Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

"Hey everyone, I'm still here! Don't forget uncle Franno"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That article is a rehash of what he's written before.

It just highlights how amateur we were at the time. I think some other players have come out and said that when they got to NZ they saw some of the All Blacks in ads by themselves, not as an AB but as a rugby player, and thinking that even if they thought about doing something like that back home the IRFU would come down on them very very hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

CatFromHue wrote: »
    That article is a rehash of what he's written before.

It just highlights how amateur we were at the time. I think some other players have come out and said that when they got to NZ they saw some of the All Blacks in ads by themselves, not as an AB but as a rugby player, and thinking that even if they thought about doing something like that back home the IRFU would come down on them very very hard.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/world-cup/comment/conor-oshea-forget-warmups-when-this-irish-team-focuses-it-delivers-31522437.html

COS is usually fairly good. Never much bullsh1t with him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

two very different articles there.

Francis's is about how amateur we used to be and what things were like in the first RWC

COS's is mostly about how the current team is going to get on in this RWC.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

two very different articles there.

Francis's is about how amateur we used to be and what things were like in the first RWC

COS's is mostly about how the current team is going to get on in this RWC.

I always enjoy reading/listening to COS

Think he's backing the all blacks for this wc

Anyone see him as Joe's replacement in the future?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

Stheno wrote: »
    I always enjoy reading/listening to COS

Think he's backing the all blacks for this wc

Anyone see him as Joe's replacement in the future?

No. I think he perfers the queen's shilling.

players are packing .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

aimee1 wrote: »
    players are packing .......

And buying squad presents for each other!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

sullivlo wrote: »
    And buying squad presents for each other!

Lots of gifts by the looks of it. Wonder what that's all about.

362242.png

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Think various businesses and brands give them stuff. I guess it's a promotional thing. "Here's a free set of expensive headphones, please tweet about it".

Lions tours get the same.

I remember watching a video about an All Blacks tour a few years ago and when the players turn up to get all their official gear (training shirts, shorts etc) they were each given a brand new iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

362242.png

Squad gifts. Raises morale etc

actually the SINDO has some really good stuff today. Just read the article about the 2007 RWC with input from players and EOS.

Give me some free stuff, I'll tweet about no problem.

Also if Aviva feel like rebuilding my house, I will gladly rename it the Aviva Mansion.

Yea Rob Kearney put a photo on instagram earlier of loads of bags from Newbridge Silverware who must have donated a gift to each player too.

Well paid and loads of free stuff, living the dream.

Dave Kearney got everyone a booklet of stamps, travel shower caps and free UK delivery pass of the farmers journal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Did I hear right that tv3 isn't gonna be broadcast in HD on saorview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

362242.png

I see the champagne there ready for October 31st :)

Dave Kearney got everyone a booklet of stamps, travel shower caps and free UK delivery pass of the farmers journal.

Don't forget the bonus Avon cleaning products catalogue! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Mike Ross got everyone a cheque for 5 old Irish pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

I remember the last World Cup every squad member had to buy everyone else a present. Jamie Heaslip bought everyone a pair of Beats headphones- typical!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Did I hear right that tv3 isn't gonna be broadcast in HD on saorview?

yep

andymx11 wrote: »
    I remember the last World Cup every squad member had to buy everyone else a present. Jamie Heaslip bought everyone a pair of Beats headphones- typical!

I kind of thought that's what was going on today except some of them just got freebies from sponsors, the lazy gits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I kind of thought that's what was going on today except some of them just got freebies from sponsors, the lazy gits.

That's generally what happened last time I think too. Plenty of the team seemed to lean on their sponsors or make a few calls to get some freebies/cheapies for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Healy got Conor McGregor to autograph a pic and write a note for everyone in the squad. Nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redmca2

What are the rules regarding the location of the teams between matches?

Will our team be obliged to take up residency in England for the duration of the tournament?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

redmca2 wrote: »
    What are the rules regarding the location of the teams between matches?

Will our team be obliged to take up residency in England for the duration of the tournament?
    Have to be in England for the tournament. Cant go home.
    Irelands bases will be:
    - Celtic Manor and Newport (Newport High School/Active Living Centre, The Celtic Academy)
    - St George’s Park
    - Surrey Sports Park
    - Sport Wales National Centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Have to be in England for the tournament. Cant go home.
    Irelands bases will be:
    - Celtic Manor and Newport (Newport High School/Active Living Centre, The Celtic Academy)
    - St George’s Park
    - Surrey Sports Park
    - Sport Wales National Centre

You piqued my anal retentive side by saying they had to stay in England but mentioning Welsh locations :) so I had a quick google and this suggests that it's even more restrictive than that and the teams have to choose out of a set number of locations i.e. they can't make their own arrangements independently of the organising committee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The Welsh really do get a great deal all the time from world cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi All,

Going by the above venues - I presume the team will be staying in Celtic Manor for the Cardiff games?

Was hoping the team hotel would be in the city center. Going to the QF and was planning on hitting the team hotel prior to the game to see them off.

I presume it's so that training can be monitored to make sure nobody outside the 31 man squad is present.

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi All,

Going by the above venues - I presume the team will be staying in Celtic Manor for the Cardiff games?

Was hoping the team hotel would be in the city center. Going to the QF and was planning on hitting the team hotel prior to the game to see them off.

They might still do. I think they sometimes move to a closer hotel for the night before games, though not sure if they'll do that in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

salmocab wrote: »

This despite Cardiff being categorically the worst place to accommodate a travelling crowd of supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Clearlier wrote: »
    You piqued my anal retentive side by saying they had to stay in England but mentioning Welsh locations :) so I had a quick google and this suggests that it's even more restrictive than that and the teams have to choose out of a set number of locations i.e. they can't make their own arrangements independently of the organising committee.
    Meant host nations but ....
    Yeah organising committee provided a longlist of venues and countries could choose out of those and those only
    salmocab wrote: »
    They do. Really hope this old boys network of trading votes for favours like games changes soon but until the voting system within World Rugby changes this will always be the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Any idea when the team for the Canada game will be announced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

techdiver wrote: »
    This despite Cardiff being categorically the worst place to accommodate a travelling crowd of supporters.

great stadium great buzz around town but easily the biggest pain in the arse of a city to get to and in and out of when thousands of others are doing likewise.

Any idea when the team for the Canada game will be announced?

I'm guessing Thursday or Friday. Not sure on exact World Cup rules, but we like announcing our teams late.

England are announcing their team for Friday in a few hours. It's all very exciting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

England are announcing their team for Friday in a few hours. It's all very exciting!

Well it should be, but I'm not feeling it yet.

bilston wrote: »
    Well it should be, but I'm not feeling it yet.

You don't want your excitement to peak just yet, it's a long way until we beat NZ in the final and it's going to be important to pace ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Whole squad is healthy http://www.the42.ie/cian-healy-injury-ireland-world-cup-2329575-Sep2015/

Would like to see Healy start against Canada and then get yanked off after about 20/30 mins. I don't like the idea of him being on the sub bench and McGrath get an injury early on that means Healy would have to play 50/60 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

b.gud wrote: »
    Whole squad is healthy http://www.the42.ie/cian-healy-injury-ireland-world-cup-2329575-Sep2015/

Would like to see Healy start against Canada and then get yanked off after about 20/30 mins. I don't like the idea of him being on the sub bench and McGrath get an injury early on that means Healy would have to play 50/60 mins

Rather unfortunate turn of phrase there. :o:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

awec wrote: »
    I'm guessing Thursday or Friday. Not sure on exact World Cup rules, but we like announcing our teams late.

Just to feed this forum:p

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

for the romania game which we are attending in london, we are going from friday to tuesdat and i was wondering is it surrey park they will be based i at that time, i would love to go have a look at them train, wud it be open to the public, anyone know wat hotel they are staying in

They're staying and training at St Georges Park (the England football academy place) for the Romania game I think.

Highly doubt it will be open to the public.

Second Captains did a sort of World Cup preview on their podcast today and Gerry Thornley was talking about France and he kept going on about Nigel Owens being the ref. He was saying things like it'll be a one point game... especially with Nigel Owens in charge. Or... it'll go right down to the 80th minute, especially with Nigel Owens reffing the game. What's he on about?

Owens as the ref with Barnes and Hodges at the touch judges, should be lots of talking that day!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Second Captains did a sort of World Cup preview on their podcast today and Gerry Thornley was talking about France and he kept going on about Nigel Owens being the ref. He was saying things like it'll be a one point game... especially with Nigel Owens in charge. Or... it'll go right down to the 80th minute, especially with Nigel Owens reffing the game. What's he on about?

I think he's suggesting (and I've heard to said elsewhere) that Owens has a tendency to "adjust" his refereeing to prevent one side gaining a clear advantage leading to games between top teams being very close affairs when he's in charge..

I'm not convinced myself - Don't think I really seen a whole lot of evidence to support it... but I've seen/heard the theory being put forth in a few different places.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I think he's suggesting (and I've heard to said elsewhere) that Owens has a tendency to "adjust" his refereeing to prevent one side gaining a clear advantage leading to games between top teams being very close affairs when he's in charge..

I'm not convinced myself - Don't think I really seen a whole lot of evidence to support it... but I've seen/heard the theory being put forth in a few different places.

Can't say I've ever noticed anything like that myself. It's logical that matches between two top teams would be close affairs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Hodges

So Henshaw and White out for this game, if he saw any kind of Connacht guys, he'll find a way to organize their defeat in additional or extra-time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Can't say I've ever noticed anything like that myself. It's logical that matches between two top teams would be close affairs anyway.

Exactly, he is the best referee in the world, he therefore tends to get most of the big matches which often tend to be close run things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Ceadog

Owens has become a bit of a notorious "homer" of late but I've never heard the adjusting his refereeing thing before.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement