Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED spotlights

Options
  • 26-01-2015 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking to replace my GU10 spotlights with LED.

Anyone know of any offers on. Based in Galway

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you have anyone going up to Dublin, IKEAs are the best I've found at their price point by some margin. Also have a relatively decent colour profile.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/40288052/

They have 200 lumens ones for a fiver but I don't see the point. A good halogen will be about 500 lumens - I've seen 480 claimed; the crate of B&Qs finest I have in my work drawer says they're 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Phantom99 wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking to replace my GU10 spotlights with LED.

Anyone know of any offers on. Based in Galway

Thanks

There came one's in Aldi last week & Lidl this week as there was a lot of them in, have a look at the catalogs, as i was looking for a 7watt (candlelight)

& afaik the energy saving lights are 7w = 35, but some of them were like 3w = 24w & others didnt have any wattage as on the packaging had E14 or E27 or E numbers, maybe someone can shed light on that, if you'll excuse the pun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There came one's in Aldi last week & Lidl this week as there was a lot of them in, have a look at the catalogs, as i was looking for a 7watt (candlelight)

& afaik the energy saving lights are 7w = 35, but some of them were like 3w = 24w & others didnt have any wattage as on the packaging had E14 or E27 or E numbers, maybe someone can shed light on that, if you'll excuse the pun ;)

Those comparasions are wrong. A 4w philips master was the equivalent of 40w a few years back. I'd say that they are better now. You really need to look at lumens as watts are not a measure of light output

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bootser

Hi, try future led.ie, I got a load of them last year for my kitchen and bathroom's. 5watt, the ones in the kitchen are excellent for light and color the ones I put in the bathrooms are a bit colder looking but probably only because they are much smaller rooms? Having said that, I think they are by far the best I've tried, and I've tried a few!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

E14 E27 = edison screw sizes, not relevant to power usage, light output or even GU10 sockets as they're completely different types of bulbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 jimlynch123

Hi i have used this site for 2 lots of led,s for my kitchen and bedrooms found them good to deal with,1st order sent was an error around Xmas last year but received new and correct order within days also told to hold onto bulbs sent in error,,(yaaa meee),,these are 1s i used in my kitchen as i wanted good bright lighting there,,not keen on cool white for kitchen area,,link below,,hope this helps

lightrabbit.ie/spiral-4-5-watt-gu10-cob-led-spotlight-50w-equivalent.html

Had 10 @ 50 watt halogen in kitchen = 500 watt,,,,,,now 10 @ 5 watt led = 50 watt..........happy out with purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

I've currently got 8x50W GU10 Halogon bulbs(beam angle 36 degrees) in my kitchen light fittings and want to swop them for LED bulbs. I was thinking of changing them for 5W Warm light LEDs(would this be overkill as I have 8 of them? Would 4w be sufficient) but have no idea of the number of lumens per bulb needed for a kitchen. They don't need to be dimmable. Any advice appreciated thanks.

Hi I used these in my kitchen,,Spiral - 5 Watt GU10 COB LED Bulb,, bought them on LightRabbit site needed 10 in total,,had 50 watt halogen which was 500 watts now use only 50 watts for all 10,have them connected in such a way that i can have on all 10 lights on if needed or else 6 or 4 at a time depended on amount of light needed.

I went for natural white which they say is a more clinical light in the kitchen and don't regret it,we are very pleased with the brightness better then the halogen bulbs we had especially in kitchen,,i suppose it depends on the person really and we used warm white which is easier on the eyes in bedrooms and sitting room.

Hope this is of some help to you

@ jimlynch123 thanks for that, it's great help! Are these the ones you got here?

yes there the 1s we got and found them better and brighter then halogen we had up,,Again i think everyone has their own taste as to what suits then,but these worked for us,Glad can be of some help to you,,same as lot of answers helped me also when trying to make up my mind

• Advertisement

yes there the 1s we got and found them better and brighter then halogen we had up,,Again i think everyone has their own taste as to what suits then,but these worked for us,Glad can be of some help to you,,same as lot of answers helped me also when trying to make up my mind

Cheers mate, appreciate that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kman123!

Is LED lighting far more cost efficient than clf for example?
    I'm trying to find out the cost benefits of LED over CFL in relation to electricity and maintenance.
    Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

eurosales in Sandyford are very good, I got 13 osram 5.5W at they are actually brighter than the old 50w halogen that they replaced. They are dimmable also. I have noticed that tesco from time to time do good offers on LED bulbs...

Advertisement