Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advent GX9000 Powering up but nothing else

Options
  • 26-01-2015 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi All,
    A mate of mine asked to have a look at his computer for him. Its a Advent GX9000 gaming machine. It has an SLI motherboard with two ASUS dual output video cards. It has a huge spec and was quite a serious machine in its day.

When I turn it on all the fans come on and a red and a blue light on the front. The two dvd drives start spinning as if they are trying to load something up but there is no media in the drives. The hard drive spins up. There is no image displayed on any of the outputs. I swapped the video cards around still no good. There is a small card between the video cards that selects either single or dual video cards, changing this made no difference. I took out the hard drive and put it into another machine and I can access the drive and it seems ok. Popped in another drive in to the machine and it is still doing as above.

Would it be possible that the motherboard, memory, video cards and or PSU are damaged? They are inexpensive to replace as they are old but would it be worth it.
    Thank you for any help offered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Any POST? (beeps on startup)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Pentium D system with 2GB DDR2 and Geforce 6600's... It's worth maybe €70 at most. Wouldn't meet minimum specs for almost any current game.

Depending on what the PC is used for.... As long as the HDD is fine, the rest of it may not be worth bothering with.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

Noxin wrote: »
    Any POST? (beeps on startup)

No. Just the DVD drives and the HD spinning up and a red and blue light next to the power button.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try booting with one RAM module, then the other if that fails. The RAM may be ok even and just needed re-seating. No harm popping out the bios battery for a few mins. could be corrupt bios settings either.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You would get a PC twice as fast for about 60 euro second hand, honestly. Even for parts the machine is almost value-less, unless you went down the road of a fiver per video card, fiver for the processor, so on and so forth. Even fully working it would only have been worth 50-60 euro.

If the drives OK and you can't find an obvious problem (like bad ram, etc), I would just forget about it. Superior Core 2 based- Dell and Compaq machines can be bought on adverts or ebay for the 50-60 euro mark usually and are perfect for web browsing. Realistically if he has been using a Pentium D until now, he probably isn't doing anything else anyway and such a machine would actually be a huge improvement.

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Try booting with one RAM module, then the other if that fails. The RAM may be ok even and just needed re-seating. No harm popping out the bios battery for a few mins. could be corrupt bios settings either.

Nick

Thanks yoyo, tried this and still no joy.

You would get a PC twice as fast for about 60 euro second hand, honestly. Even for parts the machine is almost value-less, unless you went down the road of a fiver per video card, fiver for the processor, so on and so forth. Even fully working it would only have been worth 50-60 euro.

If the drives OK and you can't find an obvious problem (like bad ram, etc), I would just forget about it. Superior Core 2 based- Dell and Compaq machines can be bought on adverts or ebay for the 50-60 euro mark usually and are perfect for web browsing. Realistically if he has been using a Pentium D until now, he probably isn't doing anything else anyway and such a machine would actually be a huge improvement.

Yeah, I know you are right. I just hate letting it best me. Thanks for all yer help folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Have you tried using a different HDD controller on the Board, I've had this issue in the past with 3 different Advent PC's/Laptops where it was a faulty controller

21/25

Advertisement