Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CPD

• 26-01-2015 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I'm just wondering if you do CPD related to your school role during school hours, with principals permission, should you get paid for that day. I'm a non casual part time teacher covering maternity leave. I'd guess that if an RPT or permanent teacher you would.
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

never heard of anyone ever getting paid for any cpd.. esp during school hours.

At the very most you might get course fees paid if its not too much. Dunno if primary teachers get EPV if they do courses outside hours! I'd just be delighted to get out of the classroom for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I think the OP means that will they get paid for the maternity cover they are providing while they are away doing CPD for the day.

I haven't a clue, but if you are considered to be away on school business and your classes are covered, then maybe. Ask your principal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭smallgarden

I don't mean paid extra. I just mean if I'm normally paid 10hrs for the week, I still get paid for 10hrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

I don't mean paid extra. I just mean if I'm normally paid 10hrs for the week, I still get paid for 10hrs.

I'm not sure as a sub because surely someone else has to sub your classes?
    Maybe things have change from when I subbed (donkeys years ago!), but I only ever got paid for classes I taught.
    I hope you do get paid.

Ok Gotcha (Thanks Rainbowtrout!).

I would imagine schools would look favourably on someone interested in CPD, esp. if you are going to use it in your teaching (and you might be around the school for longer than they are letting you know!). Who knows, if you sell it right to the VP and have asked other colleagues if they can cover classes in advance, then you might be treated the same as any other teacher on an inservice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I wasn't allowed go on cpd day for new DCG course bout 5 years ago because I was technically a sub and they couldn't get a sub in for a sub.
    If the principal agrees to cover you from S&C you should get paid. If you are only 10 hours wouldn't be many classes to cover in a day so I reasonavle principal should be ok to deal with there.
    But as I said as far as I am aware you can't get a sub for a sub so if someone came in to replace you they would be paid not you. I'm open to correction though just my understanding

seavill wrote: »
    I wasn't allowed go on cpd day for new DCG course bout 5 years ago because I was technically a sub and they couldn't get a sub in for a sub.
    If the principal agrees to cover you from S&C you should get paid. If you are only 10 hours wouldn't be many classes to cover in a day so I reasonavle principal should be ok to deal with there.
    But as I said as far as I am aware you can't get a sub for a sub so if someone came in to replace you they would be paid not you. I'm open to correction though just my understanding

how about if you got colleagues to cover!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Never tried to get colleagues to cover. I personally wouldn't like to go down that route as I think it may start to give the principal ideas that other CPD days could be covered without S&S or subs.
    In reality the OP shouldn't have to be going asking for favors or owing people a class back at some stage to cover. Not fair on the OP or their colleagues however I couldn't see a principal turning down that option if it was given to them.

depends on the school I spse. Weve no problem with getting colleagues to cover as a favour as it means they know who to come to first if they need a favour (have to clear it with vice principal first though!).
    Also regular teachers on cpd goes under s&s...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Most of the times due to my role i wouldn't need cover. I'm not a temporary sub. I'm non casual which is treated a little different from being a sub in for just a few weeks. It seems to depend on the school rather than a set policy though. Thanks for all your help

• Advertisement
Advertisement