Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does raw cacao powder have an expiry date?

Options
  • 26-01-2015 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I found a bag of expensive raw cacao powder that I bought in 2012 and banished to the back of the pantry..
    Just opened it up there, it was vacum packed..it doesn't smell off.
    I wonder does it expire??!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

<mod hat on>

Just a reminder - no comments or discussion on food safety here. If you'd like to discuss whether the cacao powder still tastes the same or will work as it should in recipes go ahead but no discussion at all at all on whether it is safe or not to consume.

</mod hat off>

I tend to use tiny amounts of cocoa so any I've bought has been in my press for years and still works as it should when cooked with.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

I've heard its fine to use within three years, also seen it can be used up to 2 years after expiration date. In any case do not use it if there is any discoloration, mould formation or change in odor as it can pose health risks.

If it looks and smells fine and youve only just opened the seal then I'd say its good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

rustyzip wrote: »
    I found a bag of expensive raw cacao powder that I bought in 2012 and banished to the back of the pantry..
    Just opened it up there, it was vacum packed..it doesn't smell off.
    I wonder does it expire??!

No, dry products like that are labelled 'best before' which is a recommendation - the manufacturer is saying that the product's quality will not be impaired before a given date. The low water activity severely limits the capacity for any kind of spoilage growth.

"Use by" is an instruction used on high risk ready to eat products - you're being told to eat the thing by the specified date!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Thanks, will try and use it up pronto :)
    Sorry mod!

Advertisement