Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

phog wrote: »
    As a squad we've come a long way but with regards to the bolded bit we are in our hole in a golden age unless you mean the age of Boss and Reddan.

Im pretty sure his point is that it only seems so terrible because the rest of our squad is, by our standards at least, excellent, the best we've ever had in terms of quality and depth.

Our 5th choice backrower is Murphy who stepped in seamlessly at no. 8 against England in the six nations, and we're leaving players like Ruddock and TOD at home. If you compare the scrumhalf situation to that, it looks pretty dire. But if you compare the scrumhalf situation against Ireland squads of the past, we're not doing that badly. Its just the reality that we're a small country and the type of depth we currently have in the backrow/back 3 cant be repeated everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

A comparative golden age. Comparative!
    He said comparative tbf.

Edit: Damn you IBF...

He did, comparative to early professional era or to international squads?

If people are happy with Boss being 3rd best scrumhalf then so be it.

I'm not.

Let's leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If people are happy with Boss being 3rd best scrumhalf then so be it.

I'm not.

Let's leave it there.

Comparative to earlier Ireland RWC squads.

I think 2015 Murray-Reddan-Boss as a fit trio is marginally better than Murray-Reddan-Boss of 2011, given how much Murray has improved in 4 years.

I'm not happy with Boss being 3rd best 9 and ideally Marmion or Hart would have gotten (more) opportunities but it is what it is and unless injury strikes it's not going to matter a jot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Disagree..

A tight-head can typically play loose head without much difficulty in terms of scrummaging. The pressures are greatly reduced on the LH side compared to TH so it's actually quite easy..TBH moving from Right to Left in the scrum is actually like a little holiday!! ;)

Tight-heads are almost universally larger , squarer and less mobile than L/H's- It's the nature of the position..

However with a T/H on the L/H side that typically means you give up a ball-carrier and a fair degree of mobility. That's perfectly fine for Bench cover..just not for starting bigger games..

If you think of the modern props out there - All the mobile ball-carrying ones are Loose-heads ..I struggle to name a T/H that has a reputation for mobility and/or ball carrying..

They are all loose-heads - Healy , Marler , Jenkins, Debaty , Mtawarira etc.

Italy's stalwart Tight Head prop, Martin Castrogiovanni, is an excellent ball-carrier in the loose.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup/2015/0901/724875-ireland-rwc-squad/

lol
    Perhaps the most unlucky player in the extended squad, Kilcoyne is a wonderfully complete player that – like Healy – runs at defences like a barrel-chested, wild baboon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Ummm, was it not obvious from the comparison with the 1999 and 2003 squads?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Disagree..

A tight-head can typically play loose head without much difficulty in terms of scrummaging. The pressures are greatly reduced on the LH side compared to TH so it's actually quite easy..TBH moving from Right to Left in the scrum is actually like a little holiday!! ;)

Tight-heads are almost universally larger , squarer and less mobile than L/H's- It's the nature of the position..

However with a T/H on the L/H side that typically means you give up a ball-carrier and a fair degree of mobility. That's perfectly fine for Bench cover..just not for starting bigger games..

If you think of the modern props out there - All the mobile ball-carrying ones are Loose-heads ..I struggle to name a T/H that has a reputation for mobility and/or ball carrying..

They are all loose-heads - Healy , Marler , Jenkins, Debaty , Mtawarira etc.

WP Nel

Buer wrote: »
    It doesn't void it. If anything, it strengthens it. Tony Buckley was deemed the best tighthead able to cover loosehead. If tightheads could easily do it, they'd have put anyone there ahead of him. That was the best we could do.

The majority of Jenkins' early caps were at tighthead. He only fully became a loosehead the season of his first Lions tour.

Nit-picking here, but is it not the case that once he switched positions he never played tighthead again?
    I think there's a place for a prop in a RWC squad that can switch over and back if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Nit-picking here, but is it not the case that once he switched positions he never played tighthead again?
    I think there's a place for a prop in a RWC squad that can switch over and back if needs be.

Who? Jenkins? He played a couple of his first 10-15 caps at loosehead but most at tight which he kept returning to. He was a tighthead in the 2003 RWC and regularly moved between the two positions for Cardiff and Bridgend in his first few seasons as a pro.

It was the emergence of Adam Jones in the 2005 6N that saw him move to loosehead permanently.

It's a point though, that the provinces don't really try to produce a player that can cover 9 and 10, or a player that can cover 1 and 2.
    If the provinces were given a directive to promote the production of those types of players we would have better options for future world cups.
    The provinces would have to train players and most importantly give them a rotation in competitive matches.
    I think 1 and 2 are a bit closer to each other than 3 in terms of physical size, and the 9 and 10 are similar in kicking and passing skills,
    and the modern 9 can be as big or even bigger than the modern 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Tox56 wrote: »
    I have questioned seemingly strange calls from Schmidt and been proven wrong way too many times to be overly concerned. He is obviously human and he has made mistakes, but he's been proven right so often that if he does something you just have to assume it has a good reason. We'll see after the tournament

I agree.

Joe has made so many genius calls in the past that we have to assume that what looks absolutely bonkers to us is, in fact, a masterstroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,726 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

is Moore not selected due to injury ? - he looked class last season at international level - otherwise happy eneogh - Trimble is very unlucky, but I assume this is due to injury too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

A TH who has never practised or played at LH in his career would not be able to suddenly play LH especially in a test match. However a TH with some experience of playing LH (like Furlong) can be taught to play LH well enough to cover the position if necessary.

I think the bigger issue with going with Furlong, is his age and experience. Props don't tend to hit their peak until late 20s into their early 30s. There are dozens of examples of talented young props (LH and TH) getting their arses handed to them a few times by older opponents before they become good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

It's a point though, that the provinces don't really try to produce a player that can cover 9 and 10, or a player that can cover 1 and 2.
    If the provinces were given a directive to promote the production of those types of players we would have better options for future world cups.
    The provinces would have to train players and most importantly give them a rotation in competitive matches.
    I think 1 and 2 are a bit closer to each other than 3 in terms of physical size, and the 9 and 10 are similar in kicking and passing skills,

Not a bad idea to have around. Take Madigan, Jackson, Hanrahan, marmion and anyone else with a bit of promise and send them off to nine-and-a-half school some summer. Could lead to some interesting players coming out of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Didnt' France try for a few years to produce 9s who were 10s and 10s who were 9s, they just ended up being ok in both positions.

Ummm, was it not obvious from the comparison with the 1999 and 2003 squads?

Using that as a benchmark Frank Murphy is unlucky not the be travelling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

When did Furlong play LH at U20s? All I remember is him playing TH (and doing so exceptionally well).

If he'd been around in 99 or 03 he probably would have, which just proves my point even more.

Clareman wrote: »
    Didnt' France try for a few years to produce 9s who were 10s and 10s who were 9s, they just ended up being ok in both positions.

I think they produced one or two who were reasonably handy......

That said, it's difficult to come up with many examples of players who are genuinely world class in both positions....but I guess that's to be expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Off topic, but he was reffing at the Limerick Sevens event

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Best, Cronin, Strauss
    Healy, McGrath
    Ross, White, Furlong
    POC, Toner, Hendserson, Ryan
    Henry, Murphy, SOB, POM,
    Heaslip

Murray, Reddan,
    Sexton, PJ, Madigan
    Henshaw, Payne, Cave
    Bowe, Earls, Fitzgerald, DK, Zebo
    RK

Fitzgerald and Earls cover the centres
    Zebo covers the 15
    Murphy covers No.8
    Henderson covers back and second row
    I still can't see Madigan covering 9

It's a good squad, I like it.

Edit: Just watching the press conference now and Madigan will cover scrum half but at the start of the conference Schmidt mentioned how easily, and readily, they'd call up Boss in the event of an injury.

Furlong is also the third LH

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Podge_irl wrote: »
    When did Furlong play LH at U20s? All I remember is him playing TH (and doing so exceptionally well).

He didn't. I posted yesterday that he played for Ireland underage. I guess I should have been clearer as people inferred this was for Ireland U20.

He played loosehead for the Irish U18 Youth team.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gamma001

healy fit to play against england

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

gamma001 wrote: »

It worries me that a guy who was supposedly touch and go for the whole tournament is now miraculously able to play our next warm up. There's no point in risking him in what will be a tough test in Twickenham. Better give him an extra couple of weeks and introduce him versus Canada or Romania.

Buer wrote: »
    He didn't. I posted yesterday that he played for Ireland underage. I guess I should have been clearer as people inferred this was for Ireland U20.

He played loosehead for the Irish U18 Youth team.

I see, thanks.

Not exactly phenomenally relevant experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

stem_cell_research_family_guy_fox.jpg

I see, thanks.

Not exactly phenomenally relevant experience.

I took it from another poster that he had. He clarified that it was at u18 level. Thanks.
    That's still not that long ago and like I said before, I'm sure he has been doing a lot of practice at LH. He obviously brings something to the team that the coaches like and thing think he can do a job for them despite his inexperience at both LH and TH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I guess they may feel that Murray and Reddan can play every game at 9 and 21, perhaps Reddan starting the first 2 with Murray on the bench and then switching round.

A guy who contributed to some of this imperfect situation is Jackson. While a 9/10 combo player is nice, it is far less to expect an international level outhalf to be able to usefully provide back up elsewhere in the outside backs. Jackson is handicapped by being a 10 and nothing but, so offering no cover. Bringing 3 tens forced the Madigan-9 squeeze, in order to include Cave.

The situation only arises in a WC squad scenario, so wont hamper Jackson chances otherwise since far less of a problem for any other one off international game.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I took it from another poster that he had. He clarified that it was at u18 level. Thanks.
    That's still not that long ago and like I said before, I'm sure he has been doing a lot of practice at LH. He obviously brings something to the team that the coaches like and thing think he can do a job for them despite his inexperience at both LH and TH.

Its 5(?) years ago and more to the point he was scrummaging against 17 year olds!

I'm not doubting that he has practiced in training and I don't disagree that moving tight to loose is easier than the reverse (based on my extensive experience :pac: ) but I also don't think its as easy to do so at international level as you claim. Surely we would see it more often were it so easy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

ah you played vs georgia last year iirc

And 7 min against S-Af

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Marmion........... must be disappointed. Strange decision (if true), but there you go

No Boss ahead of him, so I'm ok with it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

connachta wrote: »
    No Boss ahead of him, so I'm ok with it:)

Schmidt said if there's an injury to any of the 9's they'd call up Boss.

b.gud wrote: »
    FWIW in the official IRFU gallery
    Hensahw and Payne are listed as Centre/Fullback.

Here we are, as I said:)

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Off topic, but he was reffing at the Limerick Sevens event

I didn't see him but I heard he did AR at the Munster v LI game last week. Good to see ex-players sticking with the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

:) Fingers & toes crossed that he will still be in the matchday squad come Oct 11th (Fra)...and beyond!

• Advertisement

wittycynic wrote: »
    It worries me that a guy who was supposedly touch and go for the whole tournament is now miraculously able to play our next warm up. There's no point in risking him in what will be a tough test in Twickenham. Better give him an extra couple of weeks and introduce him versus Canada or Romania.

If you saw Healy trying to recover fitness with Leinster last year you would understand that he needs a lot of games to get fit. After 3/4 runs off the bench he was still 20 yards behind the play in his first and second start (so 5th/6th game back).

If Healy plays against England, Romania, Canada and Italy (20/30/40 mins each game) I'd guess he will have 20/30 minute of test intensity rugby in him for the French and might be able to start a QF.

Even that's pushing it I think, but a run out against England is damn near essential for him.

Its 5(?) years ago and more to the point he was scrummaging against 17 year olds!

I'm not doubting that he has practiced in training and I don't disagree that moving tight to loose is easier than the reverse (based on my extensive experience :pac: ) but I also don't think its as easy to do so at international level as you claim. Surely we would see it more often were it so easy?

I never claimed it would be easy to do at this level. In fact I pointed out his inexperience at this level worries me. Honestly, I was surprised Furlong was taken ahead of Bent.

I believe we will only see him on the field at loosehead towards the end of a match that's in the bag AND that's only if Healy or McGrath had a niggle that needed rest for one game. The only chance of Furlong getting significant game time at LH is through a horrible combination of injuries, suspensions and bad timing.

.ak wrote: »
    Schmidt said if there's an injury to any of the 9's they'd call up Boss.

But there's none ATM, so Boss isn't in the plane.
    And don't forget provincial games will take place. 4 or 5 good ones for Marms and the reverse for Bossy, and Schmidt's opinion could change. As it changed about bringing only two scrummies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

deadhorse1-e1422994713594.jpg

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    deadhorse1-e1422994713594.jpg

Haha such a revealing pic. Boss protectors are Dark Vador's troops:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

padser wrote: »
    If you saw Healy trying to recover fitness with Leinster last year you would understand that he needs a lot of games to get fit. After 3/4 runs off the bench he was still 20 yards behind the play in his first and second start (so 5th/6th game back).

If Healy plays against England, Romania, Canada and Italy (20/30/40 mins each game) I'd guess he will have 20/30 minute of test intensity rugby in him for the French and might be able to start a QF.

Even that's pushing it I think, but a run out against England is damn near essential for him.
    Well, he was out for a very long time with a lower body injury which would have impacted on his fitness training generally. That may not necessarily be the case here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

And don't forget provincial games will take place. 4 or 5 good ones for Marms and the reverse for Bossy, and Schmidt's opinion could change. As it changed about bringing only two scrummies

Keiran can you stop posting here and get back to training with connacht. I'm sure Joe will let you know if he needs you or not.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Keiran can you stop posting here and get back to training with connacht. I'm sure Joe will let you know if he needs you or not.

Same for Boss, that's the important part:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Same for Boss, that's the important part:D
    For the love of Jebus, let it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

For the love of Jebus, let it go.

Yeah, Joe saw the boss v Marmion debate on here and said "Fck it, I'm not bringing either of them, that'll learn those pesky boardsies"!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Missed the press conference...what did joe say about Trimble? Injured?

mfceiling wrote: »

I'd say Marmion would be absolutely mortified if he saw these posts being made on his behalf.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

kuang1 wrote: »
    Missed the press conference...what did joe say about Trimble? Injured?

He didn't say he was injured but did say the injury after the first Wales game stopped him really competing in a very competitive area in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

to save me reading through the many pages of this forum - Why was trimble left out in the end? was it injury ? did his foot flair up after the Ulster game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He didn't say he was injured but did say the injury after the first Wales game stopped him really competing in a very competitive area in the squad.

very disappointing considering other players have been given every chance to prove fitness. Ah Well at least Ulster will be in better shape over the next few months!:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement