Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roman Reigns Mega (push) Thread! *SPOILERS*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

That's a crazy interview to give if you're trying to get the fans onside. It could be a big work leading to a heel turn, give him some nuclear heat with the smarks first then the casual fan. Have Brock as a face then if he's sticking around after Mania as that's the way it seems to be going. I'm probably giving WWE too much credit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

rovert wrote: »
    Anyway this is probably the best analysis of the Reigns situation I've heard this week:

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2015/01/29/royal-rumble-reaction-roman-reigns-njpw-on-axs-more/
    Gave this a listen, it really is. I'd say Reigns has more upside than I've ever seen from Lashley (even his look wasn't great, something weird about his face).

The stuff they bring up about his battle against genetics was interesting to me though, isn't the reason he hasn't had his outfit reduced to the Randy Orton a lot to do with the Samoan physique? Even Rock, who's only half Samoan, wound up getting surgery due to some of that stuff, didn't he? Is Vince gonna cool down on him hugely if he can't maintain the look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Even Rock, who's only half Samoan, wound up getting surgery due to some of that stuff, didn't he?

Gynecomastia I believe. He had breast reduction surgery or whatever it is called around early 1999 when he wrestled in a tracksuit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Ageyev wrote: »
    Gynecomastia I believe. He had breast reduction surgery or whatever it is called around early 1999 when he wrestled in a tracksuit.

That was a curious situation as gyno is an issue with Samoans but it is also an issues with steroid users. In the bodybuilding circles it is called "bitched tits".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Can't remember the last time the WWE champ was a guy who wrestled with his torso covered. RVD in 2006 I guess maybe but he only wore a singlet thing. Before that maybe Undertaker in 2002.

As long as he spends half of every day lifting weights and his arms look strong as f*ck, they can cover up a flabby gut, but focusing so heavily on that side of things is gonna leave him no time to work on stamina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

He gasses out so fast too. He definitely has massive cardio issues when it comes to in ring work.

Yet another reason this monster push makes zero ****ing sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Moneymaker wrote: »
    He gasses out so fast too. He definitely has massive cardio issues when it comes to in ring work.

Yet another reason this monster push makes zero ****ing sense.

I agree with that too just like when Stone Cold said he took a nap in the corner after coming in strong intially in the Rumble.

Not related at all but speaking of gassing out, it just reminds me of the Ultimate Warrior legging it out to the ring from the dressing room and shaking the ropes then being totally gassed! :pac: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭briany

Roman's been giving some promos of late that seem tailored to raise the ire of the IWC. Personally, I don't think he could lack the self-awareness to not realise that these kind of quotes make him come off like a huge entitled-sounding dick.

from http://www.sportsworldnews.com/articles/28976/20150202/roman-reigns-booed-royal-rumble-winner-discusses-getting-a-ton-of-criticism-and-dealing-with-it-video.htm
    "The majority of critics are people who have no clue what they're talking about, been in a wrestling ring, been a public speaker, and wouldn't even lock up with me. They would have no clue what to do. So, for them to critique or ever say anything about any performer is asinine and just blows my mind."

He added: "My goal is hopefully make everyone happy and be satisfied with the product that I've created. People don't realize is I created a product - a Superman punch - and taken a spear and made it my own. There's a lot of things that I've done that I've created, so there's a lot of opinions that I have that I'm not going to budge on."

I think all involved parties know what they're doing here. They ARE trying to create a Cena 2.0 insomuch as a guy who little kids like but is HATED by the older smarks. Beyond Cena, even. By the time this run hits it's height we could be hearing reports of pimply superfans barring Roman's exit from from arenas throughout the US. At least I hope so. :P

But it would be nice to see any performer generate that real 'we wanna kill you' type heat. It's so exceedingly rare nowadays that p*ssing off the IWC en masse seems to be the best bet. Some old school John Cena at One Night Stand heat. I'd love to see a sustained run like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Not that I am into this sort of think, but Romans Face, and the definition of his arms, shoulders do not suggest he would have any issues he needs to hide under that jacket.

Wearing the Shield Gear, keeping the music and entrance were all to make him look good, like the big deal coming out of that group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,978 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He needs to stop coming to ring through the crowd.

You have to wonder have they changed their mind about him now.

I think they are a bit undecided and could go either way about him main eventing Wrestlemania.

Saw this online to back up my case! (if its true!) ;)
    Roman Reigns' loss to Big Show on last night's WWE RAW in Denver may have been his first televised singles loss by pinfall in WWE.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

He lost that match due to outside interference and to put his WM main event in jeopardy.

I GUARANTEE you Reigns is Main eventing Wrestlemania no matter how much people don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Loughc wrote: »
    He lost that match due to outside interference and to put his WM main event in jeopardy.

I GUARANTEE you Reigns is Main eventing Wrestlemania no matter how much people don't like it.

But the loss itself is still noteworthy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

KingJamsie wrote: »
    But the loss itself is still noteworthy

It only happened to cause doubt if he will win at Fast Lane. spoiler he will ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

WWE Fastlane spoiler.
    LOLREIGNSWINS

Is anyone ready to face Lesnar and take the belt? It doesn't look like it. There's no one on that roster who's a believably credible threat to him. There's people like Bryan who could have a much better match with the guy, but no one who seems badass enough to carry the torch if Lesnar is indeed leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bryan is absolutely ready to carry the torch. The only problem really there is that Bryan v Lesnar is a little far-fetched, but if you can pull that one off, then I'm super excited at the notion of a Bryan v Rollins program, him working with Cena again, him v Rusev, him v Ambrose, him v Ziggler.

One positive of him getting injured last year is that now there are alot of things that would have happened last year, that are still available and fresh to happen between now and next Wrestlemania.

Bryan is also a good enough wrestler to make stars of up and coming heels through the quality of their feuds/matches. You can't say the same about Roman Reigns. The guy is so green that every feud/match he is in has to be about making him look good.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    Is anyone ready to face Lesnar and take the belt? It doesn't look like it. There's no one on that roster who's a believably credible threat to him. There's people like Bryan who could have a much better match with the guy, but no one who seems badass enough to carry the torch if Lesnar is indeed leaving.

Rusev at points last year was hot enough to do business with Lesnar as a threat. You know the nose to nose poster/visual thing.

Rusev at points last year was hot enough to do business with Lesnar as a threat. You know the nose to nose poster/visual thing.

All the more reason why his feud with Cena needs to conclude with him going over clean. This is absolutely a year also where there needs to be a King of the Ring event that paves the road to Summerslam.

CSF wrote: »
    Bryan is absolutely ready to carry the torch. The only problem really there is that Bryan v Lesnar is a little far-fetched, but if you can pull that one off, then I'm super excited at the notion of a Bryan v Rollins program, him working with Cena again, him v Rusev, him v Ambrose, him v Ziggler.

One positive of him getting injured last year is that now there are alot of things that would have happened last year, that are still available and fresh to happen between now and next Wrestlemania.

Bryan is also a good enough wrestler to make stars of up and coming heels through the quality of their feuds/matches. You can't say the same about Roman Reigns. The guy is so green that every feud/match he is in has to be about making him look good.

Bryan is ready in that he'll be a popular champion but it doesn't look like an even fight. Lesnar looks like he could mollify Bryan with his bare hands, no interference needed. That coupled with the lingering doubts around Bryan's neck makes it seem like a Bryan victory would be of the 'plucky underdog' type. OK, but it's the same story as last year which wouldn't be so bad, except the guy Bryan would be facing is riding a groundswell of support of his own, largely based on his previously mentioned badassery.

However, if Lesnar is to leave, Bryan should have the belt. In this case he's deserving by default.

Bryan is ready in that he'll be a popular champion but it doesn't look like an even fight. Lesnar looks like he could mollify Bryan with his bare hands, no interference needed. That coupled with the lingering doubts around Bryan's neck makes it seem like a Bryan victory would be of the 'plucky underdog' type. OK, but it's the same story as last year which wouldn't be so bad, except the guy Bryan would be facing is riding a groundswell of support of his own, largely based on his previously mentioned badassery.

However, if Lesnar is to leave, Bryan should have the belt. In this case he's deserving by default.

I agree, but the David and Goliath story is so much easier to write, when the whole world is willing him on at will.

The whole world would be willing Bryan on, Lesnar would have ridiculous levels of heel heat. That's what you want from your Wrestlemania main event. Something that captivates the audience, I wouldn't see the WWE universe having a problem buying into the match in spite of the fact that in a real fight, Brock clearly wins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Bryan vs Brock would easily, EASILY be the best and biggest main event they've had for years. The size difference would make it a brilliant story to write, and the crowd would absolutely get behind Bryan in the way they should a face, something that doesn't happen when they put Cena or Reigns in there against him.

I agree, but the David and Goliath story is so much easier to write, when the whole world is willing him on at will.

The whole world would be willing Bryan on, Lesnar would have ridiculous levels of heel heat. That's what you want from your Wrestlemania main event. Something that captivates the audience, I wouldn't see the WWE universe having a problem buying into the match in spite of the fact that in a real fight, Brock clearly wins.

The whole world? A lot of smarkier fans respect the hell out of Lesnar and enjoy the air of prestige he's brought to the belt. I'm sure most of the crowd would be behind Bryan but it wouldn't be black and white. Well, I suppose in today's wrestling it rarely ever is.

• Advertisement

The whole world? A lot of smarkier fans respect the hell out of Lesnar and enjoy the air of prestige he's brought to the belt. I'm sure most of the crowd would be behind Bryan but it wouldn't be black and white. Well, I suppose in today's wrestling it rarely ever is.

I love Lesnar, have for a long time. But the whole WWE world will be behind Bryan for sure

The title would lose the air of prestige it's had since Lesnar became champion at Summerslam, if Reigns it wins at Wrestlemania 31.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The title would lose the air of prestige it's had since Lesnar became champion at Summerslam, if Reigns it wins at Wrestlemania 31.

I'd imagine Reigns would be holding onto it for all of about 2 mins

I'd imagine Reigns would be holding onto it for all of about 2 mins

Even for those 2 minutes it would be ruined. But that's just my opinion.

Why the hell is Rollins in the title picture when he's got the briefcase? We all know he's going to cash it in at the end of the main event as the bankers are wont to do. It makes ZERO sense that he'd be fighting for the opportunity to face Lesnar fresh.

I know that Vince is alleged to be writing the show so I'm beyond giving out about bad booking to being tentatively concerned that he's starting to lose his marbles.

• Advertisement

Nobody will be surprised if Rollins does cash in, after Lesnar/Reigns knock 7 bells out of each other after a 25-30 minute match. Well actually Cole will be faux surprised (Doesn't help when you have Vince screaming in your ear.), Lawler will shriek, and JBL, well who the hell knows how JBL will react.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Why the hell is Rollins in the title picture when he's got the briefcase?

Because the matches will be far more entertaining if he's in them. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Why the hell is Rollins in the title picture when he's got the briefcase? We all know he's going to cash it in at the end of the main event as the bankers are wont to do. It makes ZERO sense that he'd be fighting for the opportunity to face Lesnar fresh.

I know that Vince is alleged to be writing the show so I'm beyond giving out about bad booking to being tentatively concerned that he's starting to lose his marbles.
    Especially as he is a heel, he wants to win the title fair and square. :confused:

DM_7 wrote: »
    Not that I am into this sort of think, but Romans Face, and the definition of his arms, shoulders do not suggest he would have any issues he needs to hide under that jacket.

Wearing the Shield Gear, keeping the music and entrance were all to make him look good, like the big deal coming out of that group.

Oh I don't think he does either, there's a bunch of photos of him from FCW you can check out and he still looks strong as f*ck, but it isn't that stupidly toned torso that Vince loves. It's probably still a LOT of work to get it to the stage it is at too in regards to toning, which is time that takes away from being able to focus on improving at other areas.

If he is champion after Mania, its going to be interesting to see who he faces especially if Brock is gone. Rollins obviously, but they have given away that match a lot, excellent long term planning their.:pac:

He needs to be kept away from Kane and Show,and you suspect Cena will be kept busy with Rusev for a bit. He isn't an awful worker but ****ing hell that leaves Wyatt, think of the matches and promos. :(

Wyatt cutting 20 minute long promos about sweet **** all, and then Reigns " I'm going to knock your teeth out roarrrrrrrrrrrr"

epic. :(

Rjd2 wrote: »
    If he is champion after Mania, its going to be interesting to see who he faces especially if Brock is gone. Rollins obviously, but they have given away that match a lot, excellent long term planning their.:pac:

He needs to be kept away from Kane and Show,and you suspect Cena will be kept busy with Rusev for a bit. He isn't an awful worker but ****ing hell that leaves Wyatt, think of the matches and promos. :(

Wyatt cutting 20 minute long promos about sweet **** all, and then Reigns " I'm going to knock your teeth out roarrrrrrrrrrrr"

epic. :(

If they make him heel, they open out their options a lot and given his comments of late, a heel turn seems like a sensible option. If Reigns joined the authority, it sets up a perfect scenario for a feud with Ambrose where they're calling out to him to join also, to complete the Shield within the authority and generally make life easier in himself. Beyond that you could have the subplot of the secretly jealous Rollins wanting the title, resenting Reigns in neglected older brother fashion as the Authority fawns over and favours its newest son, Reigns.

The Rock's Please Like This Guy pose. But both guys are in the middle of the road with fans.

DPvbkKd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I love Lesnar, have for a long time. But the whole WWE world will be behind Bryan for sure

What about the rest of the WWE Universe? :D

If they make him heel, they open out their options a lot and given his comments of late, a heel turn seems like a sensible option. If Reigns joined the authority, it sets up a perfect scenario for a feud with Ambrose where they're calling out to him to join also, to complete the Shield within the authority and generally make life easier in himself. Beyond that you could have the subplot of the secretly jealous Rollins wanting the title, resenting Reigns in neglected older brother fashion as the Authority fawns over and favours its newest son, Reigns.

I like that idea, you also could give Rollins a run as a face as well even a match against Reigns at the end would be nice little twist.

Think their would be money in a heel Reigns v Cena/ Bryan match, the likes of Dolph would also be a good opponent for a B ppv as well.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I like that idea, you also could give Rollins a run as a face as well even a match against Reigns at the end would be nice little twist.

Think their would be money in a heel Reigns v Cena/ Bryan match, the likes of Dolph would also be a good opponent for a B ppv as well.

I really think there's a lot of money in a heelish conceited Reigns and programs with him v Rollins or Cena would be pretty hot. Now, Reigns got a decent face pop on the last Raw too so there's still a possibility that WWE will go full ahead with the face run but I think that's a mistake since they already have the mixed reaction guy in Cena.

• Advertisement

From the new Wrestling Observer:
    One week after WWE had confirmed and gone full steam ahead with Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns as the WrestleMania main event, things may have changed.

On the 2/2 Raw show from Denver, a promised major announcement was that Daniel Bryan would face Seth Rollins on the show, in a match Bryan won. The winner would then face Reigns on the 2/22 Fast Lane PPV in Memphis to determine who faces Lesnar at WrestleMania.

The show saw Reigns positioned heelish in a late show confrontation with Bryan, and
    again in a face-to-face
    on Smackdown. Reigns also inexplicably lost to Big Show in what is believed to have been his first singles loss on the main roster after more than two years, or at least on a major show, which was thrown away in a meaningless situation that was never even brought up.

If the idea is to go with Reigns as the hot babyface, the guy he should be kept away from is Bryan, who is considerably more popular. With Bryan having already gotten screwed in the eyes of the fans at Royal Rumble, having him lose to Reigns will only infuriate the fans more. If the belief is that making the fans madder will heat up business, the post-Rumble boost of WWE Network numbers could be taken as evidence of that, well, then they can go put Reigns in a situation where in the end it’s going to hurt him getting over. And there is also a situation where you push too hard in always beating the most popular face and it starts to wear our and backfires.

If the idea is to go with Reigns as a heel champion, then beating Bryan would make sense, but he would need someone to talk for him in that situation. It does make sense since he’d have far more viable opponents as a heel champion, since as a face champion you’re pretty well limited to Rusev and Rollins.

Still, introducing him as part of the Samoan family, and having The Authority screw with him seems to contradict that direction.

It sounds ambiguous but if you're experienced in interpreting Dave's hints it sounds like he's saying the plan right now is for Bryan to go over a (possibly heel) Reigns, but that could change. :P

Also on Smackdown
    Ziggler and Ryback seem to be packaged as more or less a full time tag team now. So Ziggler vs Bryan at Mania may no longer be the plan.

You have to wonder have they changed their mind about him now.

I think they are a bit undecided and could go either way about him main eventing Wrestlemania.
    From the new Wrestling Observer:

It sounds ambiguous but if you're experienced in interpreting Dave's hints it sounds like he's saying the plan right now is for Bryan to go over a (possibly heel) Reigns, but that could change. :P
    [/SPOILER]

Come on, I said this a few days ago! :p

Ziggler v Bryan at Mania makes no sense to me anyway.2 faces and if Bryan lost, it would look like they are completely burying him and if he won, Ziggler gets nothing for it. Other than having a great wrestling match it would not mean much. Don't get me wrong i would love the actual match but there has to be a feud especially for matches at mania.

Regarding Roman, They are seeing if the boos last for him or was it a one off with the philly crowd. You heard HHH say he doesn't get booed at house shows (Is that true?) They dont get that the hardcore fans at Mania will boo Roman if he wins.They hope its just a Cena thing where they think the majority will cheer him anyway.

They made him lose on RAW and be more tougher or heelike to try to win back a few fans. I still think they want to go with Roman but doing a wait and see. They have a heel turn lined up too if they need it.To me that would be best for everyone. When he turns face again down the road and hopefully be a better wrestler, then we would like it more!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If Reigns goes on to Mania, I don't think we'll see a cash in, at least not on the night.

Mania tends to close with the "Send fans home happy" moment; a top babyface winning or a big emotional "happy" event.

IF they decide that Rollins cashing in is the "big happy moment" to send fans home happy, what does that say about Reigns. :S

If he's cashing in, I'd say it'll be on the next night on Raw, when the crowd will be ****ing all over him anyway.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    If Reigns goes on to Mania, I don't think we'll see a cash in, at least not on the night.

Mania tends to close with the "Send fans home happy" moment; a top babyface winning or a big emotional "happy" event.

IF they decide that Rollins cashing in is the "big happy moment" to send fans home happy, what does that say about Reigns. :S

If he's cashing in, I'd say it'll be on the next night on Raw, when the crowd will be ****ing all over him anyway.

Smarks don't like Reigns and Wrestlemania is the PPV with the highest consistent smark attendance. I don't see a Reigns win sending a whole lot of fans home happy. They'll at least dampen the big face type win..

Edit : Apparently, over on Reddit, there's a user called Metsfan4ever who posts usually reliable information on the WWE as he claims to be a former writer and his info is that (possible Fast Lane spoiler. Read at own risk)
    Reigns is 100% going over Bryan and they only made the match to quell the IWC and give Reigns more build time and a match to make him look strong.

Picking up from the news thread and something keeps striking me, Reigns is getting stick for things that others wouldn't. The whole situation is messed up, Bret Hart is right, fans had Bryan in their hearts and WWE caused problems by disregrading that.

To expand, Reigns not changing ring gear, entrance and music were mentioned as items to show Reigns hasn't developed his character. I am referencing it as an example of where i think the anti WWE hierarchy sentiment, that turns into anti Reigns sees people criticise Reigns for things others wouldn't be called out on.

Reigns didn't need to change those things as they made him identifiable as the man from the Shield, which he needed more than the others for the initial and medium term boost.

Ambrose for example, has not developed much at all since leaving the Shield imo. Yes he changed the above, thats about it. He is still an unstable, impulsive, take no prisoners guy. Thats okay as it was a good character to begin with. However he has not pushed on, become particularly likeable, his matches are all samey regardless of who his opponent is. But he is not WWE made or getting a mega push so its not seen as important.

(Rollins has changed the most and really found something most people thought he would never have. His matches are very good with a variety of opponents)

I think Reigns, post injury, has improved and developed himself. He speaks better for a start. He has more character traits like, determination (don't say i cant), confidence /cockyness, stands up to the authority etc. Not just a mute monster.

His in ring work is the thing he needs to improve and is the thing people negative towards him are correct on. But he doesn't get much praise for the things he has improved on.

Its such a strange situation that fans actively want to scrutinise Reigns so much that it removes any potential enjoyment of his work, just because WWE demoted D Bryan so much. Its such a massive complement to Bryan but overall a shame that the enjoyment gets sucked out of what is classed ad sports entertainment.

All good points, but the reason Reigns is getting so much scrutiny is because he's possibly being lined up to be the face of the company and beat the unbeatable one in Brock Lesnar. No small honour there. That's a huge, huge deal, in fact. In a way it could be one of the greatest, if not the greatest WM moment of all time, but there's incredible frustration because it's seen as if the WWE is squandering that, hard-headedly on a guy who's just too green. For some reason they have this bizarre fixation on going against the tide and plotting a course for disaster as the WM main event gets s*at on from a great height from the smarky crowd in attendance. Unless it's all part of a big swerve finish designed to bring the crowd to a boil and the IWC along with it, in which case bravo, WWE. But if not, if it's just a straight Reigns win, then they're doing the guy's more harm than good in the long run and his face will end up alongside that of Bobby Lashley and Lex Luger in the hall of unwanted heroes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It would have worked a lot better if Reigns was the one to beat Taker last year, then went on to win the Rumble to take on Brock.

