is so self-sabotaging and incomprehensible. Share prices falling, bad ratings, poor Network subscribers numbers and he does THIS?

I feel bad for Reigns and the Rock. I don't feel bad for the brass, they got exactly what they deserved.

Deplorable.

I agree with you in relation to Reigns. What WWE have done to him has seriously dented his career for now and if they did not see it coming they are idiots. Bringing Rock out to help him was a huge mistake.

In relation to DB I have no idea why they did it like they did. They should have did it one of 2 ways 1 was the very beginning with a screw job with Show and Kane and then he comes out to help Reigns or at the end with the same type of screw job. Where they did it made no sense. If people actually thought he was going to win then they were stupid.

I read some feedback to the show on the Observer and I thought this letter summed things up well:
    Thumbs down
    Best Match: Triple Threat
    Worst Match: Royal Rumble

The Triple Threat was great. Everything else was simply terrible. If I thought the WWE was bad last year, as they did everything in their power to deny the fans what they wanted and called it a storyline...this is far worse. Because they should know better by now.

Daniel Bryan is not only the most well-rounded performer on the roster, but he's charismatic, abundantly "over" with the crowd, and the "yes" chant is a legitimate crossover sensation. Plus, this guy suffered a nearly career ending injury and then worked his way back, clawing, to return to work. He's got a great inspiration real life story, and he's a brilliant wrestler. And the fans like him. For real, they do.

After hearing about all those people who don't 'reach for the brass ring' - here's a man who's dedicated his life to the business and made himself a star.

So they get rid of him early, just so he doesn't distract from the green, barely ready Reigns, who looks more like a guy in a movie. And it backfires. Just like it did last year. Because they are showing the audience about as much respect as they're showing the performers.
    It's not only Bryan that gets this treatment. Why are we watching Big Show and Kane - two performers who's time has come and gone many times over - eliminate Bray Wyatt, Dolph Ziggler and Dean Ambrose? Just so they can get beaten up by a retired star?
    The WWE has lost touch with its audience entirely. I've been watching WWE since 1987, and tonight's Royal Rumble may have been the low point.

Can't they hear the audience?
    -Matt Freeman

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭therickster

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'm kinda over the whole Daniel Bryan YES movement etc. He's a savage wrestler and all, don't get me wrong, but he main evented Mania last year and had a great moment doing so. I don't agree that we just get him in the main event because we cry n bitch n moan.

What DOES annoy me is the predictability of it all. Never in a million years did I think anyone but Reigns was winning. Hell, I got him in our Rumble Pool at our party and said ah ''yeah there's my petrol money for the week sorted''. It sucks that, with the minor possibility of Bryan winning, there was zero hope for Rusev, Ziggler, Ryback, Ambrose or even Wyatt to win after some nice booking for them over the last year, albeit with stop-start connotations.

I also feel sorry for Cena, Rollins and Lesnar. Absolute show stealer of a match which has unfortunately been somewhat overshadowed. That bout really sucked me in and my mates were ooohing and awwwing at it like mad men, that's what wrestling should be all about.

Agree about the predictability of it. I have only watched parts of the build up to RR and I was in no doubt that Reigns would win. Slight possibility of Bryan, I thought he might be in the final 4 at least. But I suppose Bryan going the way he did gave us a bit of Unpredictability doesn't it?? :)

Maybe there is something else around the corner they are looking at doing with Bryan? I'm really not sure what that plan is though.

And yep, Cena, Rollins & Lesnar should be damn proud of that Triple Threat...very difficult matches to work and that was possibly 1 of the best 3 way matches I've seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

glenjamin wrote: »
    This was pretty hard to watch.

The worst promo Ive seen The Rock in post his Rocky Maivia days. Towards the end he even says "he's not here is he?" confirming they should be scared.

Terrible stuff all round and Reigns genuinely comes across as having some sort of mental disability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Reigns is going to study some tapes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Reigns and Rock were just in a bit of shock.

It's hard to know what they should do in that situation. They shouldn't have been put in front of a camera.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

SlickRic wrote: »

Were they not expecting the booing?

It's hard to know what they should do in that situation. They shouldn't have been put in front of a camera.

Goes to show how poorly the show is run from start to finish and behind the scenes as well.

Things like this are where JR was perfect and was the glue that held everything together. They need old school wrestling minds to be bring the product along, not hollywood script writers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Were they not expecting the booing?

If they were, certainly not to that degree IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If they were, certainly not to that degree IMO.

I guess Rock's presence was cause they were expecting it somewhat. But I guess they thought once Rock came out, the crowd would sheep and just get behind them.

