Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can you identify this car please

Options
  • 26-01-2015 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭

Thinking it's a Corrolla but not 100%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Reg is TDI 360

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Yep looks like a Sunny

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Datsun 120Y saloon IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

That's A Datsun 120Y as mentioned above, famous for it's abilities to rust away before your very eyes:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Could be a 140j too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Could be a 140j too

120Y deffo, 140J never sold here until the next model (Violet)

120Y (Sunny) http://carslist-db.com/page/datsun-120y/default.html

http://carslist-db.com/photo/datsun-120y/08/default.html

140J (Violet) http://carslist-db.com/page/datsun-140j-violet/default.html

Yep that's it thanks. Its such a shame that number plate snobbery took over in 87 and all these cars were sent to the scrapyard.

I think in the case of the datto's it was more the fault of tinworm than snobbery

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

Capri wrote: »

there were plenty of 140j up around north east so must have been sold here or possibly imported?
    i remember one bloke buying a brand new one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I think in the case of the datto's it was more the fault of tinworm than snobbery

I know Nissan Ireland actually bought back all the 100A's they could find just to save their reputation :o

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Looks like a bettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Capri wrote: »
    I know Nissan Ireland actually bought back all the 100A's they could find just to save their reputation :o
    I remember Toyota bought back the Starlets but never knew Nissan did the same with the 100A.
    Both jap makes were rust magnets in the 70's and early 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

i think if you listened closely you could hear them rust

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

Its a Datsun Sunny 120Y for sure, owned a jdm sunny excellent for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

red sean wrote: »
    I remember Toyota bought back the Starlets but never knew Nissan did the same with the 100A.
    Both jap makes were rust magnets in the 70's and early 80's.

The Kp60 series Starlets were recalled(in the mid 90s I think) because the rear trailing arm hangers rotted out of the floors on some cars. Apparently the metallic painted cars were less susceptible to this.
    To the best of my knowledge there was no recall on 100As, they just all rotted away. Except the few in my shed.

Dont suppose one of those is a red 100a f2, that you might be willin to part with some time i the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My dad had one of those back in the day. Think it was terminally rusted within 5 years.

Dont suppose one of those is a red 100a f2, that you might be willin to part with some time i the summer?

No red FII,only a ripped up yellow one.
    Red E10 there alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

As several people have said, its a 120Y, we had one ....704 NZC, green, 1978ish. Rusted alright but a fabulously reliable car. Ours had over 230,000 miles on it when we sold it, it was still going strong a few years later, last time I saw it was around 1988 at a football match in Roscommon.

That pic is taken in Strokestown I think. TDI reg is late 70's Co. Roscommon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Nissan bought up Datsun Cherry's in the late 80's/early 90's. I know this for sure as my father sold a Cherry to a guy who was quietly going around buying them up, towing them to Nissan HQ in Dublin (using a A-Frame), and making a nice profit for his 'trouble'!

Red Kev wrote: »
    As several people have said, its a 120Y, we had one ....704 NZC, green, 1978ish. Rusted alright but a fabulously reliable car. Ours had over 230,000 miles on it when we sold it, it was still going strong a few years later, last time I saw it was around 1988 at a football match in Roscommon.

That pic is taken in Strokestown I think. TDI reg is late 70's Co. Roscommon.

Yes it was in Strokestown on an episode of Rte Hands.

No red FII,only a ripped up yellow one.
    Red E10 there alright.

What sort of state is the yellow one in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 relayer1001

Definitely 120Y 1171cc
    Still see the odd one here in England
    The problem was they were made for sunny climates and lacked any rustproofing including wax oil into the cavities
    This was sometimes done afterwards by names such as Ziebert,Dinitrol or Endrust
    The tell tale signs were extra grommets in the doors and maybe on door shuts
    Also traditional black underseal
    Basic common sense really
    The post that says that Datsun Cherrys were recalled under a scrap page scheme is incorrect and it was Toyota Starlets RWD that were recalled
    Have a great day

What sort of state is the yellow one in?

Needs roof gutters and other welding. Is partially dismantled.

Is it a 2 door?

I might be interested later in the year

Advertisement