Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self storage recommendation

Options
  • 26-01-2015 2:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking for a recommendation for self storage around the Dublin area.

Will be storing the following items

2 couches
    2 chest of drawers
    washing machine
    book shelf

So awkward enough sizes.
    Would be storing for about 6 months.
    I would not need to be accessing the items in storage, just put them in and come back again in 6 months ( well maybe a check in every now and then : ))

any recommendations for my particular case and item bulkiness ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I used UStoreIt a few years ago and was very happy with them. Their customer services was very good too. They explained all the rate plans and packages and worked out the best one for my needs and for what I was storing. I needed to extend it by a couple of months, but didn't know for how long exactly. They let me keep my cheap 6 month rate & just call them up every month and pay for another month over the phone. When I picked up my stuff after 3 1/2 months, they refunded back me back the half months rental that I had prepaid, when they really didn't have to.

They sell storage units that range from the size of a small cupboard, to an average size garage. So you shouldn't have any trouble fitting your stuff into one of their larger 'garage' size units. Their office was only open during office hours, so if you needed to transact any business with them, you had to do it then. But you could get access to your locker after hours, as they gave you the passcode to the door of the storage facility. I used the one in Finglas. You can see their building if you are driving between the Finglas & Ballymun exits on the M50. It's massive.

http://www.ustoreit.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I also used U Store It in Finglas and found them very helpful and flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I used elephant storage in tallaght. No problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I used UStoreIt a few years ago and was very happy with them. Their customer services was very good too. They explained all the rate plans and packages and worked out the best one for my needs and for what I was storing. I needed to extend it by a couple of months, but didn't know for how long exactly. They let me keep my cheap 6 month rate & just call them up every month and pay for another month over the phone. When I picked up my stuff after 3 1/2 months, they refunded back me back the half months rental that I had prepaid, when they really didn't have to.

They sell storage units that range from the size of a small cupboard, to an average size garage. So you shouldn't have any trouble fitting your stuff into one of their larger 'garage' size units. Their office was only open during office hours, so if you needed to transact any business with them, you had to do it then. But you could get access to your locker after hours, as they gave you the passcode to the door of the storage facility. I used the one in Finglas. You can see their building if you are driving between the Finglas & Ballymun exits on the M50. It's massive.

http://www.ustoreit.ie/

thanks. as regards costs, what were they like.

Can't remember exactly. It's been about 3 years since I used them & I am sure that their rates have changed since then. Give them a ring, or click on the link above. Also, I don't think that VAT is included in the initial per month quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

One thing to check is the opening hours. You might want late or weekend access.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

UStoreIT sometimes have three months for the price of two offers.
    A couple of months ago, the price was 186 euro (including VAT) per month for a 50 sq. ft. unit.
    They will sell you a lock if you don't have one.

im just wondering for my scenario is there a cheaper solution, Like I don't want to access it everyday or even every week.

I think I read somewhere that furniture removal companies would have cheaper solutions or maybe im talking b0llox :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We recently used Storage World on the South Circular Rd for about 9 months. We got a good offer for the first 6 months, but the prices went up (fairly substantially after that). We were renting a small unit (not really sofa sized) and i think it started at approx €40/50 per month.

Get a tour of the facility first and ask their advice on which unit to select. Check opening hours and security arrangements.

dudara wrote: »
    We recently used Storage World on the South Circular Rd for about 9 months. We got a good offer for the first 6 months, but the prices went up (fairly substantially after that). We were renting a small unit (not really sofa sized) and i think it started at approx €40/50 per month.

Get a tour of the facility first and ask their advice on which unit to select. Check opening hours and security arrangements.

Thanks, the prices for these things are saucy enough.

it would be nearly cheaper to bring your stuff down the country and store them there :)
    The prices for self storage down the country seem a lot cheaper, obviously to do with rent etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Thanks, the prices for these things are saucy enough.

it would be nearly cheaper to bring your stuff down the country and store them there :)
    The prices for self storage down the country seem a lot cheaper, obviously to do with rent etc

But you are looking at losing a day there and backI(twice). Plus the cost of driving there and back twice. Most of the "savings" you make will be eliminated.

hfallada wrote: »
    But you are looking at losing a day there and backI(twice). Plus the cost of driving there and back twice. Most of the "savings" you make will be eliminated.

yeah. fair enough points

My cousin used a storage facility near Shannon Airport and got much better rates than in Dublin. The only problem was they had strict 9-5 Mon-Fri hours and were only open 10-2 on Saturdays. They had no after hours access and were closed on Sundays. That would be fine if you didn't need much access to your stuff. But it was a total pain if you were trying to access the facility after work, or on weekends. So double check that kind of thing. Don't presume that they are all alike. They aren't.

Advertisement