Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Working USA

Options
  • 26-01-2015 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all,

I haven't posted on here in this section before but i would appreciate for your help.

I am currently working in the Uk as a Civil engineer. I have got in contact with a constructions company who have offered me a job.

Current situation:
    I am working in London nearly 1.5years, i only plan to work in the states for 12 months, what visa do i require?

Any advice would be great thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Usually your US employer's lawyer would sort that out; a work visa is not a DIY thing, as they cost 10'000+.
    I think the H1B may suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭goondakid

looking up stuff all morning think i need either a h-1b or a h-2b

ideally i think i need a h-1b (less restrictions)

that sounds very expensive 10000!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

H1bs aren't available till April now, they are incredibly limited (usually are taken up by the tech companies quick), and you wouldn't be really looking at moving until October.

Ya i just got the idea going this weekend it has been in my head a long time to do it. I will have my employer look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

goondakid wrote: »
    Ya i just got the idea going this weekend it has been in my head a long time to do it. I will have my employer look into it.

If you're seriously interested you should make sure to hurry up and get your paperwork ready for April 1. The past few years the cap has been hit in the first day or two.

• Advertisement

Wow that is luck... hopefully i will get the ball rolling by the end of this week.... how long does it take for the visa to come through providing it is granted?

Wow that is luck... hopefully i will get the ball rolling by the end of this week.... how long does it take for the visa to come through providing it is granted?

The visa starts October 1st, you can usually enter the US a few weeks before but you can't start working until October.

spideog7 wrote: »
    The visa starts October 1st, you can usually enter the US a few weeks before but you can't start working until October.

Can i ask what are your previous experiences with applying for the visa's?

how long were you working there?
    how long were you waiting for on the application to come through?

Can i ask what are your previous experiences with applying for the visa's?

how long were you working there?
    how long were you waiting for on the application to come through?

Employer hired a lawyer who applied for it, I just filled out the forms. Lawyer wasn't great to be honest but he did whatever needed to be done.

I forget the details, but I think I had the forms back by July. Still couldn't start work until October 1st though. Working here 3.5 years in that job.

Employer hired a lawyer who applied for it, I just filled out the forms. Lawyer wasn't great to be honest but he did whatever needed to be done.

I forget the details, but I think I had the forms back by July. Still couldn't start work until October 1st though. Working here 3.5 years in that job.

Cheers for getting back to me.

If my employer requested for me to come over for the 1st may do you think i will be able to get in.

Is there any other Visa i could get?

• Advertisement

Cheers for getting back to me.

If my employer requested for me to come over for the 1st may do you think i will be able to get in.

Is there any other Visa i could get?

Unlikely, I certainly can't think of anything. Company transfer might be that quick, J1 could be do-able also. O-visa if you have a good lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MeMeJK1

If you want to be there by may, then the L1 visa (inter-company transfer) is probably your best bet. If your company regularly does these inter-company transfers they will most likely already have a blanket petition in place which will speed up the progress considerably.

From start of the process to receiving back the passport from the embassy took less than a month for me. This was with a L1-blanket. Will be slightly longer with an individual petition.

O-visa is better if you are eligible and in that case definitely go for that. Not sure how long it takes though.

Just a update, the company that are going to be employing my have got there attorney on the case that they used previous. Other option i have been looking into is the H-2B, however im not that confident that it is an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Just a update, the company that are going to be employing my have got there attorney on the case that they used previous. Other option i have been looking into is the H-2B, however im not that confident that it is an option!

They have reached full on the h-2b visas. None left for this year.

I spoken with the employer yesterday and they are hoping to get on wit it this week!

They said the fee for the visa will be $2000, who pays this out of interest?
    i am also planning a holiday to the states this summer will that effect my visa application?

I spoken with the employer yesterday and they are hoping to get on wit it this week!

They said the fee for the visa will be $2000, who pays this out of interest?
    i am also planning a holiday to the states this summer will that effect my visa application?

Employer pays that, also check prevailing wage rates here:
    http://www.flcdatacenter.com/OesQuick.aspx

I'm not sure about the holiday I would think it's less than ideal, especially if it's after you've got the actual visa, if it's during the application process you might be fine.

Employer pays that, also check prevailing wage rates here:
    http://www.flcdatacenter.com/OesQuick.aspx

I'm not sure about the holiday I would think it's less than ideal, especially if it's after you've got the actual visa, if it's during the application process you might be fine.

Sorry i ment i will be over there on holiday while my application will be going through. Also i cannot work over there until Oct 1st providing i get the visa

Sorry i ment i will be over there on holiday while my application will be going through. Also i cannot work over there until Oct 1st providing i get the visa

Yes but you'll probably get the visa sometime in July/August but won't be able to start work until October or enter the US on your visa until September. So if your holiday was between those dates ie you were entering with the visa in your passport but not using it to enter as it was too early, you might get hassle and I'd advise against it.

If on the other hand your holiday is in May while your paperwork is still being processed but before you've done the embassy interview to get your actual visa then you'd probably be fine, but that's not a definitive answer, I'm just speculating. I'd ask the immigration lawyer the company hires to submit your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Enigma365

Also i cannot work over there until Oct 1st providing i get the visa

Worth stressing that if you are going for a H1B visa, even if application is in first thing on April 1st, you will likely still only have a 40-50% chance of getting the visa. The past few years they have received many more applications than the 65,000 visas available and have had a lottery to decide who gets one. Last year the odds of getting one was 45% for someone without a masters degree. If you have a masters degree, the odds go up slightly.

The only exception to this is if your company is cap exempt(University, non profit or research) in which case there is no cap and no requirement to wait until Oct. 1st.

This might be a better option for you - esp if you are only planning to go for 12 months. No need to wait till Oct 1st for this but your company will need to structure your job as a traineeship:
    http://www.usavisa.ie/pct

If on the other hand your holiday is in May while your paperwork is still being processed but before you've done the embassy interview to get your actual visa then you'd probably be fine, but that's not a definitive answer, I'm just speculating. I'd ask the immigration lawyer the company hires to submit your application.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any idea when and what stage they will need to stamp my passport?

• Advertisement
Advertisement