Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money owed by employer

Options
  • 26-01-2015 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, my partner is currently on maternity leave, she is a part time hairdresser.
    Throughout the Christmas period I had been telling her she should receive some form of tax back in the new year, as the tax she had paid in 2014 would match up close to her tax free allowance/ tax credit.

She has received her P60. (I will attach it if I can)

Now I want to know if I have this correct or if I am missing something.

P60 says:
    Gross 11,074.00
    USC 317.16
    PRSI 32.00
    TAX 0.29

I make out her nett by this for 2014 should be 10,824.81. However her bank statement says she got paid 10,475.36. The difference being 349.45. She never gets paid cash/cheque.

Today, she made a quick call to her employer querying this, who after chatting to the bookkeeper & accountant has come back saying that she was "overpaid in 2012 & 2013 and this was just balancing things out". The employer has said she has a load of paper work which my partner can take down to the tax office and they will verify what the employer says is the case.

Now her employer is very nice, genuinely. However I feel the reply is just an excuse as they have been caught out. Or the bookkeeper (employers mother) has made a mess and is feeding the naive employer an excuse, which they are happy to go along with so as not to pay out the measly €350.

My partner has also found out she should have also been paid one fifth of her weekly wage for each bank holiday for the last 3 years, which she never received. Approx €400 per year.
    She has not said anything about this as yet and was going to wait until St. Patricks Day.

We don't want to do anything legal, and won't. Its just not worth it life-wise. Money is not everything.

Do my sums add up, or am I wrong? Also does the employers reason make sense/ can it be legit?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

NOt sure on the sums, when I deduct the PRSI/USC and tax it nets at €10,724.55

Employers excuse sounds a bit unusual how come it's only now been said to your partner?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You are quite right the sums are incorrect, the difference is 249.19, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Very odd, looks like an issue with the p35 the employer submitted. The employer is taking a chance, if all the employees checked there wages and queried it with the tax office, the employer could be facing a tax audit.

With the bank holidays, yes she was entitled to them, but I would just make it clear that they expect to be paid for them going forward. Other than a complaint to NERA, there isn't much more they can do to enforce the payment for the last few years. Unfair I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Anon Me wrote: »
    Hi, my partner is currently on maternity leave, she is a part time hairdresser.

If she worked 40 hours in the preceding 5 weeks she would be entitled to be paid for the BH.

The pay would be calculated based on the average weekly wage over the previous 13 weeks, divided by 5.

Advertisement