Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of board to put train set on ?

Options
  • 26-01-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm seeking recommendations for a portable 'table top' board that I could put a Hornby train set on. Approx 162cm x 118cm. Would Woodie's be the best place to go ? If so, what type of wood would be best suited ?

The idea is to place the set on a board that could be transferred easily between the floor and the top of a kids pool table that we have.

Thank you
    eigrod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

If you are living near Tallaght, go into The Square and go to a shop on the Top Level called "Gismo" and ask the staff. They are supposed to have a website, but it is not set up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    If you are living near Tallaght, go into The Square and go to a shop on the Top Level called "Gismo" and ask the staff. They are supposed to have a website, but it is not set up yet.

Thanks 5rtytry56. Might do that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I used 6mm ply and sealed it with a cheap paint that I also bought in woodies. Made a frame underneath with softwood battens screwed and glued and used strong aluminium legs that are sold individually at IKEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

If using using the board on its own, make sure to go for plywood and not MDF. Due to the cross laminating of the plywood, it will resist warping. MDF doesn't have this property.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You should also be aware of the health precautions if cutting or sanding MDF.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/faq-mdf.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement