Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for work done - Rented Accommodation

Options
  • 26-01-2015 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

We currently live in rented accommodation and the boiler needed a new part and some rewiring needed done in the house.

The boiler was a case of wear and tear and the rewiring was not done correctly in the first instance, before we moved in.

My landlord has suggested we split the €400 bill, is this a reasonable request as none of the work needed was due to our actions.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Winston79 wrote: »
    Hi,

We currently live in rented accommodation and the boiler needed a new part and some rewiring needed done in the house.

The boiler was a case of wear and tear and the rewiring was not done correctly in the first instance, before we moved in.

My landlord has suggested we split the €400 bill, is this a reasonable request as none of the work needed was due to our actions.

No thats not a reasonable request. You should not be paying any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Winston79

I kinda figured that would be the case seeing as how i didn't break it. I can see some trouble brewing :)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

I kinda figured that would be the case seeing as how i didn't break it. I can see some trouble brewing :)

Thanks.

I would treat this has a big red flag. This shouldn't even be a matter for contention, the landlord is completely chancing his arm. Start looking for outs imho, this won't be the last issue you have with this cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Wondering a similiar thing. Renting our apartment 2 years. It does suffer from damp causing mould on the walls and peeling paint. We clean the walls regularly but the place could do with a paint job now. Can we ask the landlord to do it or will we have to pay someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,264 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

GaGa21 wrote: »
    Wondering a similiar thing. Renting our apartment 2 years. It does suffer from damp causing mould on the walls and peeling paint. We clean the walls regularly but the place could do with a paint job now. Can we ask the landlord to do it or will we have to pay someone?

Let me guess, the landlord says something along the lines of "oh there has never been any complaint about mould before, it must be something you're doing. You need to open the windows and turn the heating on.

OP you could acknowledge his very generous offer to allow you to pay for repairs to his house, but don't need to pay any of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Do you open windows? dont rely on window vents.
    Even if there was mould before, it can only come back or ever exist iof the conditions are right.
    Where is the damp? pictures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

We recently had to fork out nearly 600 euro on the boiler and the landlord refunded the lot without questions upon receipt of invoice.
    We made sure to discuss everything in advance of booking anyone and made sure she was happy with decision and gave her a few options after we did a few ring arounds for quotes.
    Good luck, there is no way you should be forking out for boiler related issues...unless you had taken a hammer to it yourself or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

cerastes wrote:
    Do you open windows? dont rely on window vents. Even if there was mould before, it can only come back or ever exist iof the conditions are right. Where is the damp? pictures?

Yeah, we open windows as much as we can. Mould is low down on the front building wall(living room) and back building wall (bedroom). Rising damp? We have the ground floor apartment (very small one bed)of a listed building so I think it has always been an issue here. I don't mind it too much but just think it could do with a re paint.

You can be sure he is planning on using the receipt for the full amount to write off against tax too, further reducing what he/she actually has to pay ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

Hi,

Its certainly a resonable request to split the bill for the boiler..

Provided you take half of it with you when you move out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Yeah, we open windows as much as we can. Mould is low down on the front building wall(living room) and back building wall (bedroom). Rising damp? We have the ground floor apartment (very small one bed)of a listed building so I think it has always been an issue here. I don't mind it too much but just think it could do with a re paint.

So a converted older building? as apartments, maybe its just older and not listed.
    Anyway
    Before I even got to listed building, it does sound like damp from some other cause than ventilation, Id think older buildings are more leaky ventilation wise. Are there other potential water leaks from gutters pooling somewhere.
    Contact your landlord, it doesnt sound like you have, some pictures of the damp might get a better answer from someone more suitably qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Winston79

Thanks for the advice.

I'll get it sorted tomorrow with the ll.

Advertisement