Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crashing a Ford Focus at 120mph

• 26-01-2015 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Check this out. It's a poignant reminder that crash energy increases with a square relationship to speed.

Double the speed, quadruple the crash force.

http://i.imgur.com/BOZr41L.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Better not crash head-on into an immovable object at 120mph so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A quick rub of T-Cut and it will buff out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thats why 2 penalty points and a stern talking to is the right answer to somebody driving down the motorway the wrong direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

don't worry, it's not a real ST170

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thats why 2 penalty points and a stern talking to is the right answer to somebody driving down the motorway the wrong direction.

Is this ever not going to be the stock stupid answer?

Has anyone gotten away with just getting 2 points when caught driving the wrong way on a motorway?

• Advertisement

only posthumously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Some good videos of head on impacts on DTC's youtube channel. Even 112 km/h which is far slower (and a more realistic speed on a public road) is a horribly sudden stop.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Penalty%20Points%20Chart1.pdf

That's what the penalty is. Maybe they'd combine it with another offence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Mechanic365

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Better not crash head-on into an immovable object at 120mph so :)

Ya like ffs it's not like I was going to do it tomorrow because I wanted to see what it would be like, especially not in an st170 :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭lassykk

Is this ever not going to be the stock stupid answer?

Has anyone gotten away with just getting 2 points when caught driving the wrong way on a motorway?

My cousin drove the wrong way on to the motorway and proceeded to plough into a mini bus... No points / no ban

I have caused family arguments by saying that level of stupidity and wrecklessness should be a permanent driving back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

It'd be over instantly at that speed. The engine shears off its mounts and crushes you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

It'd be over instantly at that speed. The engine shears off its mounts and crushes you.

Yeah only for that you would survive.

Liteace FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Most crash tests are proceeded at speeds of around 50-60km/h and that's realistic speed at which occupants still have some chance of surviving when hitting stationary object.
    Above that, chances are very very slim.

However on the other hand, it seldom happens someone hits the wall at high speeds.
    Even if you are travelling at 150km/h and skid, leave the road and hit the wall, most likely by the time you are hitting it your speed is already greatly reduced. That's why lots of people involved in accidents when driving at relatively high speeds still manage to survive.

Still woulnd't be 120mph unless he was speeding in the wrong direction.

CiniO wrote: »
    Still woulnd't be 120mph unless he was speeding in the wrong direction.

Would I be right in saying that two cars colliding head on, each doing 60pmh, is the same (effectively) as a single car going 120mph into a stationery object?

Would I be right in saying that two cars colliding head on, each doing 60pmh, is the same (effectively) as a single car going 120mph into a stationery object?

No, that's not right.

In ideal conditions, two identical cars, both doing 60mph colliding exactly straight head on, would have the same consequences as each of those cars crashed into a concrete wall at 60mph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Here's another interesting crash test from Fifth Gear. A modern light Renault Modus with a 5-star Euro NCAP rating has a head-on collision with a big old heavy Volvo 940GLE estate.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Here's a 2009 saloon vs. a big old classic tank. Note that the 1959 Chevy's driver's compartment is fairly mangled, while the modern one's is hardly bent:

unfortunately, all the modern safety features don't stop your brain and other organs bouncing about and getting mangled. not sure what they can do with that except devlope automatic cars that can't crash into each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

corktina wrote: »
    unfortunately, all the modern safety features don't stop your brain and other organs bouncing about and getting mangled. not sure what they can do with that except devlope automatic cars that can't crash into each other.

Five-point harness and a €700 Arai, I suppose. But I can't see the punters going for it. :pac:

Advertisement