Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Fireball07 wrote: »
    That's a very, very long time. I mean it's great but wow- that is a huge length. Think he's expected to be announced as the Lions coach too.
    It seems crazy but I think its the right move by the IRFU. Otherwise I think they would struggle to keep him on every renewal even if he had a bad year or two. Obviously the guy is committed to staying in Ireland for medium term (probably due to kids) so makes sense from his perspective as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

ken76 wrote: »

Part of me is delighted but that's a long time for a coach to be in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

stephen_n wrote: »
    Part of me is delighted but that's a long time for a coach to be in charge.

+1

We've form for doing this!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

That was a mistake, it's June 2017. http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/34968.php#.Va-jHvlVhBc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Fireball07 wrote: »
    That's a very, very long time. I mean it's great but wow- that is a huge length. Think he's expected to be announced as the Lions coach too.

it's a very long contract, like alan pardew at newcastle. Hope it does not turn sour like there !

Edit: it's only June 2017 , I was thinking 2023 was too long, for all parties involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Had to be posted.

borat.gif

LostArt wrote: »

Far more reasonable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

2017 makes a lot more sense.

I'm not a huge fan of pre-World Cup renewals though. I know that we were going to keep Joe no matter what, but it didn't work out so great the last couple of times iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Well that is pie on the face for the Indo... 2023 compared to 2017... Did someone scribble notes and write "3 years" as "8 years" and it was misread or something? Crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Larbre34 wrote: »

Great news that he'll be with us to defend our World Cup title on home soil in 2023. 😉

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

2017 makes absolutely no sense if he ends up being Lions coach. It would basically be a one year extension - bit useless.

I realize the risks with such an unusually long term deal but I would have been a lot happier with that than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Oh interesting? Major FU by the Indo?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

2017 makes more sense than 2023. 8 years would be insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Today FM reporting 2017 also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Oh interesting? Major FU by the Indo?

It's the Indo..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

The formality that is Joe Schmidt’s Contract extension with Ireland will be announced this afternoon by the IRFU.
    The New Zealander, who takes his team into the World Cup warm up series on August 8th, against Wales in Cardiff, will continue as head coach until the 2017 World Cup for which Ireland is one of the nations bidding to host the tournament. It is an unprecedented contract extension in Irish rugby history.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/international-rugby/breaking-huge-boost-for-irish-rugby-as-joe-schmidt-commits-to-2017-31396428.html

Indo doing a CTRL F and replace.... 2017 World Cup... where will that be played? Ireland apparently...

It's the Indo..

Aye of course, I was reluctant to cite it in the first place but the other outlets were saying nothing, now we know why!

How long of an extension is that? When did his original deal run out?

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »

2016 6N. So in effect its a season and a half. Not great. Although maybe better for both parties to review regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

2 year extension. It was due to run out this year - presumably after the RWC and before the 2016 6N

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

2017, I presume. Joe would not want to be contracted to 2023! Great news though - it's made my day!

No, reading it again, its only one year. New deal ends 2016/17 season, which is the Lions tour in June. As it was he was to finish end of 2015/16

2016 6N. So in effect its a season and a half. Not great. Although maybe better for both parties to review regularly
    .ak wrote: »
    2 year extension. It was due to run out this year - presumably after the RWC and before the 2016 6N

Which is it? :pac:

An 18 month extension would feel a bit non-committal. Two years a bit better.

I would suspect the time has been decided by Schmidt as I imagine the IRFU would have been happy to give him three years.

Which is it? :pac:

An 18 month extension would feel a bit non-committal. Two years a bit better.

I would suspect the time has been decided by Schmidt as I imagine the IRFU would have been happy to give him three years.

Its one year, one full season. certain
    Announcing the extension of Joe Schmidt's contract, IRFU Performance Director, David Nucifora said, "We believe that Joe is one of the leading coaches in world rugby so we are delighted that he has extended his contract and will continue to work in Irish Rugby until the end of the 2016/17 season.

• Advertisement

1 year is even more non committal.

TBH it's about right. I always think our performance in a RWC should say a lot about how we want to handle a coach's contract. It'll be reviewed this time next year no doubt.

One year is ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Any type of extension to his contract is great news

TBH it's about right. I always think our performance in a RWC should say a lot about how we want to handle a coach's contract. It'll be reviewed this time next year no doubt.

I have a hard time believing that the IRFU would only offer him a year after back to back 6 nations championship wins and the team in real winning form throughout his tenure.

More likely that JS only wants to commit until 2017 right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Joe Schmidt has signed a contract extension to remain in his role as Ireland head coach until June 2017.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/schmidt-signs-contract-extension-with-irfu--until-2017-687709.html

I reckon IRFU did well to keep him until then. Joe will almost certainly be the Lions coach for 2017..if he wants it. & Will prob take over from Hansen at the end of that seasons Rugby Championship.

I'm not so sure.

The Lions must be meant for him unless something goes very wrong, maybe he intends to head back south after that. If I recall correctly from talking to him one night a few years ago, his two older kids may well be finished college by summer 2017, his youngest son has his medical issues which were reported to have received treatment in Australia this year. All in all, the homeland may beckon.

I have a hard time believing that the IRFU would only offer him a year after back to back 6 nations championship wins and the team in real winning form throughout his tenure.

More likely that JS only wants to commit until 2017 right now.

Maybe, maybe not... I think IRFU will have learned a lot from their previous coaching fiasco.

Maybe, maybe not... I think IRFU will have learned a lot from their previous coaching fiasco.

Nope, don't believe it for a second. If that was their concern they'd just wait till after the World Cup. The length of the extension is solely down to Schmidt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

More than any coach we've had, personal/family life is a major factor for Joe and that might be a factor in not wanting to be signing ultra-long deals.

One would also hope the IRFU have learned their lessons in this regard too after Joe's two predecessors outstayed their welcomes...

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Nope, don't believe it for a second. If that was their concern they'd just wait till after the World Cup. The length of the extension is solely down to Schmidt.

I hear ya, but just on that, you'd imagine Schmidt would be keen to nail something down BEFORE the WC. There's two parties involved here.

A one year extension is about as half-baked as you can get in sport. It's the way of saying that we're still not sure about you, so you have another year to convince us (unless of course you are in the twilight of your career and re-evaluating your position on a year-to-year basis).

There is no way the IRFU are going to Joe Schmidt and only offering him one year. That would be insulting to the man given his performance in the role to date.

IMO the lure of a Lions tour and the possibility of future AB management will have made him reluctant to commit long term at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Didn't Gatland effectively take the year off before the last tour though? With the corporate approach to management now that is probably a prerequisite for the job. I think this makes it less likely that Joe will do the Lions tour and will instead go straight home (or wherever else he and his family choose to go). It is a possibility that the IRFU may have secured that commitment and so can announce the detail of the contract today.
    I also seem to recall that at one stage Deccie was a shoo-in for the last Lions tour according to many!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

It might only be a year extension but Im happy enough with the fact that hes already willing to commit himself to 2017 at least. We're not going to have him forever and to be honest I dont think that would be beneficial to him or us, 2017 is a full 4 years in charge and theres no suggestion yet that he wouldnt go another couple of years after that. 4 years is longer than hes ever coached anywhere including Leinster, so I dont think we could complain too much if he does move on in 2017 or a year or two later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I am happy that he has taken any extension at all. I would be surprised if he would want any longer that 2017 at this stage - I'd say the one year extension was his own choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

History seems to show that shelf life for most successful internationals coaches is 4-5 years so 2017 is about right.

However if Schmidt gets the Lions job would he not have to sit out the 2016/17 season for Ireland? In which case the one year extension would be pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

We'll know more by the end of October. Ireland could fail to make it out of the group, they could get to the quarters, or they could go further. Each of these different outcomes will have a big impact on Joe's future after the WC and in 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Oh look at that. Steve Hansen's contract also expires in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Oh look at that. Steve Hansen's contract also expires in 2017.

Unless Schmidt either gets to the RWC final or coaches the Lions to victory in NZ, I'd eat my hat if NZ gave him the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Buer wrote: »
    Unless Schmidt either gets to the RWC final or coaches the Lions to victory in NZ, I'd eat my hat if NZ gave him the job.

I know Henry got the job whilst coaching elsewhere but its hard to see NZ going outside the super 15 franchises for the next coach. They seem to have a bit of a career path there which would be a big draw for people getting NPC jobs and being able to see a way forward which is possibly missing in most countries for indigenous coaches.

salmocab wrote: »
    I know Henry got the job whilst coaching elsewhere but its hard to see NZ going outside the super 15 franchises for the next coach. They seem to have a bit of a career path there which would be a big draw for people getting NPC jobs and being able to see a way forward which is possibly missing in most countries for indigenous coaches.

Henry didn't even get it from elsewhere. He had finished up with Wales, returned to NZ and been technical adviser for the Blues in 2003 when they won the title, losing only a single game in the entire campaign.

I doubt his successful application was based on his involvement that season but I do think it probably helped that he was back coaching in NZ to a high standard and successfully.

Who else then, assuming Hansen departs?

Who else then, assuming Hansen departs?

Any one of a number of very impressive NZ based coaches.

- Jamie Joseph who just won the S15 with the Highlanders who were basement dwellers for years.
    - Dave Rennie, twice S15 champion with the Chiefs and 3 time U20 World Cup winning coach.
    - Chris Boyd, head coach of the Hurricanes and former NZ U20 coach
    - Ian Foster, current assistant coach, Junior All Blacks coach and had a successful stint in charge of the Chiefs prior to Rennie.

There's even guys like Scott Robertson who I was hoping Leinster would try to lure. Just won the U20 JWC with NZ and won the ITM Cup with Canterbury in his first season. I reckon he'll get a S15 appointment in the not too distant future.

NZ have a massive culture of promoting from within and fostering their coaching talent. In the 20 years of Super Rugby they've appointed a coach from outside of NZ only once to a head coach job and that was John Kirwan who turned out to be a disaster. I can't see them ever giving the top job to a bloke who hasn't coached in the southern hemisphere in over a decade. Schmidt is a great coach but his CV doesn't carry anywhere near the same weight in NZ as it does here.

If someone shows promise, they develop them and bring them into the central fold as early as possible. For example, Leon MacDonald impressed as backs coach for Tasman, a relatively low profile NPC side. He was brought into the coaching set up for the U20 side for this year's JWC and I reckon we'll see him move into a coaching role with a S15 side in future.

That's without mentioning guys like John Plumtree, Wayne Smith or Tana Umaga off the top of my head who are all based in NZ. They've coaches coming out their ears; it's ridiculous.

Honestly, he'd have to do both, and even then I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Honestly, he'd have to do both, and even then I'm not sure.

I think we buy into the "Joe is God" a little in Ireland, yet talking to kiwis I know, he's not even remotely on the radar.
    Would be interesting to find out if that's the general consensus in swiwi-land.....even though he's gone again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement