Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth farming anymore?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Are you allowed reseed/spray off bogland/scrub in GLAS??

No, can't have reseeded in 10 years for low input perm pasture, you can't cut silage from march to july and only 1 and half roughly of 18.6.12 to acre. Must contain less than 30% ryegrass which most of mine does, not all but going to take the risk and stick in most of the farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

AP2014 wrote: »
    No, can't have reseeded in 10 years for low input perm pasture, you can't cut silage from march to july and only 1 and half roughly of 18.6.12 to acre. Must contain less than 30% ryegrass which most of mine does, not all but going to take the risk and stick in most of the farm.

Jesus you'll grow fcuk all for that!! :eek:

Can you reclaim say areas over grown with furze/gorse and can you spray off rushes/do general draining

Jesus you'll grow fcuk all for that!! :eek:

Can you reclaim say areas over grown with furze/gorse and can you spray off rushes/do general draining

€314 a ha......would be hard to make it from reseeding it....they are paying you not to work. Strange scheme. Not sure on drainage to be honest. Will read through again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

AP2014 wrote: »
    €314 a ha......would be hard to make it from reseeding it....they are paying you not to work. Strange scheme. Not sure on drainage to be honest. Will read through again.

Emm twould be tight alright.....at same time twould want to be a very bad hectare that wouldn't keep 10 lambs

I'm more interested in the reseeding/reclaiming end at the min

And spraying off weeds/ferns from corners of fields....I must look further into this scheme

Emm twould be tight alright.....at same time twould want to be a very bad hectare that wouldn't keep 10 lambs

I'm more interested in the reseeding/reclaiming end at the min

And spraying off weeds/ferns from corners of fields....I must look further into this scheme

Here ya go....Page 47 onwards...nothing on drainage.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/glas/GLASSpecification23022015.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

doctorjan wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice,

I do agree that a change your system is probably the only option.

Thanks Capercaille, I will look into GLAS.

As _Brian said an accounting loss is hard to swallow, that's what brought me here.
    At least his similar experience in 2009 with a cost of €650 to keep a cow for the year is in line with what i was coming up with.

I do accept what AP2014 was saying too, overheads are too high and fencing had gotten away from me. This year should bring that to an end.
    My fencing expenses included a neighbour with sheep he refused to fence off along a 300m boundary and when I inherited the place my father had been a battery fence man for 20 years; I just found it easier to split the place into paddocks and fence the boundary properly. I know this was more expense but still makes life easier on the wet days when the vet is due and i hafta get them in either before or after work.
    (I'll never understand how animals pick up on when you're anxious to get them in and just decide to run all over the place)

For me sheep are not an option with full time job
    sheep take up a serious amount of time as far as i can see.

I think this year either I will try the buy in spring, sell in autumn system
    or close off a chunk of it and sell silage/ hay over two cuts
    or just rent it out?

any thoughts on these ideas? Land is in midlands - anyone have any idea on rental value / pitfalls? I'm thinking I'd have to ask for money up front?

Where in the midlands?? im looking for land to rent. pm me location. Im in North Kildare. Have no problem paying up front or monthly or whatever way you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Last time i said to a fella take the meadow of it, it wasn't cut till early aug, the place left in sh1t and no grass on it for 6 months.

I hate bringing/letting others in on the land.

Cutting and storing myself, same issue. Maybe if i had a yard for the bales, but not otherwise. Cutting up land over winter to get bales out.

Not even mentioning keeping tabs on them, working full time has so many draw backs.

I even feel yrs a ago u could rely on other farmers in the area, but little of us in the game now

P_Cash wrote: »
    Last time i said to a fella take the meadow of it, it wasn't cut till early aug, the place left in sh1t and no grass on it for 6 months.

I hate bringing/letting others in on the land.

Cutting and storing myself, same issue. Maybe if i had a yard for the bales, but not otherwise. Cutting up land over winter to get bales out.

Not even mentioning keeping tabs on them, working full time has so many draw backs.

I even feel yrs a ago u could rely on other farmers in the area, but little of us in the game now

Very true, I have 2 guys at the moment I trust. One wants to cut it nearly before June, I don't mind but extra bales for me if he leaves it longer. Always one or two chancers. They have to be out by end of June with me.

On meal, I can't afford it and don't see it as profitable. Keep a field or two of grass under them in March/April and they will push on in May/June.

On weights it's usually 200 -250kg. Some of your heavy ones could be going backwards for 2 months. Depends on the animal.

Advertisement