Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate milk did not enhance skeletal muscle hypertrophy following training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

What am I going to do with all this Yahoo now? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Can we still drink it cos it tastes so good? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

AKW wrote: »
    What am I going to do with all this Yahoo now? :(

Search on it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

But but but...

10 cyclists say different...

...or 13 soccer players...

...or 9 cyclists over 3 days

Lots of other studies with small groups and limited testing reach spurious conclusions- par for the course with a lot of sports "science" unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

True, but I tend to listen to Asker :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

tunney wrote: »
    True, but I tend to listen to Asker :)

I drink a pint of chocolate milk, and a liter of Gatorade, after every workout, just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I drink a pint of chocolate milk, and a liter of Gatorade, after every workout, just to be sure.

You could also add in the low cal sports drinks as well for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Never used so I won't miss it. I dropped taking whey protein and the likes 2 years ago without any negative impact. I just try to eat better after workouts rather than taking supplements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Nah, I don't believe it. It's a conspiracy by chocolate milk haters....probably being spun by the white milk lobbyists in their white lab coats. According to this series of videos, skating star turned IronMan super stud is built with chocolate milk, and apparently chocolate milk is backed by science. Yeah, it's right there in that first video at the 28 second mark - science. !!! Nah, this is proof that the case of chocolate milk I purchased over the weekend is staying put! ;):)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

so if what the control group was given was a placebo, and no difference was seen, it could also suggests that the theory of the importance of nutrition directly after exercise is flawed. There was never meant to be anything magical about chocolate milk, it was just an easy way of getting the sugar/proteins that theory suggested helped. This study would suggest that is not correct.

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    so if what the control group was given was a placebo, and no difference was seen, it could also suggests that the theory of the importance of nutrition directly after exercise is flawed. There was never meant to be anything magical about chocolate milk, it was just an easy way of getting the sugar/proteins that theory suggested helped. This study would suggest that is not correct.

True, the whole "30 minute window" went a while ago.

True, the whole "30 minute window" went a while ago.

Lots of sources(even outside of the companies supplying products for this/those with a vested interest) still recommending the 30 minute concept.

Like anything to do with nutrition, you'll find something to back up what you want to believe.

mossym wrote: »
    Lots of sources(even outside of the companies supplying products for this/those with a vested interest) still recommending the 30 minute concept.

Like anything to do with nutrition, you'll find something to back up what you want to believe.

I found one article that said that red wine was as good as cardio for your heart.

I found one article that said that red wine was as good as cardio for your heart.

my extensive research into that area has so far produced no discernible indicators to support or reject the hypothesis. like any good researcher I've vowed to redouble my efforts and persist till i have concrete results on which i am prepared to stand, if i am still able.

I should add, i'm a very small test group. Appreciate anyone that wishes to join this quest for the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

btw what goes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Feic that, a cold chocolate recovery shake made with coconut milk is DA BOMB. I don't care if it doesn't do what it says on the tin. Its delish and rocks.

#haters

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Just going by the title, this study found that chocolate milk did not lead to increased muscle bulk in men doing weights training. But endurance athletes probably take chocolate milk to enhance recovery rather than increase muscle bulk, so I'm not sure how relevant it is to endurance athletes.

Whether or not chocolate milk enhances recovery is another question and probably depends on what is meant by recovery - being ready sooner or better prepared for the next workout?

More recently whether trying to enhance recovery is in fact something to be desired is being questioned. Allowing the body to adapt to the stresses of training itself may lead to a better response to training compared to using nutrition or supplements or ice or compression socks etc to enhance recovery. Allowing the body to deal with free radicals itself rather than adding antioxidants via nutrition/supplements might be better.

Just going by the title, this study found that chocolate milk did not lead to increased muscle bulk in men doing weights training. But endurance athletes probably take chocolate milk to enhance recovery rather than increase muscle bulk, so I'm not sure how relevant it is to endurance athletes.