Brock would still be just as over by beating other top guys all year and having Heyman cut promos for him and Reigns would be a much more believable threat with an organic growth.

All good points, but the reason Reigns is getting so much scrutiny is because he's possibly being lined up to be the face of the company and beat the unbeatable one in Brock Lesnar. No small honour there. That's a huge, huge deal, in fact. In a way it could be one of the greatest, if not the greatest WM moment of all time, but there's incredible frustration because it's seen as if the WWE is squandering that, hard-headedly on a guy who's just too green. For some reason they have this bizarre fixation on going against the tide and plotting a course for disaster as the WM main event gets s*at on from a great height from the smarky crowd in attendance. Unless it's all part of a big swerve finish designed to bring the crowd to a boil and the IWC along with it, in which case bravo, WWE. But if not, if it's just a straight Reigns win, then they're doing the guy's more harm than good in the long run and his face will end up alongside that of Bobby Lashley and Lex Luger in the hall of unwanted heroes.

Who else should they realistically be using then?

I genuinely think Reigns is the stand out guy based on his age, look, potential.

They need to replace Cena as a fan favourite Super Hero. And they do need that type of wrestler, with that look, its not a Vince love of that type of guy, its what the audience expects when they go to a live event. Reigns is the only guy young enough with the characteristics they need that is available.

They need to act now while Cena is still there.

In a year where Mania buys don't matter like they used to (as its on the Network) its an extra incentive to press ahead.

Reigns is not refined as an in ring competitor, but that can come. He is 28 and does not have the deer in the headlights look or terrible 'I can't take this guy seriously when he speaks' voice of a Bobby Lashley.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Who else should they realistically be using then?

I genuinely think Reigns is the stand out guy based on his age, look, potential.

They need to replace Cena as a fan favourite Super Hero. And they do need that type of wrestler, with that look, its not a Vince love of that type of guy, its what the audience expects when they go to a live event. Reigns is the only guy young enough with the characteristics they need that is available.

They need to act now while Cena is still there.

In a year where Mania buys don't matter like they used to (as its on the Network) its an extra incentive to press ahead.

Reigns is not refined as an in ring competitor, but that can come. He is 28 and does not have the deer in the headlights look or terrible 'I can't take this guy seriously when he speaks' voice of a Bobby Lashley.

Doesn't fan-favourite mean that most people like you? Half the people at 'mania are going to be cheering Lesnar. Sounds like an unconvincing foundation for the new franchise guy. Shouldn't he be riding a wave of overwhelming popularity like Bryan was last year? Even Cena was tremendously over when coming into being the top guy. It's just not happening for Reigns in that regard. His "don't tell me I can't" promos are coming off as forced and corny. We're supposed to believe this 'gee, shucks, I'm gonna give it my best shot' stuff?

I would have been against having Bryan because of his neck, but, he's competing in the most dangerous match on the card, so I would still have him vs. Lesnar. And I'm not even a big Bryan fan, I think he comes off as corny at times as well with his nice guy act but the fans love him. That he's over 30 is immaterial, several top guys have won the belt in their mid 30s, guys have headlined 2 years in a row so that's not an issue either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The big problem, and I've said it many times, is that Reigns has not had one proper feud as a singles competitor.

The one with Bryan was thrown together, and that's about as close as we've gotten.

I literally have no reason to care about him. He seems cool. That's it.

Hogan - larger than life, wanted me to train hard and better myself. Destroyed all the evil guys.

Warrior - a larger than life cartoon character who made you excites because he was so crazy and OTT.

Bret Hart - a slow steady rise through the ranks, his feuds had you emotionally invested in him, and you actually cared about what happened to him.

HBK - similar to above, except he was a heel, who put on brilliant matches, did things you'd not seen before.

Austin - ordinary bloke, except a louder, crazier, more obnoxious version, who did all the things you wish you could do but didn't have the balls to. You lived vicariously through him.

Rock - entertaining, funny, engaged me, so charismatic and cool, fought for 'the people'.

Cena - rapper gimmick was funny and entertaining. He was cool and charismatic. Fought his way through the ranks over a couple of years.

Why the holy fúck should anyone give a shíte about Roman Reigns? He's done nothing bar be athletic, good looking, have long hair, and seem kinda cool at times. There's nothing for a fan to really latch onto. He's not like me, and he's not larger than life.

Advertisement