Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Gardens

• 26-01-2015 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭

For a project about Wicklow gardens and garden culture I'm doing some research and would like to ask the audience for some further help. I've already been to the "big ones" like Powerscourts and Mount Usher in recent years and found the lovely overview from wicklowgardens.com but I'm wondering if there are some more places to be mentioned. Could also be a small private but special thing (like a private collection of a genus) or a topic based landscaped garden (like Japanese eg). Focusing on Wicklow excluding Dublin is a must!

Would appreciate any help! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

How about The National Botanic Gardens in Kilmacurragh? Based just outside Rathdrum.

Here is the website for it: http://www.botanicgardens.ie/kilmac/kilmhome.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

RosieJoe wrote: »
    How about The National Botanic Gardens in Kilmacurragh? Based just outside Rathdrum.

Thanks! It's included at wicklowgardens.com so already on my to do ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The Indian Sculpture Park near Roundwood.

http://www.victoriasway.eu/

There's also apparently some lovely gardens at Glendalough House in Annamoe (http://www.glendaloughhouse.ie/) but they're not open to the general public, only for organised events ... weddings etc.

Also, depending on your definition of a garden ... what about Russborough House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

Alun wrote: »
    The Indian Sculpture Park near Roundwood.

Good job!

There's also apparently some lovely gardens at Glendalough House in Annamoe but they're not open to the general public, only for organised events ... weddings etc.

That's the help I'm looking for. Great input, thanks a million!

Also, depending on your definition of a garden ... what about Russborough House?

I'd say it's nearly everything artificial and maintained, but should bring something more than Russborough House which is actually just the house.

Niall_daaS wrote: »
    I'd say it's nearly everything artificial and maintained, but should bring something more than Russborough House which is actually just the house.
    There's a hedge maze there I think, but yes, not much more that would normally be classed as a garden as such.

Having said that, I don't know much about gardens attached to large houses here in Ireland but in England the gardens of many of the well known stately homes like Chatsworth, although appearing completely natural, are almost all completely artificial and created by man. If they have a formal garden with shrubs, flowers etc. then they're generally quite small in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

You should look up heritageweek.ie, or maybe contact them for a list of last years entrants - they have a number of categories that may include some private gardens that dont otherwise appear on lists or websites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Huntingbrook garden and June blakes gardens are just outside of Blessington and very lovely.

homer911 wrote: »
    You should look up heritageweek.ie, or maybe contact them for a list of last years entrants - they have a number of categories that may include some private gardens that dont otherwise appear on lists or websites

Very good! Thank you so much!

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Huntingbrook garden and June blakes gardens are just outside of Blessington and very lovely.

June Blake's is listed on wicklowgardens.com. Huntingbrook is a great advice! Thank you very much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Worth having a look at the Greenane Maze there used to be nice Garden walks down there, but haven't been in a couple of years

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Charleville in Enniskerry. Only open at certain times during the year. Spectacular gardens

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Charleville in Enniskerry. Only open at certain times during the year. Spectacular gardens

This sounds very interesting. It's closed to the public isn't it? It's hard to find 1st information especially contact. Got a phone number from a website as a start. Do you know any other contact?

uch wrote: »
    Worth having a look at the Greenane Maze there used to be nice Garden walks down there, but haven't been in a couple of years

Thanks! The Maze sounds interesting and worth a visit!

This sounds very interesting. It's closed to the public isn't it? It's hard to find 1st information especially contact. Got a phone number from a website as a start. Do you know any other contact?
    Charleville is open to the public on certain days/half days during the summer.
    It is a condition to avail of particular tax exemptions that it must be open to the public for so many days per year. It is well worth a visit, it is a living garden/farm owned by Ken Rohan who lives there and has 6 gardeners tending the immaculate gardens. There is a plaque at trhe gates which may well have the dates of opening.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Charleville is open to the public on certain days/half days during the summer.
    It is a condition to avail of particular tax exemptions that it must be open to the public for so many days per year. It is well worth a visit, it is a living garden/farm owned by Ken Rohan who lives there and has 6 gardeners tending the immaculate gardens. There is a plaque at trhe gates which may well have the dates of opening.

Brilliant, will have to follow this!

• Advertisement

9571890898_9d0da93784_c.jpgCharleville Gardens (25) by pixbyjohn, on Flickr
    Click on photo to show more photos in my flickr stream

This is wonderful. Did you take the pictures in one shot? If so when was it? I'd say late summer?

This is wonderful. Did you take the pictures in one shot? If so when was it? I'd say late summer?

Thank you
    Photos taken 22nd August 2013. Yes 1 shot photo, more on my flickr photostream.

Advertisement