Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick cheque question

Options
  • 26-01-2015 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Hi, i want to send a few euro's to a relation in the United States. Does anyone know if i can send a normal Ulsterbank personal cheque? Will they cash it for them ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you sent someone in the US a cheque drawn on an Irish bank, they'd have no end of trouble cashing it, may even hit a brick wall, especially if it's in Euros or anything other than dollars. A piece of paper drawn on a bank outside the US will probably cost a lot of money to process and may take weeks to clear, it's just not worth it.

Your best bet is to ask your own bank for the most efficient way to do it, it varies from bank to bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Hi, i want to send a few euro's to a relation in the United States. Does anyone know if i can send a normal Ulsterbank personal cheque? Will they cash it for them ok?

Head to your local branch and get a USD Draft. It will be non cashable but they can lodge it. There would be no non USD based chqs that could be cashed without being run through an account. Draft will cost you 3.81.... i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

Micky 32 wrote: »

Can you not transfer direct to their account or even paypal it to them its much safer and quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

I sent a cheque to my sister in U.S she tore it up, said the bank wanted too much to cash it, it was ages ago, but as far as I remember it was almost $30, and cheque was for E100,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

What about Western Union or Moneygram.

It may cost a few euro, but its easy and quick with minimum fuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

What about Western Union or Moneygram.

It may cost a few euro, but its easy and quick with minimum fuss.

Would'nt touch W.U with a bargepole. Too many bad reports about them floating around. And then there's those pesky Nigerian princes who ask you to use it;).

Would'nt touch W.U with a bargepole. Too many bad reports about them floating around. And then there's those pesky Nigerian princes who ask you to use it;).

Completely wrong idea there buddy.

The OP wants to send money to a relative. It is so simple and safe, you would have no problem at all.

The scam issue is when people want to send money to you. This is completely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Completely wrong idea there buddy.

The OP wants to send money to a relative. It is so simple and safe, you would have no problem at all.

The scam issue is when people want to send money to you. This is completely different.

Simple and safe but probably extortionate.

Currencyfair transferwise etc will save alot of money.

Failing that, send a postoffice fx card by registered post.

edit:I have used WU a few times, and they are very safe, if thats the main concern

dobsdave wrote: »
    Simple and safe but probably extortionate.

Currencyfair transferwise etc will save alot of money.

Failing that, send a postoffice fx card by registered post.

edit:I have used WU a few times, and they are very safe, if thats the main concern

I wouldnt call it extortionate. It quick and easy but you have to pay for it. If you were stuck somewhere in the world, they can have money to you in ten minutes. The OP is trying to send a small amount to a relative in the states. This would be ideal, no waiting for the post, no wondering if the cheque has to clear.....
    If you send that at 9am, its there about 9.05am.

I used to be an agent for one of the transfer companies, thats how I know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

• Advertisement
Advertisement