Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom Fan

Options
  • 26-01-2015 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

If installing a new fan in upstairs bathroom which previously didn't have a fan - whats the norm regarding ducting this to outside - is it usually done by electrician.
    Is ducting into the attic space any good - it will clear the problem with mold in the bathroom but will it create problems in attic
    Can flexible ducting be ran as far as the soffit vents.
    Or will a builder be needed to install a slate/tile vent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

A 4 inch bathroom fan Will not sort the mould problems. Bathroom fan is for smells not steam. Much better off putting in a vent, 2nd vent or a wall fan but not a bathroom fan. Something like a kitchen expelair fan.

The ducting should go to the soffit vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭John Electrician33

Surely it will help though - whats the difference between a wall vent and a fan which is vented to outside

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Surely it will help though

Yes it will.

I agree with ducting all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

If installing a new fan in upstairs bathroom which previously didn't have a fan - whats the norm regarding ducting this to outside - is it usually done by electrician.
    Is ducting into the attic space any good - it will clear the problem with mold in the bathroom but will it create problems in attic
    Can flexible ducting be ran as far as the soffit vents.
    Or will a builder be needed to install a slate/tile vent

I put one in my parents house, it's a simple job, wired it to the light switch, and ran a duct over to the soffit and just pointed it down into the soffit from insde the attic.
    Its great for sucking out steam, you can actually see the steam being sucked in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

My en suite is so small that I put 2 extract fans in. A 12VDC unit in the shower cubicle and a mains voltage unit that goes straight through the wall. They are very effective.

• Advertisement
Advertisement