Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

.ak wrote: »
    Honestly, he'd have to do both, and even then I'm not sure.

I wasn't being totally serious bringing up the Hansen contract thing because I think you're right.

However, if it did come to pass that Ireland made a decent fist of the RWC and it still didn't get him onto the NZ "radar", then the NZers have a serious up-their-own-hole situation going on.

The Lions can be a poisoned chalice often as not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I wasn't being totally serious bringing up the Hansen contract thing because I think you're right.

However, if it did come to pass that Ireland made a decent fist of the RWC and it still didn't get him onto the NZ "radar", then the NZers have a serious up-their-own-hole situation going on.

The Lions can be a poisoned chalice often as not.

Why that's just crazy talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

baaba maal wrote: »
    I also seem to recall that at one stage Deccie was a shoo-in for the last Lions tour according to many!

A bit of an aside but I reckon that the Lions requires a specific skill set for a coach around bringing teams together in a short period of time and fostering a sense of purpose. For all my criticism of Kidney I think that he'd be a great fit for the lions*.

*Not a hope in hell of it ever happening obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Clearlier wrote: »
    A bit of an aside but I reckon that the Lions requires a specific skill set for a coach around bringing teams together in a short period of time and fostering a sense of purpose. For all my criticism of Kidney I think that he'd be a great fit for the lions*.

*Not a hope in hell of it ever happening obviously

That ship sailed a long time ago. If there ever was a ship. Or an ocean for that matter..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Just from a Kiwi's perspective.

JS is recognised as a good coach in NZ but not seen as the messiah he is in Ireland. You will find some kiwis even saying about Ireland's recent success " well of course. They're coached by a kiwi." (Not me!)

NZ is big on promoting from within. This results in a lot of coaches heading overseas. There's only 5 Super rugby head coaches and then the ABs. If guys put in the time and then don't move up, they go overseas. If JS came back and got the top job there would be a lot of pissed off people and he would get a very short honeymoon period. He would need instant success.

If he returns to NZ I think it's more likely he will get an assistants role at a Super team with the plan for him to take over in a year or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭UnitedWeStand

Here's hoping NZ really do buy into their promoting from within. JS is hailed as a messiah here, but that's based on 6 major honours in 5 seasons. Their loss is Ireland's gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Just from a Kiwi's perspective.

JS is recognised as a good coach in NZ but not seen as the messiah he is in Ireland. You will find some kiwis even saying about Ireland's recent success " well of course. They're coached by a kiwi." (Not me!)

NZ is big on promoting from within. This results in a lot of coaches heading overseas. There's only 5 Super rugby head coaches and then the ABs. If guys put in the time and then don't move up, they go overseas. If JS came back and got the top job there would be a lot of pissed off people and he would get a very short honeymoon period. He would need instant success.

If he returns to NZ I think it's more likely he will get an assistants role at a Super team with the plan for him to take over in a year or 2.

That seems a bit strange to be honest. You'd think they'd just go for the best man for the job, whether that's promotion from within or not. In terms of track record, would success with another top test nation not be seen as superior to super rugby success. As an Irishman I'd prefer a coach who'd been successful with Aus/SA to someone who'd been coaching a top ERCC team, all else equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Flipper22 wrote: »
    That seems a bit strange to be honest. You'd think they'd just go for the best man for the job, whether that's promotion from within or not. In terms of track record, would success with another top test nation not be seen as superior to super rugby success. As an Irishman I'd prefer a coach who'd been successful with Aus/SA to someone who'd been coaching a top ERCC team, all else equal.

I can see both sides of the argument. Proven test record vs. protecting home grown talent.

As long as the next ABs coach isn't Gatland or Deans, I'm happy.

I think signing JS till 2017 might mean he's not going for the Lions job. Gatland took the preceding season off for the last Lions tour so why would the IRFU want to extend Joe's contract if he's not going to be there?

Does the Lions coach have to be one of the head coaches of the 4 unions? Or can they hire an outsider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Lions coach has to take the season off to focus solely on the role. Personally prefer him just to stick with Ireland.

An international job can be a step to NZ job. Pretty sure Grahame Henry went straight from Wales to top job. Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Flipper22 wrote:

They view it the same way they view players. If they start selecting a guy based abroad, what's to stop the best coaches chasing money knowing they can get a shot at the NZ set up from abroad?

They lose the top coaches, their domestic players are overseen by inferior coaches and the whole structure suffers.

NZ rugby develops it all in parallel ensuring their best talent is nurtured and available on and off the field.

In NZ, the top job is seen as the be all and end all. Even being assistant coach for NZ is a very prestigious appointment. The assistants are normally highly qualified and respected head coaches in their own right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭UnitedWeStand

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I can see both sides of the argument. Proven test record vs. protecting home grown talent.

As long as the next ABs coach isn't Gatland or Deans, I'm happy.

I think signing JS till 2017 might mean he's not going for the Lions job. Gatland took the preceding season off for the last Lions tour so why would the IRFU want to extend Joe's contract if he's not going to be there?