It just scares me a bit that they are that out of touch, they couldn't see such an obvious negative reaction coming...

Lord TSC wrote: »
    It just scares me a bit that they are that out of touch, they couldn't see such an obvious negative reaction coming...

Yeah vince is completely and utterly out of touch with things now. I'm not punks biggest fan but he made some great points in his Colt Cobana podcast.

Vince retorted with his Austin podcast and he says ufc isn't a competitor and we're managing ok. 1 week later... Punk shows up beside Joe Rogan at UFC PPV!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Out of the three eliminations, Bray's was the most disappointing. He was arguably the most dominant guy in the match (most eliminations with Rusev at 6 I think?), and was being portrayed as such. He's then chucked out after...a chokeslam? Big deal. At least Ziggler was hit by a 450 pound fist, it's somewhat believable that that would turn the lights out completely.

Saying that though, all three of those guys (including Ambrose also) deserved better than that (it's been said numerous times, but I have to say it again). Can Bray realistically face Undertaker now after such a feeble finish to his Rumble? In 10 seconds, they managed to undo a powerful 40+ minute display.

This was the least of their problems but just watching the replay and wondering was Titus supposed to equal or better Santino's quick elimination? Looked like there was a botch as he gets caught in the ropes before getting dumped out in what Cole says was 4 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Let's be clear. Reigns is NOT to blame for this. I feel sorry for him, and for his young daughter who watched her dad be crapped on like that. I think most sensible fans know he's not to blame and actually like the guy.

It's the senile old fossil; "You want DB, Ambrose or Ziggler?" Too bad. Cesaro? Hell no.

It's not even that DB didn't win. It's HOW it went down. They were totally shameless in using his "big comeback" to boost buys for the Network and create interest in the match. And then he's thrown out with no drama. No story, no screwjob. Nothing. Like he's an irrelevant mid carder. It's disgusting.

Ambrose? Thrown out like a geek. Ziggler? Nothing. Ryback? Nothing. Even a decent showing from Wyatt was crapped on. We had to watch two mid 40s geriatrics who NO ONE care about bury all the young talent on the roster.

Even the way Reigns won was embarrassing. Was it him looking super strong and overcoming odds? Nope. It was because Big Show and Kane turned on each other and Rusev even looked like a geek.

The booking, and the BLATANT ****ting on of fan favourites by McMahon is so self-sabotaging and incomprehensible. Share prices falling, bad ratings, poor Network subscribers numbers and he does THIS?

I feel bad for Reigns and the Rock. I don't feel bad for the brass, they got exactly what they deserved.

Deplorable.

I have to disagree... with your use of "geek". You say it like it's a bad thing. :)

WWE clearly don't learn from their treatment of Bryan. Not just because of last year, but also WM 28 when Shemus beat him right away and the fans let WWE know how they felt the whole night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This was the least of their problems but just watching the replay and wondering was Titus supposed to equal or better Santino's quick elimination? Looked like there was a botch as he gets caught in the ropes before getting dumped out in what Cole says was 4 seconds.

Looked like it but think was Titus's fault as much as anyone's because he was too far from the ropes.

• Advertisement

Also chatter online that the crowd mics were lowered last night at the end. So the boos we heard were actually even louder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CaptKirk

so is raw going ahead tonight or not?

varied reports online

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CaptKirk wrote: »
    so is raw going ahead tonight or not?

varied reports online

It's a live studio show from wwe HQ. Expect lots of interviews, archive clips and all that jazz. Except for no jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

10926225_816469991732605_7158656619367996971_n.jpg?oh=688e67b37a61b8adb31e1fc6182b0ca1&oe=556D5A1B&__gda__=1431749319_a47cc1e6dec97bce8d25070494bb2de0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Feel bad for Reigns but not for Vince and co. I'm glad the crowd gave two fingers to the whole thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Damn that was a disappointing Rumble, the pacing was awful for the entire thing. So many people just eliminated far too quickly without a care from the very start, there was no momentum, no excitement even before Bryan's elimination. And to have Wyatt be the focus of half of the match and then just dumped out like a sack of rubbish was pointless.

The coverage was poor too, with Wyatt going through the middle rope being missed by the commentators

Im about to rewatch the triple threat because it was fúcking awesome and the Rumble itself because I missed things like the crowd booing Cena in tune with his theme.

A bit like revisiting a film that's so bad it's good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I was enjoying wyatts domination early on as it's taking Bray a while to get back on track since facing cena but nothing came of it and I couldn't believe the way it ended. Wwe have their work cut out to save this one

Advertisement