Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False Bottom Boiler

Options
  • 26-01-2015 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Guys,

I did my first all grain batch on saturday, I bought one of the HBC mash kits.
    Def takes longer!
    But apart from that there was only one thing I had an issue with;
    I'm using an electric boiler (Burco) and the wort scorched at one point cutting the boiler out. I restarted and finished off the boil.

Anyway I'm wondering if filtering the wort from the mash tun into the boiler might be enough to prevent scorching, or if i should make a false bottom for the boiler?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

neoanto wrote: »
    Anyway I'm wondering if filtering the wort from the mash tun into the boiler might be enough to prevent scorching, or if i should make a false bottom for the boiler?

Where their grain husks in the wort?

As the mash should filter its self, draw off 2-5 litres slowly and add it back into the mash. The wort does not need to be crystal clear but free of grain husks

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭neoanto

Yea i did that.
    The first time i drew off a few liters slowly and poured it back into the mash tun until it was clear.
    It wasnt as clear the first time as when i did the batch sparge.
    Should i be aiming for the same clarity both times?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

neoanto wrote: »
    Yea i did that.
    The first time i drew off a few liters slowly and poured it back into the mash tun until it was clear.
    It wasnt as clear the first time as when i did the batch sparge.
    Should i be aiming for the same clarity both times?

It doesn't have to be clear , just no grain husks or other material.

Also make sure that the element is fully covered with wort before switching it on

Advertisement