Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Buer wrote: »
    It's like some sort of weird Beetlejuice effect. If we say Henderson 3 times, you show up.

On a tangent, I look forward to McCloskey's emergence as a winger.

McCloskey on the wing is far from the worst idea I've ever heard.

Not sure he would be quick enough though, but then he is probably a similar pace to Shaggy who did ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bilston wrote: »
    McCloskey on the wing is far from the worst idea I've ever heard.

It's no fun when you agree, bilston.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Time for Mick Kearney to start hitting 4th gear alright!

Quinn Roux is now IQ and has really stood out since he moved west. Also keep an eye out for Ultan Dillane def one for the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

b.gud wrote: »
    Quinn Roux is now IQ and has really stood out since he moved west. Also keep an eye out for Ultan Dillane def one for the future

I had high hopes for Quinn Roux in Leinster, but he was unlucky with injuries. Also he was very young, particularly for a lock, and maybe I expected too much. I am delighted to see how well he has progressed in Connacht, and reckon that he will line out for Ireland some day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

I didn't see it written out exactly when someone asked for the explanation of why moving Heaslip to 6 with Henderson at 8 is a 'bad idea', so apologies if I'm duplicating information here, but no one seemed to point to the absolute importance of experience at 8, which was hinted at by someone but without enough emphasis, I think. To get the level of experience that Heaslip has would take a long time for Henderson to pick up. Knowing when the move is on, when it's not, recognising when the scrum shifted to the left just a little, or even knowing the signs that it's a possibility that it might, and knowing how to react to that for a planned move, if it's on or not, go with plan B in the event of 'shift to the left'.

Having that experience is of huge benefit with Heaslip at 8 and you wouldn't get that for a very long time with Henderson. Yes, he can be taught it and you can be told 'in the event of a shift to the left, do X', but Henderson would still have to think 'did it shift left? Did it shift left enough' and in that split second, the proper reaction could be too late. With Heaslip it's embedded in his instincts of how to deal with a situation at the back of the scrum based on years and years of experience. With Henderson, that would take a lot of time to have experienced everything, especially in a match situation and not just training. Again, not saying he couldn't do it, just that it's not just a simple "sure put him there at 8, he'll learn it" as in the meantime we'd also have a fella at 6 now having the same lack of split second 'this is what I do right now' as he'd also be getting to used to a new position. Regardless of their professional skill levels to adapt, I don't think it would be the worth the time frame it would take to have experienced what's needed in all situations.

Good article from Gordon D'Arcy in the IT today

Gordon D’Arcy: New breed will define World Cup
    In many respects, knowing what’s coming, I’m able to live with not making Joe’s 31-man squad. Disappointed, sure, but have you seen the size of the three quarters I’ve been tackling since 2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

If you want Henderson's power off the back of the scrum close to the opposition's try line, you don't need to put him at 8. You would look to turn the scrum a bit to open the blindside then work an 8, 9, 6 move.

Or twist it open and work an 8, 10, 6 move where 9 and 7 run dummy (blocking) lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    If you want Henderson's power off the back of the scrum close to the opposition's try line, you don't need to put him at 8. You would look to turn the scrum a bit to open the blindside then work an 8, 9, 6 move.

Or twist it open and work an 8, 10, 6 move where 9 and 7 run dummy (blocking) lines.

Or just use the talent we have in the back row, play him in the 2nd row where he is destined to be our messiah, and use him on 2nd phase, which is what we do with O'Connell a lot currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Or just use the talent we have in the back row, play him in the 2nd row where he is destined to be our messiah, and use him on 2nd phase, which is what we do with O'Connell a lot currently.

Yeah I agree that 2nd row should be his primary position. But if he was on the field as a loosie, it would make more sense using him how I described than trying to convert him to an 8.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Ceadog

Heaslip played 7 in a Possibles vs. Probables game back when Deccie was still around. That's the only time I can remember him playing anywhere other than 8.
    b.gud wrote: »

Don't forget SO'B 2.0!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

Heaslip is nearly 32. Given his ever presence in the team do we have a suitable replacement in waiting? Physically Heaslip could probably go on for years but I've heard a lot of players say the mind went before the body. I'm just wondering as people are saying Henderson is the automatic replacement for O'Connell how many of our other more senior players have automatic replacements lined up?

