Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015/2014 Triathlon Bikes Advice

Options
  • 26-01-2015 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Looking to get my first Triathlon bike in the next few weeks. Have about 2-3 grand to spend thanks to a nice work bonus and the bike to work scheme.

I'm not one to rush into spending that amount of money so being trying to do some research into whats the best bike I can get for my money. Finding it hard to find good review sites for the latest tri bikes on the market though. Bikeradar seems pretty poor for them and the triathlon magazine sites seem to only review the more expensive bikes. Could anyone recommend me a decent site for reviews?

Maybe someone on here could recommend me a tri bike either? I'm about 6.1 and 10st 11 if that's makes any difference :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

ive just been through this for a time trial bike (don't do triathlon) and its hard to get info. i only had a budget of 1500-2000 so i was very limited.
    i spoke with 1 guy who has a Canyon Speedmax AL with Reynold 50mm wheels and he highly recommended it... its aluminum but is supposed to be very good.
    I tried a Felt b16 carbon and it was nice but my lbs mechanic mentioned that the cables go down into the top tube and aren't the easiest to service and with the cable at that angle it would wear easier... the above is to be debated.
    and finally a Cervelo P2 11speed @ 2500 in my LBS would be the ideal bike but i didn't have the money.

ordered the canyon in the end and waiting for it to be delivered. the P2 would be a good one to go for as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

thekooman wrote: »
    ive just been through this for a time trial bike (don't do triathlon) and its hard to get info. i only had a budget of 1500-2000 so i was very limited.
    i spoke with 1 guy who has a Canyon Speedmax AL with Reynold 50mm wheels and he highly recommended it... its aluminum but is supposed to be very good.
    I tried a Felt b16 carbon and it was nice but my lbs mechanic mentioned that the cables go down into the top tube and aren't the easiest to service and with the cable at that angle it would wear easier... the above is to be debated.
    and finally a Cervelo P2 11speed @ 2500 in my LBS would be the ideal bike but i didn't have the money.

ordered the canyon in the end and waiting for it to be delivered. the P2 would be a good one to go for as well.

Thanks for the advice much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Looking to get my first Triathlon bike in the next few weeks. Have about 2-3 grand to spend thanks to a nice work bonus and the bike to work scheme.

I'm not one to rush into spending that amount of money so being trying to do some research into whats the best bike I can get for my money. Finding it hard to find good review sites for the latest tri bikes on the market though. Bikeradar seems pretty poor for them and the triathlon magazine sites seem to only review the more expensive bikes. Could anyone recommend me a decent site for reviews?

Maybe someone on here could recommend me a tri bike either? I'm about 6.1 and 10st 11 if that's makes any difference :/

With your budget my first port of call would be a P2. Great 2nd hand demand for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

ray what is the going rate for 2nd hand p2 s right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

peter kern wrote: »
    ray what is the going rate for 2nd hand p2 s right now?

Don't see many of them about. Spotted a 2008/2009 a couple of weeks back for around 1500, on adverts I think.

I know Chopper sold his 2006/7 for 1k last year. (And then regretted it a little afterwards)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

ray o wrote: »
    With your budget my first port of call would be a P2. Great 2nd hand demand for them too.

if i was dedicating my time to triathlon or ironman i definitely would have gone with a P2 and sold my racing bike... you can't go wrong with one and itll sell 2nd hand very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tom francy

thekooman wrote: »
    a Cervelo P2 11speed @ 2500 in my LBS .

Do you mind me asking what lbs has it for this price ? I need/want one. I can only find them for 3k everywhere

Advertisement