Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Demis Roussos

• 26-01-2015 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭

Just saw on the news today that legendary Greek singer Demis Roussos passed away at the age of 68, I thought it was appropriate to start a thread here in Retro, the AH thread as is typical for AH is rather less than respectful at times.

In the UK he became as well known for his weight and eccentric dress sense as his music but if one cuts away the trivial stuff, the guy had an amazing voice. His vocals could soar and they had what I can only describe as a "hi-fi" quality to them.

His golden period of hits was a bit before I was buying records and honestly I wouldn't have bought them at the time being more into Ska and then heavy metal but I was familiar with them because of they were a staple of local radio in the 80's. About 8 years ago I found out about the group he was in prior to his solo hits, a prog rock outfit called Aphrodites Child. Their album 666 is magnificent and most definitely worth a listen. The group was also notable for prog legend Vangelis playing the keyboards.

Roussos (on bass as well as vocals) with Aphrodites Child

and one of his solo hits

I think he's a musician who is worthy of being fondly remembered, RIP.

Comments

Advertisement