For the next World CUp we should aim to develop a few more options at Hooker, Tight Head Prop, 2nd Row, No. 8, Scrum Half, Outside Centre, and Fullback.
    e.g.
    Hookers - Rob Herring (Ulster), Niall Scannell (Munster), James Tracy (Leinster).
    Tight Head Prop - Martin Moore (Leinster), Tadhg Furlong (Leinster), Andrew Warwick (Ulster), JP Cooney (Connacht), Stephen Archer (Munster).
    2nd Row - John Madigan (Munster), Dave Foley (Munster), Mick Kearney (Leinster), Quinn Roux (Connacht), Peter Browne (Ulster).
    No. 8 - Jordi Murphy (Leinster), Jack Conan (Leinster), Robin Copeland (Munster), CJ Stander (Munster), Jack O'Donoghue (Munster).
    Scrum Half - Kieran Marmion (Connacht), John Cooney (Connacht), Luke McGrath (Leinster), Cathal Sheridan (Munster).
    Outside Centre - Stuart Olding (Ulster), Sam Arnold (Ulster).
    Fullback - Tiernan O'Halloran (Connacht, Darragh Leader (Connacht), Peter Nelson (Ulster).

We're light in the backs at Scrum Half, Outside Centre, and Fullback, but plenty of choice and talent coming through in the forwards in all positions IMO.

For the next World CUp we should aim to develop a few more options at Hooker, Tight Head Prop, 2nd Row, No. 8, Scrum Half, Outside Centre, and Fullback.
    e.g.
    Hookers - Rob Herring (Ulster), Niall Scannell (Munster), James Tracy (Leinster).
    Tight Head Prop - Martin Moore (Leinster), Tadhg Furlong (Leinster), Andrew Warwick (Ulster), JP Cooney (Connacht), Stephen Archer (Munster).
    2nd Row - John Madigan (Munster), Dave Foley (Munster), Mick Kearney (Leinster), Quinn Roux (Connacht), Peter Browne (Ulster).
    No. 8 - Jordi Murphy (Leinster), Jack Conan (Leinster), Robin Copeland (Munster), CJ Stander (Munster), Jack O'Donoghue (Munster).
    Scrum Half - Kieran Marmion (Connacht), John Cooney (Connacht), Luke McGrath (Leinster), Cathal Sheridan (Munster).
    Fullback - Tiernan O'Halloran (Connacht, Darragh Leader (Connacht), Peter Nelson (Ulster).

We're light in the backs at Scrum Half, Outside Centre, and Fullback, but plenty of choice and talent coming through in the forwards in all positions IMO.

JP Cooney is playing loosehead. The tight heads for Connacht after White would be Ah You and Bealham.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

e.g.
    Hookers - Rob Herring (Ulster), Niall Scannell (Munster), James Tracy (Leinster). Harris-Wright and Heffernan from Connacht could be in the mix too
    2nd Row - John Madigan (Munster), Dave Foley (Munster), Mick Kearney (Leinster), Quinn Roux (Connacht), Peter Browne (Ulster). Ultan Dillane too

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

Maximuscle youtube has a string of videos of Murray v Heaslip in different challenges, funny to watch. Surprising results in some!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=63&v=o2GNRLz0Kik link to one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

e.g.

Warwick is a loose head primarily. Wian Herbst is a tight head project player.
    Alan O'Connor is a second row of promise. Jacob Stockdale is a 13 who might be good - who knows. There is also a much lauded young man at Leinster who looks the dogs danglies and who we hope to see in green very soon....at 13. Wosisname?.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Glad to hear we have Stockdale coming through at 13, we're running low on centre options these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Newstalk podcast tonight..great 50 minute interview with ROG. Very good insight into how he was and where he's at now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

mfceiling wrote: »
    Newstalk podcast tonight..great 50 minute interview with ROG. Very good insight into how he was and where he's at now.

Really enjoyed that. ROG is always a good interviewee, actually says what he thinks and it's usually interesting, not meaningless cliches coached into him by media/PR experts. Good sense of humour too. Especially liked the bit about the early days with Munster, when they would go on the lash Saturday after a game and all day Sunday, then berate the trainer into reducing the number of sets on Monday morning cos they were all hanging. Different times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Zzippy wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that. ROG is always a good interviewee, actually says what he thinks and it's usually interesting, not meaningless cliches coached into him by media/PR experts. Good sense of humour too. Especially liked the bit about the early days with Munster, when they would go on the lash Saturday after a game and all day Sunday, then berate the trainer into reducing the number of sets on Monday morning cos they were all hanging. Different times!

+1 very enjoyable

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Zzippy wrote: »

Was that on newstalk? I heard ten minutes of a session with him and a few other guys GT included, and it was great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Stheno wrote: »
    Was that on newstalk? I heard ten minutes of a session with him and a few other guys GT included, and it was great

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/Rugby_on_Off_The_Ball/104617/Ronan_OGara_live_from_Cork_Opera_House

Heard conflicting things about Healy over the last couple of weeks but speaking to someone this morning it sounds like he has made a good recovery and turned a corner over the last fortnight. Back lifting full weights and able to take part in all training.

Is available to start for Leinster this weekend but think he won't as hasn't been with the set up enough. Slight chance might be on the bench supposedly but that was speculation.

In any case, sounds much more positive on that front.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just reading a thing there with Conor Murray and he's talking about working with Madigan at SH and it sounds like they've been working at it for the entire 10 week pre season.

I wonder if it's something Joe wanted from the start and was hoping Mads would prove a viable 3rd choice cover in case of emergency or was it a case of him giving Boss & Marmion every opportunity to show they were worth taking a spot in the 31 while keeping Mads as an option just in case they didn't impress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Heard conflicting things about Healy over the last couple of weeks but speaking to someone this morning it sounds like he has made a good recovery and turned a corner over the last fortnight. Back lifting full weights and able to take part in all training.

Is available to start for Leinster this weekend but think he won't as hasn't been with the set up enough. Slight chance might be on the bench supposedly but that was speculation.

This is great news, if true. What's the source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Healy is not involved with Leinster tomorrow anyway.

Sanjuro wrote: »
    This is great news, if true. What's the source?

Eh, they certainly weren't keeping a secret of it but all the same I don't want to name. In terms of their connection to some of the players however they've always been reliable with info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Eh, they certainly weren't keeping a secret of it but all the same I don't want to name. In terms of their connection to some of the players however they've always been reliable with info.

Ah yeah, that's fair enough. Just curious as to whether the source was actually involved with the team or was it a cousin's wife's mother's uncle if you get me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I took this on Tuesday at the open training session, seems to be coming along ok :)

1CrjADi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

What a beast is this guy:D
    mystic86 wrote: »
    I took this on Tuesday at the open training session, seems to be coming along ok :)

1CrjADi.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Ceadog

Maddog's boots are pretty spectacular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Ceadog wrote:

I'm glad John Hayes ain't around to see such abominations..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

anyone going to make a complete glutton of themselves for irelands games ???. if im off work than hopefully

cant wait for 11th october. Ireland vs France and Poland vs ROI in the soccer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ceadog wrote: »

Rainbow boots?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

When they train are they told in advance what to wear specifically?

They always seem to match perfectly...I guess it's a sponsor thing..

I wonder is it like that just for the Public/Media training sessions and if when they are training in private you get the more typical complete hodge podge of gear being worn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Quin_Dub wrote: »

I wonder is it like that just for the Public/Media training sessions and if when they are training in private you get the more typical complete hodge podge of gear being worn?

they will have specific sets of gear for each session. remember reading in one former players book about how it worked. But for an open day i would say it is very specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

All pundits have us as semi finalists, even Jones, but nobody picks us a winners :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

All pundits have us as semi finalists, even Jones, but nobody picks us a winners :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Wang King wrote: »

Well, we couldn't possibly win a semi against England or Wales...

That's fine. Let's just get there first. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

In the ST today, Peter O'Reilly reckons the likely team v Canada will feature Luke and DK on the wings with Henderson replacing Toner.

I'd be happy enough with that. I think Joe will stick with Toner but don't mind either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Healy, Best, Ross, POC, Henderson, POM, SOB, Heaslip;
    Murray, Sexton, Fitzgerald, Henshaw, Kearney, Kearney then?

In the ST today, Peter O'Reilly reckons the likely team v Canada will feature Luke and DK on the wings with Henderson replacing Toner.

I'd be happy enough with that. I think Joe will stick with Toner but don't mind either way.

Henderson is absolutely the player to go against Canada, we should dominate the set piece so having a ball carrier there is going to be more beneficial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Healy, Best, Ross, POC, Henderson, POM, SOB, Heaslip;
    Murray, Sexton, Fitzgerald, Henshaw, Kearney, Kearney then?

And Payne, but yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

And none of them picked England either- surprised at that (even if I wouldn't choose them myself), but it being an English/technically British paper and all.....

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Quin_Dub wrote: »

I remember there was a photo once of the training schedule given to players at camps and it specified what kit to wear at each session.

Really surprised that 2 of them picked Wales as semi finalists a couple of weeks ago maybe but without halfpenny and Webb I don't see it happening

• Advertisement

Interesting piece with Jamie Heaslip talking about how he felt when he was left out of the 2007 squad. The bits about Eddie O'Sullivan are interesting. Cheika too. http://www.the42.ie/jamie-heaslip-eddie-osullivan-2007-2320802-Sep2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

^ It's an interesting idea though. Today's players are better trained and physically fitter and all that but are they actually any more talented? If time travel is ever invented we could have a pretty good match.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement