Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balinteer Road - Changes coming..

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

RainyDay wrote: »
    So here's this weekend's update!

7pm Friday - very busy traffic from M50 to Wesley, but free flowing from Wesley onwards - haven't seen that pattern before, maybe the new designs are slowing cars down significantly

1pm Saturday - no traffic backed up until I got in sight of Tesco petrol station - maybe 5-10 cars backed up there. Funnily enough, there was a long queue backed up the bypass, which is unusual at that time of day.

5pm Saturday - Traffic busy but moving until close to Tesco

2pm Sunday - Busy from Tesco back to Gort Mhuire only

5pm Sunday - solid and very slow from Ballinteer Round roundabout with B Ave, right up to M50 roundabout.

I've never seen it that busy so late on a Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭sk8board

I travel outbound on the balinteer Rd at 5.30 every evening from Dundrum SC to M50N

Its been so bad since the day those lights and traffic calming went in at College park that I went looking to see if anyone else saw the same issues and came across this thread.

Its the light sequence thats the issue from what I can see; FAR too much green for the 1 or 2 cars that are coming in or out of College PArk.

I noticed yesterday they went red for the right turn from the M50 into college park (I was the first car at the lights heading in the other direction), and there was no-one turning at all - it seemed to take an age to change - then the pedestrian lights fired - again no-one was crossing.

meanwhile it pushes the traffic back to the wesley pedestrian lights, which pushes the traffic back to Wyckham and back to the Dundrum SC roundabout (which jams up the by-pass).

the lights sequence needs a serious review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well last Friday it took the afternoon 116 bus 20 minutes to get from the Sandyford Road junction at Balally LUAS until it turned onto Ballinteer Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

Agree. The traffic from Dundrum SC up to the M50 is utterly appalling these evenings. Dreadful stuff. 20 mins on a bus from Sandyford Road junction to Ballinteer Ave? It's hardly a distance of 1km. Argh!!

I couldn't figure out was it the lights or just sheer volume but sk8board, if you've looked at the lights firing when nobody's is turning or crossing, then that must be the main factor. I thought the pedestrian lights as Wesley were at the same thing (activating with nobody crossing) only a few days ago but haven't been up there since. To get to Kingston from Dundrum / Churchtown I now go in via Ludford or around Nutgrove and Stonemasons Way.

Last Friday, or might've been the Friday before, all approach roads to the Centre were completely stuffed. Ballinteer Road meant nobody could get up to, or down off, the M50. It's also not going to be long until there's blue murder at that Wesley roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I live beside the supervalu on ballinteer avenue, all you have to do is go through ballinteer park and then ballinteer avenue... you can access the town centre that way with no traffic often, yet you have idiots waiting ages to get in at the tesco entrace and other places, when they would be far better off driving a little further, but not sitting there at a standstill...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

At 2.30pm on Sunday, there was no build-up of any description coming from the M50 towards DTC. Traffic heading onto the M50 was busy along by College Park, but kept moving.

This evening was the worst so far. I left work at Bird ave drove to the roundabout at the top of Dundrum by pass in record time (great, I thought!) .....
    Then grid lock all the way to college park yet again ... Then free out to the m50.

It's crazy. Surely some gombean at DLCC can fiddle with the dials and change the sequence.
    I completely understand that getting people safely out of college park is the objective - but I doubt the residents want to queue in gridlock to get back in again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Why don't you email them and ask them to do precisely that instead of grumbling on here about it? Or email the local Councillors, they are always hyperactive around election time

You're gas, troll :)

Emailing the council (gosh we never thought of that) is easier when you have affirmation that others have the same issue and are contacting the same people, dept etc.
    They're 'public' servants, not person servants.

The deeper response to your silliness is - why do we need chat boards at all .... Although 6,750 comments in 4 years suggests people have time on their hands still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nobody trolling here. The Council are the ones in control of it, no? Way over the top over-reaction on your part.

And well done on all the car nerdiness etc, yes I can read profiles too.
    Cheers now.

• Advertisement

Hi guys, was working late last night and came by about 7 from the Dundrum side. It was clear from dundrum to Wesley and then blocked from there to college park, and also the inbound direction from the m50 to college park
    Am off today so i'll call DLCC again in a bit, now that we know that it's not just Christmas traffic

Quick update - I called again and they redirected me to the number below where I spoke to a really nice man. He mentioned it's the first report he could see for that new light. Gave all the details, he's passing it on to an engineer and took my number

dun loughaire traffic division: 00353 1 2302041

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Markx

The evolution of tactics on the Wesley roundabout continues. The latest move coming up from Wickham Way and heading for the M50 is to skip the majority of traffic by using the right lane and then a full loop around the roundabout.