Does the Lions coach have to be one of the head coaches of the 4 unions? Or can they hire an outsider?

Any coach deemed suitable can be hired.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Some good news which may have been missed in the announcement of Joe Schmidt's contract extension: Wales v Ireland on 8th August will be live on BBC Wales. Not sure if BBC NI or RTE have confirmed rights to this one though. I thought Sky had the rights but a quick look through their upcoming fixtures says apparently not (and the rights wouldn't have been sold to the BBC if they had).

http://m.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/33624212

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

icdg wrote: »
    Some good news which may have been missed in the announcement of Joe Schmidt's contract extension: Wales v Ireland on 8th August will be live on BBC Wales. Not sure if BBC NI or RTE have confirmed rights to this one though. I thought Sky had the rights but a quick look through their upcoming fixtures says apparently not (and the rights wouldn't have been sold to the BBC if they had).

http://m.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/33624212

Are these games not essentially the Autumn Internationals, at least from a broadcasting rights perspective. Therefore the BBC has the UK rights to Welsh and Scottish games and Sky have the rights to Ireland and England home matches. That being the case Wales v Ireland should be shown nationally (UK) by the BBC. Not that that matters particularly anymore as BBC Wales is easily accessible anywhere in the Uk and Ireland.

Nope, they're separate for some reason. The Ireland home games will be exclusively live on Sky, whereas for Autumn Internationals RTE would also have live rights in the Republic. As an aside apparently BT have got the live rights to Scotland's home RWC warm up games.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

So Wales V Ireland is only on BBC Wales? Have I got that on UPC? I pay a fortune for BT & Sky so I hope to god I do!!!!

andymx11 wrote: »
    So Wales V Ireland is only on BBC Wales? Have I got that on UPC? I pay a fortune for BT & Sky so I hope to god I do!!!!

It's not on UPC but I'd be pretty sure the game will be on RTE.

It's not on UPC but I'd be pretty sure the game will be on RTE.

Yea it would be strange if it was only on BBC Wales! Couldn't find it on the RTE website- any way to confirm?

It's not without precedent- IIRC one of the 2011 warm up games was only on the BBC and not RTE - the game against Scotland. However, on that occasion BBC NI were good enough to show the game which meant UPC viewers could watch.

It's not without precedent- IIRC one of the 2011 warm up games was only on the BBC and not RTE - the game against Scotland. However, on that occasion BBC NI were good enough to show the game which meant UPC viewers could watch.

Yea I have no issues with it being shown on BBC NI. Starting to panic now! I wish Sky or RTE would just announce they they have the rights!!!

Yea I have no issues with it being shown on BBC NI. Starting to panic now! I wish Sky or RTE would just announce they they have the rights!!!

I sent RTE an email and they have confirmed they don't have the rights for this game.

Seems likely that it will only be on BBC Wales. Can it be streamed from the BBC website from ROI?

• Advertisement

Radio Wales would be your only bet there, all non-news video is geoblocked on the BBC website.

S4C isn't geoblocked, but they're only showing highlights.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No discussion of how to get around geolocked content is allowed. Post deleted.

Radio Wales would be your only bet there, all non-news video is geoblocked on the BBC website.

S4C isn't geoblocked, but they're only showing highlights.

Thanks. Am I the only one who is shocked that an Ireland game will not be available in Ireland on free to air or on Sky etc? This has just made my Monday worse than a typcial Monday! Will pubs have access to BBC Wales? Sorry for all the questions but I just can't think of the last time I couldn't watch an Ireland game from Ireland!!

TBH I'd be shocked if BBC NI doesn't ultimately show it too, even if RTE don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Thanks. Am I the only one who is shocked that an Ireland game will not be available in Ireland on free to air or on Sky etc? This has just made my Monday worse than a typcial Monday! Will pubs have access to BBC Wales? Sorry for all the questions but I just can't think of the last time I couldn't watch an Ireland game from Ireland!!

Any pub who has a sky box should have access to BBC Wales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

It is available in Ireland on FTA, unfortunately you just don't have the set-up to access it (much like those who missed out on USA v Ire or Arg v Ire due to lack of a Sky TV / Sky Sports sub).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

If you have Sky you should be able to add bbc wales through the additional channels option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

If you have Sky you should be able to add bbc wales through the additional channels option

Oh you can, and I frequently use it for Pro12 matches. BUT that is because I have a dish pointing to Astra and have added it to my list of Other Channels. It is free, but can't be recorded on a Sky+ box AFAIK. I think it outrageous that UPC customers won't be able to get it. Let's hope BBC NI show it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

98 FM / Today FM are reporting that it's unlikely Cian Healy will make the World Cup as his recovery is taking longer than expected. Please god they got it wrong

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Synode wrote: »
    98 FM / Today FM are reporting that it's unlikely Cian Healy will make the World Cup as his recovery is taking longer than expected. Please god they got it wrong

Read that in the indo this morning :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah rumour seems to be gathering steam allright. Although depending on the source there's a glass half empty or half full view on this. According to one rumour there's a risk he won't make it but they're hopefully he'll feature in the warm ups.

