Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone LOcked Forever ?

Options
  • 26-01-2015 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi

I have a brand new Samsung S5, that I got with a phone network. THis was about a year and a half ago. I paid some money towards it and signed a contract, I then cancelled the contract straight away because there was a problem. THey wouldn't take the phone back nor deal with me at all.

Anyway that's jus a little background, but I gave my husband the phone the other day he was going to use it. He is also with the same network. THey told him it was locked forever as it is marked as stolen.

So my question is whether or not this is possible, is this phone now useless or can it be unlocked? Sorry but I don't have a clue about these things but I did pay towards the phone so would like to use it or something

THanks in advance for the help

C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Your story sounds mad....did you pay out of the contract? Or how did you get out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭clionaricho

No I didn't pay out the contract , I cancelled it straight away, I cancelled my direct debit immediately and tried to deal with them but they wouldn't and they never really chased for money. THe story was just a bit of background but what I want to know is there a way of unlocking a phone that they have apparently marked as stolen

Thanks

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you didn't pay the full cost of the phone, they would have asked for it to be returned on closure of the contract. I find it hard to believe they never spoke to you about returning a €600 handset? How much did you pay?

Anyway, off topic. If they've blacklisted it, you can only contact them about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

No I didn't pay out the contract , I cancelled it straight away, I cancelled my direct debit immediately and tried to deal with them but they wouldn't and they never really chased for money. THe story was just a bit of background but what I want to know is there a way of unlocking a phone that they have apparently marked as stolen

Thanks

But it is stolen, you stole it.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭clionaricho

But it is stolen, you stole it.

THank you for your kind comment Gerard Keating but I did NOT steal it.

I was just giving a quick background to the phone rather than get it to every detail. Was just wondering if it is possible to lock a phone completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I was just giving a quick background to the phone rather than get it to every detail. Was just wondering if it is possible to lock a phone completely.

How many months of the contract did you fulfill. I imagine the original contract was 24 months or so. I have no idea why the network, would not take the phone back. Did you think you could give it back and walk away from the contract. Paying something doesn't mean a whole lot I'm afraid.

I you were selling a car and I gave you €100 and told you I would give you the rest next year you would tell me to go hop. Contact comreg to arbitrate the dispute perhaps. I can't see any circumstance, where you would be entitled to keep the phone however. You have told us you are not telling us the full story so we can only advise on the information you have given.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Did you pay for it in full?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭wonderboy76

Which network? Why on earth would they not want a new top of the range smart phone back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭GIMP

Hi

I have a brand new Samsung S5, that I got with a phone network. THis was about a year and a half ago.

C

S5 is only out about 11 months, this sounds suspect to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

When you purchase a Bill Pay phone, the network subsidised the purchase, if you break the contract, they want this subsidy back, effectively making you pay in full for the phone, if you do not pay, they lock the phone, since they now consider it "not paid for", which equates to stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

If you only had used a few month of the contract, simply returning the phone would leave the network at a loss. They would still be entitled to the difference between the resale value to them and the full manufacturers RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You did'nt pay for it, therefore you stole it. Or is this a big con you are spouting?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As above, you got the handset as the contract offset the value of it. Then you absconded with the handset.

Theyve marked it as stolen and all networks will automatically refuse to associate it with any tower. Only good for wifi now.

I hope the networks share this info so you never get a contract again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

ED E wrote: »
    As above, you got the handset as the contract offset the value of it. Then you absconded with the handset.

Theyve marked it as stolen and all networks will automatically refuse to associate it with any tower. Only good for wifi now.

I hope the networks share this info so you never get a contract again.

Possibly a little harsh- it seems here the OP tried to contact the network to return the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Possibly a little harsh- it seems here the OP tried to contact the network to return the phone

Yea she did, and the 18 months later came on here moaning that the phone she had stolen was locked. Nice try, lady:pac:.

Advertisement