Seeing as these people could still force themselves in when coming off the roundabout if they so wished (and which would still be marginally quicker) this appears to be no more than an effort not to look so nefarious to people they don't even know. Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Markx wrote: »
    The evolution of tactics on the Wesley roundabout continues. The latest move coming up from Wickham Way and heading for the M50 is to skip the majority of traffic by using the right lane and then a full loop around the roundabout.

Seeing as these people could still force themselves in when coming off the roundabout if they so wished (and which would still be marginally quicker) this appears to be no more than an effort not to look so nefarious to people they don't even know. Bizarre.

They have been at that trick for a while Markx, almost makes me more angry than the people who hold up the right lane by trying to get into the left lane at the top of the queue, they are just sneakier!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

When you are speaking to the council, could you also let them know that the two signs for Ballinteer as you come off the M50 and enter Ballinteer are spelt incorrectly. Have spell it Balinteer as opposed to Ballinteer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Are they going to physically separate the lanes at some point? As it is it's ridiculous, and causes problems for people not going to the centre, and penalises those who follow the (not very well seen) arrows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

It's been a mess since day one. The centre makes an absolute killing for the owners yet they are too cheap to put in a small flyover to eliminate the roundabout for those coming from the M50 to the centre. Should have been insisted on by the road authority before planning permission was granted but then again brown envelopes rule the day in Ireland not common sense.

snor wrote: »
    When you are speaking to the council, could you also let them know that the two signs for Ballinteer as you come off the M50 and enter Ballinteer are spelt incorrectly. Have spell it Balinteer as opposed to Ballinteer.

Really??? I never looked at the signs (cause I know where I am going) so never spotted the mistake, must check that out next time. That is ridiculous!

Ironically the title of this thread is also spelt incorrectly, ha!

Superhorse wrote: »
    It's been a mess since day one. The centre makes an absolute killing for the owners yet they are too cheap to put in a small flyover to eliminate the roundabout for those coming from the M50 to the centre. Should have been insisted on by the road authority before planning permission was granted but then again brown envelopes rule the day in Ireland not common sense.

Or maybe magic hover-bikes? Or flying saucers?

FFS if you're going to drive to a busy place, you're going to hit some heavy traffic. That's life - not a reason for extra flyovers. Where exactly would you suggest your flyover should run to/from?

Or maybe magic hover-bikes? Or flying saucers?

FFS if you're going to drive to a busy place, you're going to hit some heavy traffic. That's life - not a reason for extra flyovers. Where exactly would you suggest your flyover should run to/from?

Oh I don't know take a wild guess maybe the road before the roundabout to the entrance?? FFS is right. In you know developed nations they plan decent infrastructure with flyovers being one of many options but hey let's all just put up with the traffic snarl up because "that's life" :pac:

• Advertisement

Oh I don't know take a wild guess maybe the road before the roundabout to the entrance?? FFS is right. In you know developed nations they plan decent infrastructure with flyovers being one of many options but hey let's all just put up with the traffic snarl up because "that's life" :pac:

Which roundabout (there are three of them) and which entrance (there are more than three of them)?

Which roundabout (there are three of them) and which entrance (there are more than three of them)?

You are being a little awkward Rainy Day, you know exactly what he is talking about.

Superhorse while I am not agreeing with Rainy Day at all I dont think that a Flyover would have been an option for Dundrum, there is no way that residents would have agreed to something like that, it probably would have looked a bit unsightly, it is a bit of a shock for dundrum turning from a quiet suburb with cows grazing in fields (Gort Muire) to a traffic consumed shopping destination without adding a flyover to the landscape.

I do agree however that a traffic management plan is severly lacking and they definitly failed us there.

You are being a little awkward Rainy Day, you know exactly what he is talking about.
    I really, really dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I assume it is the roundabout closet to the centre - where the wycham bypass connects with the Dundrum bypass. A flyover to get people into the centre (where the tesco surface car park is) would possibly help with the traffic. But like Greenbicycle says, it would be an eyesore (and the current centre is already an eyesore) and it would meet with opposition from the locals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

dogmatix wrote: »
    I assume it is the roundabout closet to the centre - where the wycham bypass connects with the Dundrum bypass. A flyover to get people into the centre (where the tesco surface car park is) would possibly help with the traffic. But like Greenbicycle says, it would be an eyesore (and the current centre is already an eyesore) and it would meet with opposition from the locals.

What about a fly under for the people going from Dundrum bypass to Wyckham road? Would alleviate a significant pain in the morning...and at weekends ease people on the bypass trying to get to M50

Dardania wrote: »
    What about a fly under for the people going from Dundrum bypass to Wyckham road? Would alleviate a significant pain in the morning...and at weekends ease people on the bypass trying to get to M50

The Dundrum Tunnel! :D

dogmatix wrote: »

Something like the blue arrow on this map?

Okay. Sorry thought you where a serious poster.

So you've worked out what a silly idea it was in the first place, then. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He thinks traffic isn't too bad in that area, not much else to be said really.

Advertisement