Apparently he can't close his left hand into a fist. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Stheno wrote: »
    Read that in the indo this morning :(

The Indo have been inaccurate in teh past.....clutching at straws...

vienne86 wrote: »
    The Indo have been inaccurate in teh past.....clutching at straws...

Ya but they've redeemed any previous inacuracies when reporting the length of the contract extension for Joe :D

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah rumour seems to be gathering steam allright. Although depending on the source there's a glass half empty or half full view on this. According to one rumour there's a risk he won't make it but they're hopefully he'll feature in the warm ups.

Apparently he can't close his left hand into a fist. :eek:

Jaysus - that would be a nightmare if he uses his left hand for shaking

his protein drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Jaysus - that would be a nightmare if he uses his left hand for shaking

his protein drinks.

Someone had to go there. I'm just surprised it wasn't Wang!

• Advertisement

If in doubt shouldnt play in warm ups. Mcgrath is fine but id rather have him as a bench option than not there and risking the chance of a third choice coming in

molloyjh wrote: »
    Someone had to go there. I'm just surprised it wasn't Wang!

:D

I was half expecting you to go there

around three month ago before anyone else would have gotten it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

If in doubt shouldnt play in warm ups. Mcgrath is fine but id rather have him as a bench option than not there and risking the chance of a third choice coming in

Can you clarify what you mean please?
    Is it you would prefer McGrath not to start if Healy is not available as you wouldn't want a weaker player to come on at the end of a match?
    I'd guess Kilcoyne is the next in line after McGrath, so in that case Kilcoyne would start with McGrath to be an impact sub.
    I would prefer McgGrath to start and have Kilcoyne on the bench.
    McGrath was excellent this season for Ireland and deserves to start if Healy is out.
    Kilcoyne should be good enough to come in with 20 to go and give a decent account of himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

osvpu.jpg

Zzippy wrote: »
    osvpu.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• Advertisement

Can you clarify what you mean please?
    Is it you would prefer McGrath not to start if Healy is not available as you wouldn't want a weaker player to come on at the end of a match?
    I'd guess Kilcoyne is the next in line after McGrath, so in that case Kilcoyne would start with McGrath to be an impact sub.
    I would prefer McgGrath to start and have Kilcoyne on the bench.
    McGrath was excellent this season for Ireland and deserves to start if Healy is out.
    Kilcoyne should be good enough to come in with 20 to go and give a decent account of himself.
    What I meant was if healy is a doubt id rather not have him play any warm up games and still be in squad than play in a warm up game if it will set him back.

If he can make the squad and get a game against Romania id be happier with that than having McGrath and Kilcoyne.

The Indo today says that the Healy rumours are coming via "bush telegraph", which is gas considering they're the ones who started the rumour with not even a hint of a source.

I'm at work, can I even google "bush telegraph" to see what it is?

The Indo today says that the Healy rumours are coming via "bush telegraph", which is gas considering they're the ones who started the rumour with not even a hint of a source.

Ah in fairness there's been murmurs from all over since the surgery.

I do think they're making a bit of a mountain out of it just to sell some papers, but there's certainly truth in the doubts over him.

However, the level of doubts is completely unknown. You could apply the same to any player who went under the knife in the last 6 months. I'd say the medical staff won't know for certain if Healy is fully fit until around the warm up games.

I'm at work, can I even google "bush telegraph" to see what it is?

Hahah... Depends on what circles you're in!

Bush telegraph is similar to the 'grape vine' etc.

It's supposed to imply the word/gossip of the locals.

Apparently there's talk of NZ vs Ireland in Chicago next year.....might be worth a trip!

Zzippy wrote: »
    osvpu.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Apparently there's talk of NZ vs Ireland in Chicago next year.....might be worth a trip!
    That would be class. I was at Soldier Field last month and it's a cool ground. It would be better for the locals to see a competitive match than watch the US Eagles getting routed. It's holds ~10k more than the Aviva and you could probably charge higher prices. The downside is when would we play them next in Dublin? 2008, 2010, 2013, 2016 (Chicago)....2019 next?!

That would be class. I was at Soldier Field last month and it's a cool ground. It would be better for the locals to see a competitive match than watch the US Eagles getting routed. It's holds ~10k more than the Aviva and you could probably charge higher prices. The downside is when would we play them next in Dublin? 2008, 2010, 2013, 2016 (Chicago)....2019 next?!

Apparently NZRFU are looking at a double header of NZ Maori vs US Eagles and NZ vs Ireland. Obviously it's not a done deal yet but that would be pretty cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Apparently NZRFU are looking at a double header of NZ Maori vs US Eagles and NZ vs Ireland. Obviously it's not a done deal yet but that would be pretty cool.

It's the perfect arena for John Hayes to make his rugby comeback at 43.

A double header would certainly encourage more to travel over. Hopefully the Euro is a bit stronger by then.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement