Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

map my run apps

Options
  • 26-01-2015 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭

Can a map my run app be tampered with....have a mate who is a bluffer and keeps putting up stuff such as this...Can he make up this carp on his app or am I just a unbelieving bolliccccs

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You can do it on a bike or in a car, or on some apps (not sure about map my run) you can "Draw" the route on a map and upload it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Can a map my run app be tampered with....have a mate who is a bluffer and keeps putting up stuff such as this...Can he make up this carp on his app or am I just a unbelieving bolliccccs

Yea your mate is it UM, sure :)

You gonna start adding map my run screen shots to your logs matrix code!!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ultraman1 wrote: »

Yes, it's reasonably straightforward to create a fake GPS track.

Why one would want to do that is a different matter. A 4:37 50k is hardly the stuff of dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Join him on his next 50k run and you'll soon find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

traprunner wrote: »
    Join him on his next 50k run and you'll soon find out.

Cudnt stik d sap for dat long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

A 4:37 50k is hardly the stuff of dreams.

Ahem.... It would be the stuff of my dreams atm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

First thought was bike or car, but riding a bike at a really slow speed? I normally run at about 12km/h bike is upwards of 25km/h. I'd find it hard to cycle at that slow a pace.
    I noticed there's no calories burnt, surely the app would have calculated that?

Just out of curiosity and hopefully it's ok to ask but how do you trick a GPS? If it's not, mods feel free to delete the that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Gillo wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity and hopefully it's ok to ask but how do you trick a GPS? If it's not, mods feel free to delete the that question.
    Actually tricking a GPS (i.e. having false signals arriving into the device) would be pretty difficult. However, modifying a GPS file that's already created (or creating one from scratch) is trivial. A GPS file is essentially just a long list of lines with 3 items on each line: Latitude, longitude and time. E.g.:
    • At 12:00:00, location was (53.344103999999990000,-6.267493699999932000)
    • At 12:00:01, location was (53.344103999999991000,-6.267493699999932000)
    • At 12:00:02, location was (53.344103999999992000,-6.267493699999932000)
    • etc. etc.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Gillo wrote: »

Three's nothing illegal about that question.

On a basic level those files just note a location and timestamp (plus any additional information like HR or power or anything else, but that's beside the point).

GPX is an xml format, it is human readable and rather trivial in its structure. You can use any text editor to create or change one.

You can either handcraft a file with loads of waypoints in there or you can use any one of dozens of existing tools that help you with that. It's fiddly but technically it's very straightforward.

Again, why anyone would want to do that is a different matter. I sure would prefer to run 50k than to fiddle around with a file until it looks believable.

P.S. Editing gps tracks can actually be handy at certain times, e.g. if you forgot to press the stop button after a race and desperately want your "real" race data.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

P.S. Editing gps tracks can actually be handy at certain times, e.g. if you forgot to press the stop button after a race and desperately want your "real" race data.

I use a Polar RCX5, the GPS can take a few minutes to get a signal or fix, normally it's not a problem but hanging around in this weather waiting for it; that could actually be handy. Thanks I was curious how you'd manage to change it. I might give it a try and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

Not that I condone this sort of thing, but here's a website that will do it.

http://www.digitalepo.com/

R

Advertisement