Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Septic tank system pump query

• 26-01-2015 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Need advice,

We have been living in our new house 16 months, it as a septic tank with pump to percolation area. I have no idea how any of it works Unfortunately.

At the weekend I noticed the water was not far from the top of the drain in the garden just behind the kitchen sink. On further inspection I notice the sewage drain also very full and from reading here, I think maybe the pump is not working as we had a few power failures over the past few months.

How on earth do I find someone to have a look at it, I googled it and it seems to be a kingspan system, do I just phone them and ask for a service,

Our builder was not local, ended up bust, engineer fecked off to Oz without finishing and to be honest I am out of my depth but willing to learn, I know it's a bit late but...... Better late than never,

Any advice would be appreciated,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Sorry to hear about that.

Firstly I would check if pump is getting any power. The pump is in a pump chamber which is located between septic tank and percolation area.
    It could be something as simple as a tripped switch at the fuse board.

If not that you will have to lift the lid on the pump chamber, the pump should be suspended in the chamber and is activated when the float is raised by the level of the water. If you can reach down with a stick and raise the float and the pump should start. Sometimes the float can get caught against the pump and not be able to rise. Wear gloves when doing this.

If it still does not work either your pump is broken or it's a power issue ie damaged cable. An electrician would be the next port of call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Thanks for the reply,

Checked fuse board yesterday, all was ok,

I remember the guy fitting the pump, but when I tried to open the lid, it seemed stuck closed, so I left it,

I am off Weds, so will give it another look,

I appreciate your guidance,

As for wearing gloves, sure I had on 3 pairs in typical female fashion yesterday, am not squeamish, and not afraid of hard work,

And will find a recommended electrician if needed, oh the trials and tribulations .....

Ok best of luck, if it's an electrical issue leave it to the experts and don't leave the pump chamber lid off unattended especially with toddlers and pets. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Hi and thanks for the advice.

The power was not getting to the pump, I tripped the switch in the hope of restarting it. Then went out and the pump was not playing ball. Went to a neighbour who phoned a plumber for me, who was out within the hour. In the pouring snow he checked the pump, and turns out the switch was stuck on the pump. €20 euro to fix, happy days,

Thank you, I would never attempt any DIY unless confident, and appreciated your advice

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Hi and thanks for the advice.

The power was not getting to the pump, I tripped the switch in the hope of restarting it. Then went out and the pump was not playing ball. Went to a neighbour who phoned a plumber for me, who was out within the hour. In the pouring snow he checked the pump, and turns out the switch was stuck on the pump. €20 euro to fix, happy days,

Thank you, I would never attempt any DIY unless confident, and appreciated your advice

No bother and I'm delighted you got it sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement