Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mavic Ksyrium Elite's not spinning freely

Options
  • 26-01-2015 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

I have a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels (with 11 speed Shimano Ultegra 6800 for what that’s worth), and I’ve noticed the rear wheel does not seem to spin freely and is very stiff. For example, when I have the bike on the work stand and I spin the rear wheel it stops almost immediately. There’s no brakes rubbing against it or anything.
    Is this down to the hub? Is there anything I can do to get it moving feely again?
    Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭foxer3640

Those wheels usually come with a little plastic spanner for tightening the bearings. Sounds to me like the bearing has been overtightened. Any bike shop that deals in mavic should be able to sort this out for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Give this a go, may sort it out:

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Thanks for that Brian

Borderfox wrote: »
    Thanks for that Brian

No bother. Just a note, I think the newer Mavic wheels don't need a 10mm Allen key to remove the axle but a 5mm on each side. Same basic principle though.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

Would a normal type lube do for where he uses the 'light mineral oil' on the free hub?

• Advertisement

Would a normal type lube do for where he uses the 'light mineral oil' on the free hub?

What do you mean by normal?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Had to clear the crud out of the pawls in my freehub a week or two ago. They were making a ferocious noise when free wheeling at speed (like a very large goat bleating!). I dismantled the wheel to get at the pawls. Cleaned off the dirt, and then applied a spray-on lithium based grease that had been recommended to me by a mechanic in a LBS. The grease was pretty lightweight, and I got it in a regular hardware shop. When I put the wheel back together I made the mistake of overtightening the bearing nuts which made the wheel stiff as you described. I just backed off the torque until the wheel spun freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

Thanks - I just came across this (http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Mavic_hub_How-To_4006.html) so will try and give it a go.
    By 'normal' lube I just mean any type of lube I have lying around, or is there a specific type that would be need/recomended?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i had a the freehub wobbling a bit so replaced the white nylon bushing with a bearing (guy in usa on ebay) which certainly made it feel like it runs better

Advertisement