Whether or not chocolate milk enhances recovery is another question and probably depends on what is meant by recovery - being ready sooner or better prepared for the next workout?

More recently whether trying to enhance recovery is in fact something to be desired is being questioned. Allowing the body to adapt to the stresses of training itself may lead to a better response to training compared to using nutrition or supplements or ice or compression socks etc to enhance recovery. Allowing the body to deal with free radicals itself rather than adding antioxidants via nutrition/supplements might be better.

My initial post was a tongue in check flippant comment designed to aggravate rather than inform. Larry has turned a thread with not much useful content around. The last paragraph is something that has become more and more accepted in science but not yet widespread in sports. Very very worth people reading and understanding. Reading similar led me to stop recommending a whole raft of "recovery" tools. As yes those tools do stop the discomfort after exercise but also inhibit the adaptations that the sessions would otherwise result in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

this is good stuff.
    i think the good thing tunny does with his posting of nutrition stuff is to make people aware how much sh..te there is out there and that people need to be more critical and actually read whats being said, it seems some people did not even read the study tunny had posted and what the result was.

to add to what you say Lary,
    I guess generally fair to say that as a rule over the thumb nutritional supplements should not be used unless there is a reason for it.
    and even then one wants to be careful. Most of the time its just a waste of money.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/research-finds-fish-oil-supplements-ineffective/6032820?fb_action_ids=10152535682405825&fb_action_types=og.likes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I know it's early in the year but this gets my vote for post of the year.
    It should be linked everytime someone looks for advice on supplements, detox's or the latest training fad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

What recommendations is there for recovery?
    Plenty of rest?
    Been trying for the last week to find out what recovery suppliments or protein may suit.
    I for 1 would certainly be interested in further reading if you can point me in a good direction Larry Brent or anyone.
    I'm 40 plus

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    Plenty of rest?
    Been trying for the last week to find out what recovery suppliments or protein may suit.
    I for 1 would certainly be interested in further reading if you can point me in a good direction Larry Brent or anyone.
    I'm 40 plus

1. Sleep.

2. Healthy diet.

Every case is different, but personally I wouldn't ever advise anyone to take supplements or protein powders - just put the effort into having a good healthy diet, not over eating.

Alex Hutchinson's blog is a good resource, with many articles on the limitations of supplements and how while vits and minerals in food form can have positive effects, when taken in pill form this is not often the case. http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness...ivitamins.html

He and also Steve Magness have written about allowing the body to adapt to stresses of training rather than trying to enhance recovery as I mentioned above. Magness has suggested that it might be good after some workouts to purposely not replenish so the body has to react to being in a depleted state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    Plenty of rest?
    I'm 40 plus[

that all depends on what you are recovering from.
    Over training, a single session. A long run ?
    If it's the first one then a lot of rest Eat right and keep hydrated.
    The other 2 eat within 30/45 min after the run. It doesn't have to be anything special turkey, ham, chicken sandwich with a cup of tea. You can't go wrong.
    protein shake on its own is not as good as a 2/1 3/1 carb protein mix.
    As for supplements keep your money in you pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

ceepo says
    "If it's the first one then a lot of rest Eat right and keep hydrated.
    The other 2 eat within 30/45 min after the run. It doesn't have to be anything special turkey, ham, chicken sandwich with a cup of tea. You can't go wrong.
    protein shake on its own is not as good as a 2/1 3/1 carb protein mix.
    As for supplements keep your money in you pocket"

Planning on doing Olympic distance races this year.
    While racing are gels and special drinks essential?
    I use high 5 tablets occasionally usually cause they flavour the water I use dilute most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 41 willow46

I used to use gels, bars, power aid you name it and then rolled into an MsC in Nutrition and got told ALL Sh….. stop wasting your money and make your own drinks and eat cleaner…
    Was a bit gutted to be honest but then looked harder into it and found its all marketing driven!!! So now i squeeze a lemon in my water, cut some homemade fruitcake and off i go…
    Just my opinion of course!!

Advertisement